The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
    Suffolk, VA

Default Skunks Under the Chicken Coop

Fun on the farm this morning. It never ends...truly....

I moved my hens this morning from an open field to a shaded area for the heat wave we are having. It it a simple matter of hooking it up to my truck and pulling it after I disconnect hoses and stuff.

I had noticed that my egg production had dropped dramatically the last week or so also. I thought it was heat possibly or hens getting ready to molt...was not sure...but it was baffling.

So this morning I hook up the truck, bang around the coop tidying up before I moved, got in my truck and pulled forward. I looked back to the left in my mirror (I was turning left) and there were three skunks I had uncovered who were nesting under the coop which is on skids. I was at a safe distance so I stepped out of the truck and WHEW...PE had sprayed. Thankfully it had not gotten my coop or anything that matters but it will be a while before I quit smelling skunk stench on my farm.

Now I know what happened to my finally makes sense. Also I found a chicken off from the coop a ways with it's head chewed off a few days ago...clearly the work of the skunk now also.

So never a dull moment on the farm...What a way to start the day.

Never a dull moment, is there.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I'll trade your skunks for my colony of Disney Rats in my non-movable coop (former metal toolshed).

They moved in this Fall after the nearby fields got cut & seeing as there is a Free Buffet of layer pellets have seen no need to relocate.

I tried poison bait pellets and, of course, the first day after I dropped them down the holes I saw my chickens playing keepaway with a dead rat.
    Which I took away from them...imagine the neighbors seeing me doing that

Being bloodthirsty little raptors I figured the chickens would put the kibosh on the rodent invasion.
    Both species are coexisting peacefully.
    I can almost hear them singing Kumbaya...

I stopped leaving feed out at night.
    And so far no eggs or chickens have been hurt, but I can hear the little varmints in the walls and they are not at all shy about making an appearance in broad daylight to raid the feeder in the coop.

I tell myself if they had stubby tails & a stripe down their backs I'd think they were cute.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015