The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Prominent foxhunter murdered

A prominent socialite and the wife of a millionaire McDonald’s franchise owner was found dead in her Westchester County home this week, and the New York State Police said on Tuesday that they believed she was murdered.

.... Ms. Colley was married to Eugene Colley, 88, who made his fortune through his ownership of more than 100 McDonald’s franchises, and the family was well known in the community.

They were passionate fox hunters, and Mr. Colley has served as the commander in chief of hunts — formally, the master of the foxhounds — during hunts on the family estate in the past.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/11/ny...T.nav=top-news
    Last edited by FatDinah; Jan. 21, 2016 at 11:40 PM. Reason: some found objection

Or a Hot Blood sequel.

3 members found this post helpful.

They were from North Salem, NY, not NJ.

Yes New York, sorry for the typo.

I am surprised at the offhand comparison of this woman's death to a work of fiction. She was a person that was apparently murdered.

Because you learn of a crime online shouldn't make it a gleeful, tabloid headline for you, to compare with horsey crime novels, at the expense of the feelings of her friends and relatives.

I am disgusted at the flippancy of your posts here in regard to a person's violent death.Perhaps some people post without thinking their comments through? You do not realize that some of her people may be reading your words?

29 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer13 View Post
    Or a Hot Blood sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by FatDinah View Post
    Not sure if this sounds like a Law and Order episode or a Dick Francis novel.

A prominent socialite and the wife of a millionaire McDonald’s franchise owner was found dead in her Westchester County home this week, and the New York State Police said on Tuesday that they believed she was murdered.

.... Ms. Colley was married to Eugene Colley, 88, who made his fortune through his ownership of more than 100 McDonald’s franchises, and the family was well known in the community.

They were passionate fox hunters, and Mr. Colley has served as the commander in chief of hunts — formally, the master of the foxhounds — during hunts on the family estate in the past

Not a work of fiction and not entertainment.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    Not a work of fiction and not entertainment.
    Thank you skydy.
    How very sad for this lady and her family and friends.

2 members found this post helpful.

OMG.

I did not know them personally, but I knew their son, who was in Pony Club with me.

What a tragedy.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FatDinah View Post
    Not sure if this sounds like a Law and Order episode or a Dick Francis novel.

They were passionate fox hunters, and Mr. Colley has served as the commander in chief of hunts — formally, the master of the foxhounds — during hunts on the family estate in the past.

Wow, this post is a bit calloused. The article also doesn't mention the philanthropy with which the family was involved. A sad tragedy for friends, family and the hunt community.

Not for fodder.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

I saw this mentioned in the newspaper today, but no mention was made of the couple's fox hunting background. How sad when people are not safe even in broad daylight in their own home.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywell Bay View Post
    The article also doesn't mention the philanthropy with which the family was involved. A sad tragedy for friends, family and the hunt community.
    The later articles in the NYT do repeatedly highlight Mrs. Colley's philanthropy and kindness.

4 members found this post helpful.

The New York Times ran an update article today, stating that there has been no movement on this case at all. No leads, no suspects, no found weapon, and the missing fire extinguisher has not been located.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/08/ny...eeks.html?_r=0

And the plot thickens...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/07/ny...=top-news&_r=0

Workers were found to be stealing hay and selling it on the "black market."
    A helmet saved my life.

2016 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Really weird.

whenever someone posts on this, the main forum page says 'prominent NJ foxhunter murdered' by ladylexie or the most recent poster. I suppose I am now the prime suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    I am surprised at the offhand comparison of this woman's death to a work of fiction. She was a person that was apparently murdered.

Because you learn of a crime online shouldn't make it a gleeful, tabloid headline for you, to compare with horsey crime novels, at the expense of the feelings of her friends and relatives.

I am disgusted at the flippancy of your posts here in regard to a person's violent death.Perhaps some people post without thinking their comments through? You do not realize that some of her people may be reading your words?
    Hot Blood was a true crime book not fiction. It was about the murder of a wealthy woman and it involved horses. I am betting the post was just to point out the parallels of the situation, at least at first glance.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

9 members found this post helpful.

OP, you can fix the title by going into the advanced settings when you edit.

What a terrible thing! My sympathies to the family and to their Golden's Bridge Hounds family. And my guess for a hay "theft" of that magnitude it was, perhaps, not the actual removal of that much hay but having that much hay delivered elsewhere and falsely billed to the victim's account.

I was commenting on the Dick Francis novel comment (which was deleted). Not reveling in her death in any way, and I feel terrible for her family. But when someone mentions a very wealthy horsewoman being murdered, I pretty much immediately think of the Brach heiress and the book that was written about the whole thing. I'm sorry if it came off as callous, that was not intended.