The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Change of plans........stallion help?

So my new mare is apparently violently opposed to frozen semen. 48 hours after insemination she is still building fluid, inflammatory response..........................yuck. They are lavaging and doing the Oxytocing protocol, however they are also now reccomending that I find a fresh semen stallion to ship for the next cycle. Blah. I had no backup plan. Need ideas (and after I get my bill for her I may need a loan!).

So! Mare is Picaro/Don Carlos/Lombard.
    17hands and absolutely beautiful.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._3227760_n.jpg
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Default Change of plans........stallion help?

So my new mare is apparently violently opposed to frozen semen. 48 hours after insemination she is still building fluid, inflammatory response..........................yuck. They are lavaging and doing the Oxytocing protocol, however they are also now reccomending that I find a fresh semen stallion to ship for the next cycle. Blah. I had no backup plan. Need ideas (and after I get my bill for her I may need a loan!).

So! Mare is Picaro/Don Carlos/Lombard.
    17hands and absolutely beautiful.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._3227760_n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1025336_n.jpg

Sooooo, stallion thoughts?
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Beautiful mare.
    What stallions has she been bred to?

Went through this with a client last year and switched to Cabalito and boom preggers the first try. probably isn't a bad idea.
    Lisa Coletto
    Standing Elite Hanoverian stallion, Cabalito
    www.pecannuts@aol.com

What are you breeding for and where do you want improvement?
    www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
    Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!

I looked her up in Horse Telex, and she has a great motherline...same as Rosenthal and Soliman de Hus. Based on that, I would look at R and S lines. It might be neat to breed her to Rosenthal to cross her back on her mareline (but I like a good line breeding, YMMV). Or another proven R line, Romancero H. You get Rohdiamant plus the refinement of Matcho (and Inshallah).

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

That sucks! I don't have any suggestions but I did have a mare that had that type of response every time she was bred with frozen semen (previous owner didn't manage her post breeding so she never caught for her). I believe you have a window of about five days ( I think?) until the zygote travels down. It took our mare about four days of treatment for the horrible inflammation to tone down enough, but she got in foal both times. So don't give up (though it is disheartening)!

So sorry Holly! Farscape had outstanding fresh semen, FWIW. I would probabaly look for something modern and smaller for her.

I have NO idea, but she is so pretty; I think you should just clone her. But that's not allowed, is it?

Holly, I am assuming you want a hunter or jumper stallion for that mare - correct? Do you have a registry preference?

There are lots of H/J types approved/activated with OHBS/GOV - Apiro, Banderas, Baron von Gogh, Cabardino, Escudo II, Contiano (winner of the 2010 70 day stallion test), Coromino, Escudo II, Ironman, Landkoenig, Figaro B, Fuerst Impression, Navarone, Novalis, Pablito, Pablo, Paparazzo, Pilox, Presidio, Prezioso S, Valentino Z, Viva Voltaire, Willemoes.

And a few jumper bred stallions that have had successful dressage careers - Lagoheidor, Landtinus, Luberon.

Some of the ones I mentioned are pretty good sized though - not sure if you are wanting to downsize the mare.

I agree with Tracy, she has older Hano bloodlines and I'd go with something smaller and modern in type.

Maybe Escudo II?
    Last edited by Oakstable; Jun. 7, 2011 at 09:42 AM.

Take a look at Coromino -- loved the one I got and my client bred to him also and also got super nice. He is modern, they are pretty, super friendly and trainable, lovely gaits and he is very consistent it appears in how he produces. He is definitely under the radar, but certainly would work well with your mare.

Good luck!
    PennyG

My vet was concerned at her age FS might be an issue and from what I remember she's just been bred fresh. I can't recommend as I wanted to breed for her substance and everything I found was frozen

Quote Originally Posted by Rubs Not Pats View Post
    Went through this with a client last year and switched to Cabalito and boom preggers the first try. probably isn't a bad idea.
    Thank you, that's what we're thinking. Like Cabalito too.

