The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thumbs up jmho !!

She who dies with the most leather WINS!!

And I'm into oiling all my leather. Boots too. I use Flexalan or Hydrophane. I was told oiling once a year is recommended with just wiping off or Murphys Oil Soap cleaning when needed. I asked at 2 different local leather working shops who make saddles/tack/boots etc. They recommend using thinner oils as they soak in and don't leave residue on the outside. Warming them before you apply is good especially for the first time. Open pores on the leathers skin and melts the wax applied to new tack for protection. So they said oils like mink/mineral are thicker. Good for work boots maybe. Finer (smaller pored skin leather) leather needs thinner oils. Oil helps soften/waterproof/protect leather. Like your own skin; wax & soaps can be sticky or drying.

I always oil new boots. REALLY helps them soften/mold and settle onto your leg. Oiling boots/tack until it stops soaking in then let sit and then wipe off excess. All you need has soaked in. Oiling also prevents the dye from getting on your pants/saddlepad. Boot polish is good for applying AFTER IF you want it. Use it definitely to "re-dye" the areas that get rubbed out. I only use polish on the toes.

These tips are from those leather workers. Not mine! I find it really works!

I think this will have to be a permanent thread for the posting of good deals on brown field boots. I just got myself a second pair, lovely dark brown Marlboroughs. I still have the Dehners with the crumbling cuff lining, I'm going to try to bring them in to Journeyman's next weekend & see if they can do anything with them. If not, they'll be very fancy schooling boots

I like the Lexol leather conditioner, and on my everyday boots I have used Tanner's oil on the foot to make them a bit more water repellent. I can't get them super-shiny, but I actually prefer the quieter "glow" of a well worn and well buffed boot. After having polish come off on a saddle pad once, I no longer put any polish on the inside of my boots, only the foot, outside & front.

My great grandfather used to only wash & polish the front of the car. He figured it only mattered when people were coming toward him & could see it was him driving. I guess I'm that way with boots

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dehner-Brown...item3a79a590b0

these are up on ebay right now. size 7 1/2 or 8 ladies.

For the guys out there, or gals who can wear a men's 8.5:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290797521467...84.m1438.l2649

Beautiful, brand new Dehners

Brown Dehner's....too short for me!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dehner-brown...item416ed881b7

Thank you for the bump on this thread. I would die to have some brown field boots and some brown gloves. I just think it is so classic and polished. Brown boots, tan breeches a lovely jacket with some brown in it, gloves and hunt cap in brown. -sigh-

1 members found this post helpful.

The Facebook Sidesaddle group just scored me a pair of brrrrrrrown ones for waaaayy under $100 including shipping from Crossroads tackshop in Lebanon PA. Measurements and photos suggest they may be a tich roomy for my chubby calves but I'm thinking that will be a nice change.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

1 members found this post helpful.

Can anyone speak to the longevity of the HKM's?
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Attention Idaho peeps:

http://boise.craigslist.org/grd/3606424983.html

http://boise.craigslist.org/grd/3607485762.html

The seller won't ship or do PayPal, which is a tragedy as I would have bought all three pairs.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Ugh, these look perfect for me and the SOB listing them won't ship to Canada! Freaking annoying!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-DEHN...item51a90937be

Someone needs to give them a good home!

Corky, if you really want them, PM me. The selleris willing, they can ship them to me and I'll ship them on to you.

Make sure you check your measurements. The listing says 9.5 but the measurement indicates they are 7.5. If you calf was a tad smaller, I'd buy them!

Thanks for the offer Hinderella, I need to get rid of the pair I have and can't fit into before I go buying another pair. I appreciate your offer of enabling though

jherold, that is a great point. Wishful thinking on the measurements s how I ended up with a pair that look lovely, sitting on the shelve, since I can't possibly get them on my legs :S

Mine (referenced earlier in this thread) are sitting around doing nothing since I retired my horse if anyone has a bigger foot. I ordered a 9.5, but they're very roomy (I'd venture to say a 10 would vet in them). And, I bought a lovely Charles Owen helmet to go with them....sigh!

Muffin, sent you a PM.
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

*My* brown boots in action....

http://www.lizcallar.com/scripts/exp...filesize=large

Hunted 5 times in a row during Bull Run's march Madness week last week. So they finally got a workout.

3 members found this post helpful.

For those of you with the brown HKMs, did you order a taller size anticipating a drop or did you order a size that matched your actual leg height? Did they drop very much? How much did the calf stretch out? (I'm currently 1cm too fat for standard size, but still losing weight) The dogwood person said they get a lot of returns for them running short and I don't want to get stuck with too-short boots after paying that much for shipping. Thanks!

Public service announcement:

I saw a pair of gorgeous Dehner brown field boots at The Surrey last week. They were for a petite lady so I didn't look too close at the size. Looked barely worn.

Another Brown Boot PSA, for the gentlemen out there:
    Absolutely gorgeous, virtually unused men's size 12 Dehner's dragoon leather. They're so nice I tried to talk Mr. Hinderella into taking up riding

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261209279969...84.m1438.l2649