The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde. Take your pick.

Some times the world is right and good and full of rays of sunshine. And sometimes the world says piss off go chase your ray somewhere else. And sometimes the world does this Dr. Jekyll, Mr. Hyde crap that leaves you on your ass scratching your head.

I think today was the later.

It started out somewhat bright and cheery. a few clouds here and there as Shane and I drove up to mom's house to visit and ride the ponies. We hung out a bit inside with mom, chit chatting and whatnot, TV you know all that jazz. After a couple hours or so Shane and I went out to ride the ponies. It had been awhile since Ive ridden them. I rode Spring like 2 weeks ago when someone came out to try him, and with Red its been even longer.

I got on Red and Shane was on Spring when we started out. Red started to be a little PITA so we had a quick chat and she settled down and went "Yes Ma'am." I mean it wasn't much of a chat, just made her move a little bit. Figured all was good. She was acting good anyway. So out we went Red was behaving but Spring was trying to see what he could get away with with Shane. nothing much just seeing if Shane will tell him or ask him to do stuff. It took a couple moments but Spring finally went "OK, I'll be good." So ok, we both had our chats with our mounts, the day was looking good.

We went down the road for a short bit, but decided against going further because we didn't want the dogs to go swimming in the pond, so we changed directions and went the other way. The ride continued to go well, both horses were happy to be out, things were going great. We went up the ditch into the land next to my mom's property. Dogs happily walking next to or behind us. Up the old driveway on the property, clip, clop. We both trotted down it in sections. The horses were feeling good, we were feeling good, the dogs were feeling good. In short everyone was feeling good. We got to the end where the apple trees are at, and we quickly grabbed some for the ponies enjoyment when the ride was done. At that point we started heading back. Normally I ride that property in one big circle, I decided to cut the circle and take a shortcut back to the driveway. Red went OOOO and AHHH as I have never cut that way before. Nothing major, her interest was simply peaked. It was something new. Exciting. No. New. Yes.

So we get back on the road and all of a sudden I just heard Poco pitching a pony fit. I go of into lala land thinking about that and going "Man Poco sure is mad." And of course Red stares off in the direction Poco was in. Me off in lala land did not notice her attention zeroed off of what we were doing. And OF COURSE that's when everything happens. I'm distracted in lala land. Red is staring off wondering if Poco is getting eating by pony eating children. And then the dog steps out of the bush and breaks a stick.

Of course the stick breaking snapped Red's attention back to the here and now (well the then and there) and she tucks her butt and scoots forward. I start to tell her to chill out, but being caught by surprise I did the thing I'm really working on fixing. I leaned forward. Just as red was coming back to the "oh well i feel stupid" The other dog appears suddenly from behind another bush in the distance, and she does a quick step to the left and I simply topple over her shoulder and neck as we still had some forward motion going on. So she took a couple steps to the left and i still kept going forward. I fall down to my doom Red goes "OMG IM ALONE1!!!!11!!" and takes off. Spring went "OMG SOMETHINGS WRONG" but chilled out when Shane told him to. Meanwhile I was on the ground, having landed not very gently, in the process of being stuck in a hyperventilation loop, convinced I could not breath and for some odd reason trying to roll onto my back in a forwards manner by pulling on grass. With metal bands across my chest preventing me from breathing I finally made my hand let go of that damn grass, got onto my back and mentally went. "In. Out. Relax the muscle. In. Out" and suddenly I could breath. Fancy that. Shane meanwhile is headed towards me when suddenly we hear the sound of hooves. Coming at us. Red came running back, circled around Shane and came to inspect me. Upon seeing that I lived she promptly took the chance to take a couple bites to eat before Shane takes hold of her.

I get up dust myself off and told Shane "Give me Red I'm getting back on." With a bit of effort I manage to get back in the saddle and we resume the ride home. Red tried to go "There's a boogy man" but I told her to quit it and she settled down. I frankly didn't feel like dealing with the after effects where they try to spook at invisible stuff. I told her to quit and she did We got back home and I commenced to doing what I should have done when I first got on her. I made her work and listen to me. We walked, trotted. stopped backed up. Halt to trot. Trot to halt. Left, right, this way, that way. Over the poles, around the poles. Turn on the haunches. Work, work, work. In the end she was doing beautifully.

But I admit I am 100% embarrassed by my fall. One tiny mistake in leaning forward and I go tumbling on down. Lesson Lady is going to love this.
    Did you know, today is yesterdays tomorrow and what you would leave for tomorrow you should do today?
    I am pro-Slaughter

Oh my gosh! Scary experience! Especially that you couldn't breathe for a moment!

I hope you're not too sore in the morning.

I huuuuuurt. XD I love me some hot showers!
    Did you know, today is yesterdays tomorrow and what you would leave for tomorrow you should do today?
    I am pro-Slaughter

Well you ARE the only one here who has ever come off their horse in a slightly embarassing way...

Kudos to Red for coming back to see if he killed ya though
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Lawd, I thought you were starting a thread about my ex husband.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

mac: Yep! But I am proud to say I have taken an even more embarrassing fall before off Poco one time. I was bareback and she shied from a pole rolling off a barrel from the wind, and all you see if me flapping my arms like thats going to keep me from sliding right off her fat little back.
    I am pro-Slaughter