The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Your favorite slow feeder hay net for field use?

My pastures are just about done. I've started giving hay loose on the ground but I hate seeing the waste. Also, the horses are chubby enough that they don't need free choice, so after they finish their hay they nibble at non-existant grass or stand around. I have Freedom Feeders for stall use and I've been reasonably happy with them. I have the small size which holds 2 flakes of hay (about 8-10 lb) and mainly use it for an obnoxious pony. After a year of yanking on it and trying to kill it, the only wear on the Freedom Feeder is that the ties used to tie it to the stall have broken...which are easy enough to replace.
    I thought about getting the large size for field use but they're expensive so I was wondering about cheaper options?
    I'm just not sure what else is out there besides the NibbleNet, which is more expensive then the Freedom Feeder.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

I highly recommend any of the Cinch Chix Nets

I use one of the California Nets which holds 1 1/2 of my squares. I hang it up high from the cinch end and then use another caribiner on the other end to snap it onto a chain on the fence or gate... this turns it into a hay hammock, but above hoof level.

I also use their round bale net during the winter.

They're very tough nets!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I have Freedom Feeders and NibbleNets and the NibbleNets are worth the extra $$. They are much, much sturdier.

Just got three more Nibble Nets. Triple digit heat for 20+ days has burned up the grass in North Texas and we are feeding hay already.
    The money Nibble Nets saved me in wasted hay has paid for them.
    Great quality product made in Americia.
    Larry Garner
    Spalding Fly Predators

I just crochet my own nibble nets from the poly twine I save from bales of hay. They are practically indestructible and I can make the holes any size I want. I can also make the overall bag any size I want.

I have a few "nibble nets" out of the green/orange safety fencing used for temporary job sites. I use bailing twine to stitch the sides. Mine holds at least 3 flakes of hay and is indestructable. I love those things. I toss them in the hay manger of my trailer when travelling. I fill it and toss it on the ground when I need to feed hay that way. It has lasted a couple of years so far!!! Cheap money too. If you go to a construction site that has it, you can get it for free after they are done with it. Instead of throwing it away, it is a great repurposing idea!!!
    Life is too short to argue with a mare! Just don't engage! It is much easier that way!

Have fun, be safe, and let the mare think it is her idea!

I love my freedom feeders

Just got one of these:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=218875265

They call it a "Large Mesh Hay Net," but the holes are the same size as the "Small Mesh" one I already own. The net itself is huge. I can fit almost an entire ~65 lb bale in it, less one flake. I think it will stretch even more as the knots tighten and settle in.

It's decent for the price and seems like it will hold up. At $20, it's a great option for the cheapskates out there.
    Last edited by Sithly; Jul. 28, 2011 at 04:40 PM.

Cinchchix hay nets work great and hold up super! We have 7 of them in our round bale feeders!

Smart Pak has the same one in the Dover Saddlery link on sale for $9.90. It is smaller than it looks in the picture and a real pain to fill. Hay will last a long time in them though.

If you mean this one, it's not the same product. http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartp...x?cm_vc=Search

This one is also not the same: http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=218882206 This one is way smaller. I have one of these too, and it holds maybe four flakes, max. I don't find it hard to fill, though. I just put the bale on end and stretch the net over it.

This is the one I just got. http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=218882206 It's huge (I put an entire bale into it this afternoon), and it has has alternating bands of red and black string. I believe Shires Equestrian makes them. If you find these on sale, let me know -- if they're only $10 bucks each that's a bargain and I'd get a bunch more.

Equestrian Collections has them for $17.90. Their shipping is usually more reasonable and doesn't take FOREVER like Dover's does. http://www.equestriancollections.com...upcode=SE00055

It's pretty easy to make your own with hockey netting.
    Barrier netting works well, or if you want really, really beefy ones, use goal netting.
    I get mine from Arizona Sports along with the cord to close them up. You can call them up and see if they have any odd sizes they want to get rid of, and they will also give you actual shipping.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

I have the Cinchchix nets for round bales and highly recommend them. They really work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sithly View Post
    Just got one of these:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=218875265

They call it a "Large Mesh Hay Net," but the holes are the same size as the "Small Mesh" one I already own. The net itself is huge. I can fit almost an entire ~65 lb bale in it, less one flake. I think it will stretch even more as the knots tighten and settle in.

It's decent for the price and seems like it will hold up. At $20, it's a great option for the cheapskates out there.
    Thanks for posting this! I've been using the small mesh hay nets from Dover/Miller for a couple years, and LOVE them, but would like to be able to fit more hay in one. I'll definitely be ordering one of these.

Hmm, I think I might try the one from Dover...I have some money left on a gift card for there. Oh course shipping will be ridiculous but oh well.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013