The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking first time xc schooling out in 2.5 years.... UPDATE! pics post #11

It'll be my first time going out to XC school in 2.5 years next Saturday. It'll be my boys first time out to XC school ever, I believe. We jump XC fences at home, and he actually is better over those than SJ fences... but he is looky at water when hacking out....

We are beginning the serious prep for our first event ever in July.
    We are going in a group, with our trainer.

Any tips? Mostly, I want to expose him to the elements we dont have at home- ditches, banks, water, etc... and have fun!!
    Last edited by Emmas Hot Brass; May. 29, 2011 at 03:24 PM.
    proud momma of an evil grey QH/Arab who can jump the moon... and he stole my heart

Default tips...

1. Breathe
    2. Give pony time to think about what he's being asked.
    3. Have a sense of humor when things aren't perfect
    4. Have fun! XC schooling is the best.
    Proud former owner of a Wee Dee Trrr
    Proud half-owner of a Picasso Pony

Don't have a set agenda - have the attitude that you've got all the time in the world and it's a fun day out with some jumps. If you are relaxed about it, he will be too.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmas Hot Brass View Post
    We are going in a group, with our trainer.

Any tips? Mostly, I want to expose him to the elements we dont have at home- ditches, banks, water, etc... and have fun!!
    Tip: Listen to your trainer, who will actually be there with you in person, rather than seeking advice from random strangers online.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Tip: Listen to your trainer, who will actually be there with you in person, rather than seeking advice from random strangers online.
    Wow, snarky much?

Tips: On top of what everyone else says, hopefully you'll have an experienced horse/rider team with you. Its perfectly ok to let him follow a buddy over scary stuff, it will build both your confidences! Enjoy!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Um - totally uncalled for!

OP- Like the others said - be patient with your horse. Give him opportunity to look/hack around the banks, water, ditches first. Give him an honest first chance approach!

Relax, have fun, and report back to us!

I just did my first xc school in 10 years last weekend (my first event in 10yrs next weekend). After the first 4-5 jumps I finally relaxed and had a blast!

tips:
    - ignore sandman- who apparently is unaware that this is Friday, and is instead having a "case of the Mondays"!
    - don't have super stringent expectations of yourself or Corelli- just go and experiment, and start over some confidence building fences so your confidence will make him feel confident too!
    - follow friends into water and over the "scary" stuff
    - don't be too proud to ask for help- or to ask your trainer to hop on for a minute- sometimes it can quickly fix things that could become a much bigger problem if you are unsure/uncomfortable!
    - take a photographer with you so you can be proud later and critique things you need to work on!
    - have fun!
    Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
    Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

HAVE FUN!!!

When things don't go right, just breath and remeber he is there to learn too.

Don't have an agenda, I like to make small goals and if need be I will modify them

Try to end on a postive note and tell him what a good boy he is for postive forward moments!!!

Stay flexible and what he may need, BREATH, SMILE, LAUGH!!!!!!

OH yeah never be to proud to ask or get a lead in or over something!
    Let us know how it went
    No Worries!

Agree with all of the above- brathe, have fun, stay relaxed, have realistic expectations (which it sounds like you already do!) also, I agree if there is ahorse you can 'buddy up' with that can be helpful..I know my guy is often asked to help 'babysit' some of the greenies! (though he is still a bit bitter about one schooling session last summer where he had to lead one pony off the baby bank a dizzying number of times...luckily hes mostly a good sport about it! Enjoy yourself (and yes, someone to take video/photo's can be nice...just don't worry about the photo/video not being perfect...I know sometimes Im more nervous when I know it will be documented!!

Thank you everybody for the tips... i think "breathe" is number 1 on my list

laugh is a good one too. I finally learned how to do that (at myself even!).

and Sandman, the first half of your response is very good advice. some wisdom I follow daily, and wasn't planning on changing anytime soon.
    The second half? hehehe. you're on a forum?
    proud momma of an evil grey QH/Arab who can jump the moon... and he stole my heart

Default PICTURES! :)

okay! pictures!

log stack/coop

figuring out water

ditch

up bank

down bank

over log (2 strides to water)

into water after log

through the water

more splashing

after

he was awesome!!

of course he looked at some stuff, but i only had one true stop (in the very beginning, i took my leg off before the fence. bad mom! ), and then balking at the water (totally expected). but he got through (with the help of our best friends Alex and Reggie) and the last time we did the novice question (over jump, canter into water) he didn't look, suck back, nothing.

he was taking the little ditch we tried like a champ, and he figured out up and down banks just fine.

I am SO proud, and his bravery and gung-ho attitude and ability to adjust so easily is makin me think he's gonna be a great event horse. I could honestly tell he was havin fun and loving it.

Great pics and good job!!!!

One quick note......

RUBBER REINS

If you're gonna canter through the water jumps, you need reins you can collect back and keep a grip on.

There are lots of great deals online. Grab a pair!!

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Quote Originally Posted by Xctrygirl View Post
    Great pics and good job!!!!

One quick note......

RUBBER REINS

If you're gonna canter through the water jumps, you need reins you can collect back and keep a grip on.

There are lots of great deals online. Grab a pair!!

~Emily
    hehehe i know! i'm getting some before we go schooling in June!

Default wow!

GREAT pictures and the smile on your face is awesome! yay!
    Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
    Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

Quote Originally Posted by skip916 View Post
    GREAT pictures and the smile on your face is awesome! yay!
    What Skip said!
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

You guys look fantastic!!!!! Whoo hoooo!!!!!

Great pictures!! Where/when are you going in June?

Yep Sandman she's got a lot of problems! Damn she needs a trainer every inch of the way.

Nice horse/ nice ride!! Very athletic and great bascule. He'll get that landing equipment raised when the fences get higher. Nice big huge bold striding into the water. the horse has a great attitude. He likes it - it's fun. You too, look at the smiles. I see a great partnership.

Oh my goodness, your first water pic had me in stiches. I love the greenie legs thing he's got going on there.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

haha thanks ya'll!

Holly, we're going to Chatt Hills. Our first event will be the July 16-17 there.

babecakes... hehehe he's a good boy!! I was so proud of how comfortable he was with the water by the end.

Long Spot, I was in stiches while riding it. he didn't know what to do with the water splashing his belly and would take these HUGE trot steps through it, much bigger than necessary. i just leaned back and let him take his time

Congrats! My first event was at Chatt Hills too! Such a GREAT venue. You guys look GREAT!