Quote Originally Posted by wehrlegirl View Post
    What are you breeding for and where do you want improvement?
    I think that with the pedigree she has the potential to have really nice dressage OR hunter foals. I don't see much to improve upon, but I wouldn't want her any more old fashioned than what she is (she really isn't but is on that line) and I wouldn't want any more height.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    I looked her up in Horse Telex, and she has a great motherline...same as Rosenthal and Soliman de Hus. Based on that, I would look at R and S lines. It might be neat to breed her to Rosenthal to cross her back on her mareline (but I like a good line breeding, YMMV). Or another proven R line, Romancero H. You get Rohdiamant plus the refinement of Matcho (and Inshallah).

I truly love this mother line and think that it needs to be preserved with a good GOOD stallion. I was thinking Soprano..............

Caitlin
    Quote Originally Posted by Donella View Post
    That sucks! I don't have any suggestions but I did have a mare that had that type of response every time she was bred with frozen semen (previous owner didn't manage her post breeding so she never caught for her). I believe you have a window of about five days ( I think?) until the zygote travels down. It took our mare about four days of treatment for the horrible inflammation to tone down enough, but she got in foal both times. So don't give up (though it is disheartening)!
    Thanks! That gives me hope!

Quote Originally Posted by sixpoundfarm View Post
    So sorry Holly! Farscape had outstanding fresh semen, FWIW. I would probabaly look for something modern and smaller for her.
    LIKE....................

Quote Originally Posted by 00pisces View Post
    I have NO idea, but she is so pretty; I think you should just clone her. But that's not allowed, is it?
    I would take another just like her in a heartbeat!

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    Holly, I am assuming you want a hunter or jumper stallion for that mare - correct? Do you have a registry preference?

There are lots of H/J types approved/activated with OHBS/GOV - Apiro, Banderas, Baron von Gogh, Cabardino, Escudo II, Contiano (winner of the 2010 70 day stallion test), Coromino, Escudo II, Ironman, Landkoenig, Figaro B, Fuerst Impression, Navarone, Novalis, Pablito, Pablo, Paparazzo, Pilox, Presidio, Prezioso S, Valentino Z, Viva Voltaire, Willemoes.

And a few jumper bred stallions that have had successful dressage careers - Lagoheidor, Landtinus, Luberon.

Some of the ones I mentioned are pretty good sized though - not sure if you are wanting to downsize the mare.
    LUV LUV LUV the Lagoheider. If Landwerder was still alive I would use him. Will probably go GOV, but there is no Kentucky inspection scheduled for this year, so I don't quite know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakstable View Post
    Beautiful mare.
    What stallions has she been bred to?
    Sally they had previously bred her to Black Tie, Rienzi and Weltbekkant. The two I have seen are just fabulous and everything that could be hoped for in a breeding. Both fillies are being retained by the former owner for their quality.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by RobinL View Post
    My vet was concerned at her age FS might be an issue and from what I remember she's just been bred fresh. I can't recommend as I wanted to breed for her substance and everything I found was frozen
    Robin, were you her original owner? Can you send me a PM with some more info?
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Hi,

I foaled out Poesy's first colt by Weltbekant...and started her under saddle
    That colt was really, really nice...tall though. Pretty sure he went on to upper levels of Dressage.
    Her 1/2 sister (Lost a sock by Letkiss out of Diephloz) crossed really well with Widmark...you might consider him.
    Good luck! She is a super mare!

Furst Impression

or

why not Black Tie again?
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Holly, breed her to Furst Impression and I'll buy the foal!

We LOVE our Furst Impression colt - was just 4th at Devon (yearling). Can't wait to repeat; he was down at WEF over the winter and wasn't available when we bred the mare. He is way underused and extremely nice!
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Holly, she really is a super mare I agree maybe a smaller lighter stallion would be a good choice. Dacaprio, Benidetto, Rubignon, Escudo II......all super stallions. I haven't seen any Furst Impressions, but really liked him at his stallion testing!! It is tough with a stallion that is still competing, collection schedule can be difficult, so I would check that BEFORE you finalize your decision Been there, done that.