The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best (human) Bug Repellent?

Summer has finally come to the northeast, and it's brought LOTS OF BUGS.

I had no fewer than three bugs fly into my eyes while at the barn last night, and am COVERED in bites. I itch. It's not fun.

Short of using my pony's fly spray on myself, what's the best human-skin-friendly bug repellent to use while at the barn?
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

I use either Offwoods with DEET or Bull Frog with DEET! Deet is the crucial part. My friends father did a lot of the research on Deet and says that it really works. He says you do NOT need to add more than they suggest. It wont help any more if you add more than they recommend.

However, I say this and nothing works for me. My friends always joke that im the "tenderloin" and theyre the "ribs" (as in the tenderloin=delicious part of the deer and ribs=not as tasty....I have no clue how we started that...)
    I literally act as a bug repellant for my friends. Bugs FLOCK to me. I have 20ish bites on my legs at all times...which stinks because I scratch them til I have bruises. So now I look like my boyfriend beats me!

Don't know about the barn (we don't have too many black flies or mosquitoes there, thankfully), but in the bush, I prefer Deep-Woods Off. It works as well as Muskol but is much less stinky.

Go to the camping/fishing section of Wal-Mart. Get the dark green can of REPEL. It's 40% DEET and works! I also get the wipes for the horse's ears and face before a trail ride.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Default BEN'S

Ben's in the little orange bottle. It even worked in Alaska!