The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 54 of 54
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Dec. 15, 2011
    Location
    over the rainbow
    Posts
    772

    Default

    not for the first time... i am so glad i ride dressage and dont jump



  2. #42
    Join Date
    Oct. 29, 2007
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,869

    Default

    I literally shivered. Reminds me of that horrible awful driving accident video that made the rounds a while ago.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

    Phoenix Animal Rescue



  3. #43
    Join Date
    Aug. 8, 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,230

    Default

    Wow, thats insane. They were very lucky to walk away from that.



  4. #44
    Join Date
    Sep. 30, 2007
    Posts
    2,719

    Default

    The rider looks very relaxed- probably helped him. It is a scary photo, but I could see them walking away from that. Things like that happen so fast that it's over in a flash. I do hope that my horse and I don't ever pull a stunt like that though!



  5. #45

    Default

    I watched a pretty horrific fall happen in front of me at Rolex: Kristi Nunnink and R Star. R Star got a front foot caught on the jump and rotated forward and to the left. I am not sure if it was technically a rotational fall because the horse landed on her side. The horse got up and walked away but I believe Kristi was injured (she has since recovered). It was a very scary thing to watch, and it happened fast but kind of in slow motion. I wished I could reach out and just grab the horse mid-air and stop them from hitting the ground

    I have photos that I got of the fall but I'm not sure if it would be ok to post them.



  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2001
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    4,371

    Default

    My thought was, that horse has no sense of self preservation.



  7. #47
    Join Date
    Sep. 30, 2007
    Posts
    2,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shea'smom View Post
    My thought was, that horse has no sense of self preservation.
    What would be different if it did?



  8. #48
    Join Date
    Oct. 10, 2007
    Location
    down south
    Posts
    5,060

    Default

    Wow. This is why I just can't do it anymore. I'm down to bringing my greenie along in dressage and maybe we will cross train no more than 2 ft in the arena. I'm just to much of a chicken anymore.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole



  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jan. 23, 2007
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starhouse View Post
    I watched a pretty horrific fall happen in front of me at Rolex: Kristi Nunnink and R Star. R Star got a front foot caught on the jump and rotated forward and to the left. I am not sure if it was technically a rotational fall because the horse landed on her side. The horse got up and walked away but I believe Kristi was injured (she has since recovered). It was a very scary thing to watch, and it happened fast but kind of in slow motion. I wished I could reach out and just grab the horse mid-air and stop them from hitting the ground

    I have photos that I got of the fall but I'm not sure if it would be ok to post them.
    Showing the photos would make the discussion much more easier. There are no restrictions to post the photos.



  10. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jumpfan View Post
    Showing the photos would make the discussion much more easier. There are no restrictions to post the photos.
    Ok, here is the whole sequence:

    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...C_153small.jpg
    Approach, looking confident

    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...C_160small.jpg
    Front left leg stuck on the jump, horse starting to rotate to the left

    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...C_161small.jpg
    Twisting to the left

    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...C_163small.jpg
    Landing on left side

    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...C_166small.jpg
    horse gets up immediately

    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...C_168small.jpg
    vet out immediately to catch horse, who stood there politely waiting for someone to get her

    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...C_169small.jpg
    tent up while EMT's work on rider. she was driven off the course about 15 minutes later.



  11. #51
    Join Date
    Jun. 28, 2009
    Location
    Summerville SC
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Starhorse, wow to that sequence!



  12. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AzuWish View Post
    Starhorse, wow to that sequence!
    I was in the right place at the right time, with the right equipment. It seemed to happen so fast and yet take so long at the same time. I am just glad everyone was ok in the end.



  13. #53
    Join Date
    Oct. 4, 2010
    Location
    Middle America
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starhouse View Post
    Ok, here is the whole sequence:

    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...C_153small.jpg
    Approach, looking confident

    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...C_160small.jpg
    Front left leg stuck on the jump, horse starting to rotate to the left

    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...C_161small.jpg
    Twisting to the left

    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...C_163small.jpg
    Landing on left side

    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...C_166small.jpg
    horse gets up immediately

    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...C_168small.jpg
    vet out immediately to catch horse, who stood there politely waiting for someone to get her

    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...C_169small.jpg
    tent up while EMT's work on rider. she was driven off the course about 15 minutes later.

    Wow. His right hind boot had come undone, and was slipped down to his fetlock. Anyone else notice that?

    Great photos!
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.



  14. #54
    Join Date
    Feb. 24, 2012
    Posts
    71

    Default

    The way she lands on her side and is laying after the horse gets up makes me wonder if she dislocated her shoulder and/or broke some ribs. I've had several shoulder dislocations from jumping falls (finally had surgery to correct the luxating joint, none since!) as well as some rib fractures and both can hurt like hell. I got stuck on the ground after one of my shoulder injuries because I landed with my good arm pinned beneath me and I couldn't push off the ground with my arm out of it's socket. I felt like an idiot and was SO GLAD there were other people jumping with me that day to call the firemen to come pick me up and put me in the ambulance.

    Regardless, hope she recovered fully.

    Never had a rotational fall, and very thankful for that.



Similar Threads

  1. Maybe what we do is NOT that scary....!
    By Kairoshorses in forum Eventing
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Apr. 2, 2011, 02:49 PM
  2. Sad, and scary...
    By mishmash in forum Off Course
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: Oct. 19, 2009, 11:23 PM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: May. 10, 2009, 09:31 AM
  4. Scary, Scary Question: Hoof Critique?
    By [r.oo and l.ulu] in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 205
    Last Post: Jul. 25, 2006, 07:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness