The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best mattress for bad lower back?

Anyone have a sleep number bed, or one of those posturepedic mattresses?

Do *any* of these things live up to the hype, and actually result in more comfortable, restful sleep and less back pain/stiffness?

We need to get a new bed at some point soon, so I would love to hear some first-hand experiences from people who have tried these.

TIA
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Dr. D, everyone's mileage is going to vary with what they think is comfortable.

Having said that, have had a Tempurpedic 'Cloud' for about a month and so far, sleeping well on it. It wasn't cheap but a decent warranty against sag as well.

I have the sleep number bed, and have been quite happy with it. I had problems sleeping, and with back pain, and both have definitely improved since getting the bed. Good luck with whatever you end up getting!

I can't remember which ones have which beds, but I know I have stayed at a few hotels with sleep number beds and a few with tempurpedic mattresses. Might be worth staying a night or two before finding that you've wasted money on a bed that doesn't help (and the tempurpedic actually makes my lower back feel stiff in the morning).

FWIW, I have a bad back and neither of those mattresses help at all.
    A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

Hubby andd I just bought the Tempurpedic (sp?) Classic. I really like it, it's only been a week, will keep ya posted.

My sister has severe and chronic lower back pain. She had the sleep number for years, but just bought a Tempurpedic. She said it is much better -- just loves it. She got one of the mid-priced models. Hope this helps.

For lower back pain (the type where it feels as if someone is clinching your lower back in a big fist) I found a great tip in Prevention magazine-sleep on your left side (or at least do the last 30 minutes or so) with your knees bent, as if you were sitting in a chair. And if you ride a bicycle (or in my case then an exercise bicycle) then don't have your legs perfectly straight at the bottom of the push stroke, but have the seat an inch or two lower so your leg doesn't straighten out suddenly-it seemed to make my back much worse. And if you have a sudden cramp in the lower back then lie down on carpet or padding, put your legs up on a coffee table or such (so you can roll left or right to get up-sofe or something with arms is a bad idea) in the same position as if you were sitting in a chair with your back totally flat-you can use a small pillow and just chill out and watch tv or something, and stay there for 20 or 30 minutes. If that doesn't help then you might have really hurt yourself. Don't wait two weeks to see a doctor about severe back pain either-found that out.

I get a conventional mattress (King Koil firm, not extra firm) and that seems to work for me.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Chronic back problems since 13 (40 years). I use a sleep number and feather pillows. One of the best buys I've ever made in relation to all my spinal issues.

I've been told the tempurpedics absorb too much body heat and are too warm for some. I can't even handle a water bed because of temperature regulation issues. Just some food for thought.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

They have the unconventional beds for sale locally in stores if you look around at the mall and want to check them out. Brookstone, for example, has them.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I have back issues, and they greatly improved when we got our sleep number bed!! I now no longer constantly wake up tossing and turning to get comfortable, with pain in my lower back that goes around my hip .

Because of it's adustability in firmness, it was also very helpful when I broke my elbow and was stuck sleeping on my back for awhile (I am normally a side sleeper). I could adjust it to a different firmness that was more comfortable for sleeping in that position, and then adjusted back when I could get back on my side again.

I have slept on a tempurpedic before (albeit only for a few nights while visiting family), and I personally was not comfortable. I felt it was too warm (and I tend to be cold!) and not forgiving enough for my back. But, that's JMO.

ETA I got ours on a special of the day from QVC, with an Easy Pay option. So, it was really nice to have it delivered right away and I could take several months to pay for it.

The Tempurpedic Cloud is not supposed to have the same "heat" issues that older Tempurpedics have. The Cloud is supposed to be 'open cell' design (as I recall) while the older Tempurpedics are closed cell and sleep warmer.

Haven't had heat be the problem yet and had mine about a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Where'sMyWhite View Post
    The Tempurpedic Cloud is not supposed to have the same "heat" issues that older Tempurpedics have. The Cloud is supposed to be 'open cell' design (as I recall) while the older Tempurpedics are closed cell and sleep warmer.

Haven't had heat be the problem yet and had mine about a month.
    We've had a Tempurpedic Rhapsody for about a month now, and it DOES sleep "hotter" than a traditional boxspring. If this is supposed to be an improvement over the old beds, the old beds must have been pretty miserable! Besides the heat factor, we absolutely love the Tempurpedic! No more tossing and turning.

If you buy directly from Tempurpedic, they offer a 90 "trial period" for their mattresses. I know that Tempurpedics are not for everyone, but this way you've got 3 months to decide if you like it or not.
    *Absolut Equestrian*

"The plural of anecdote is not fact...except in the horse industry"

Hubby and I went with the less expensive IKEA version of the Tempurpedic concept about a year ago, and have been very pleased. If memory serves it was a hair under $600 and the had the 90 day no questions asked return policy on it. Firm support while floaty at the same time, and it doesn't seem as 'hot' to me as Tempurpedics I've tried in the past.

Be really careful in buying a mattress. I waffled between the Temperpedic and a traditional mattress. I ended up buying a traditional matress with a lots of quilting on top. Its supposed to have these bars across the interior that adds support and prevents backache. Its either Simmons, or Sealy, or Beautyrest, one of those familian names. Anyway, within several weeks we noticed craters where our hips lay. Soon it was a valley with hill between us. Eventually I got on line and read the Amazon and Overstocks reviews of my $2000 mattress. Everyone had this problem. Some folks complained and had the company adjustor come out who said the craters were within "normal limits". The warrenty says 1 1/2 inch is normal, but its like a deep hole and really increased the back pain. I bought foam and used double sided tape to put the foam in the craters. It looks lumpy but is actually comfortable.

My son had bought a new mattress also, a traditional one, without any quilting on top. I stripped his bed and could see no craters. I am so bummed, I have just thrown my $$ away.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

I suffer from severe back pain.

Bought a Tempurpedic a few months ago. Now I can actually walk when I get up in the morning. No shuffling, little pain, and I can stand up straight. Plus, I sleep through the night now.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

The Original Mattress Factory makes some really fantastic mattresses at good prices... they have an orthopedic model. What I like the most about them is that their products are very high quality and there are a ton of options you can choose from for firmness/support, pillow top, size, etc.
    "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
    but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

I have a Sleep Number Bed, I love it! Before I got the Sleep Number bed, I had a new mattress, pillow top, all the fancy crap, and I couldn't straighten up in the morning because my lower back hurt so bad. I went to the sleep number store and tried the mattress...OMG it gave me support where I had never had support before. I was totally sold on it. I have had it for 4 years now and it is awesome!

I use a lumbar support roll pillow on a regular bed. It was a 40$ investment and I just love it. It is a long skinny foam pillow that is supposed to be tied around your waist and sits between my rib cage and hips, but I just lay it on the bed as I move a lot. As I am a side or back sleeper it keeps my spine aligned and no stiffness or aches in the AM.

Here is the link, move down to the McKensie Night Roll. Try it and save thousands!!!!

http://www.spinalpublications.co.nz/...l-support.html
    Last edited by skykingismybaby1; Jul. 2, 2011 at 08:06 PM.

The best thing I ever did was get a Sleep Number bed with the adjustable head and foot option. It was worth every penny and I can not imagine not having one. I will never, if I can help it, have any other kind of bed.

Wow, that's what I get for being gone all day!

Thanks to everyone for the most helpful responses...
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")