The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Learning to braid

Anyone have a link to a good instructional video, or happen to have pictures/a guide to learning how to braid? I'm thinking this would be a good summer project to undertake!
    "Life ain't always beautiful but it's a beautiful ride."
    Proud Member of the "OMFG I've been Banned" clique.

Short enough to ride ponies but old enough to be in law school. What a life.

Here is one that I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86pdDvaN9KE

I was also thinking of trying to learn how to braid as a summer project! This video was pretty easy to understand, but I'm not sure if everything is entirely correct. Maybe someone else can tell us what's right and wrong in this video (obviously the mane is on the wrong side, which the girl acknowledges).

Probably you want more hunter type braids than buttons, but this is a great article with good written tips and an instructional video: http://eventingnation.com/home/2010/...-groom-13.html
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

Braid the top part UP toward the horse's beck to get it really tight and the second part down to get it to lie flat... and on the other side of the neck of course.
    friend of bar.ka

Ruthann sells an amazing instructional video!

http://www.luckybraids.com/

Thanks, everyone!! I appreciate it .
    "Life ain't always beautiful but it's a beautiful ride."
    Proud Member of the "OMFG I've been Banned" clique.

Short enough to ride ponies but old enough to be in law school. What a life.

http://www.youtube.com/user/johntheb...63/EISbGj-fiVk

John has many videos but the "free braiding lesson 1" and "free braiding lesson 2" are the best and they are free.

Ruthann (Luckybraids.com) has the best paid demo/video.
    Last edited by sarcam02; May. 19, 2011 at 09:25 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by wildhorse188 View Post
    Here is one that I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86pdDvaN9KE

I was also thinking of trying to learn how to braid as a summer project! This video was pretty easy to understand, but I'm not sure if everything is entirely correct. Maybe someone else can tell us what's right and wrong in this video (obviously the mane is on the wrong side, which the girl acknowledges).
    Wildhorse in answer to your question "what is right and wrong with this video"

Personally, I would not use this one as my guide (especially if you are just learning) for the following reasons:

1) Braiding on the wrong side of the mane is a non starter for me

2) I would not use the "braiding comb. The horses mane width changes from thin at the base and top to thick in the middle so if you are much better off using a regular comb to section off the hair and going by feel - Take about the same amount of hair all the way down. The braids "section" you take in the cresty part of the mane will be thinner than a section of hair that you take from the top or base of the mane. Consistent sizing and length is key.

3) Her double tie off method at the botton of the braid down is VERY slow and very thick. You want to get a bit of a rythym - which comes in time with practice. When pulling up - I "pop" the base of the braid part way into the top of the braid - this "folds" the extra hair back against itself and makes it more neat when doing the final bump and tie off.

Best to watch the John the braider videos I refer to in my other post and what I am trying to explain will be more clear.

Good luck with learning how to braid - knowing how to braid has saved me multiple thousands over the years.
    Last edited by sarcam02; May. 19, 2011 at 12:08 PM.

Ruthann's Lucky Braids video is well worth the expense. I broke down and purchased it after many bad braid jobs. Now I can braid nearly as pretty as the pros. Ruthann is fabulous!
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

I second sarcam02's comments, with a couple additional pointers regarding the original video:

1) I use a surgeon's knot after pulling the braid through: http://www.animatedknots.com/surgeonsjoin/index.php
    Much more secure. Basically a regular knot but you loop the end through twice instead of once.

2) Lifting the braid to tie the knot underneath will give you twisted and loose braids! You can tie the knot below the braid, then slide it up underneath. Same technique works for tying down the button.

3) And last, Quik Braid is WAY WAY WAY better than water. Water is an absolute last resort. If you don't have Quik Braid, use a non-flaking, non-aerosol hairspray. Otherwise your braids will be very prone to coming loose and falling out.

And of course, the aforementioned braiding on the correct side.

The more you practice, the more you'll get your technique and rhythm down. Keep checking your results with a pro's braids to see what you need to improve (i.e. if they're not straight, too thick, uneven, etc.)

I really like braiding for a quiet start to what is sure to be a busy day. I grew up doing my own braiding and as long as the horse will stand still for it, I see no reason to have anyone else do it.
    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal

Sweetmutt - "1) I use a surgeon's knot after pulling the braid through: http://www.animatedknots.com/surgeonsjoin/index.php
    Much more secure. Basically a regular knot but you loop the end through twice instead of once. "

YES! very good point

Sweetmutt - "3) And last, Quik Braid is WAY WAY WAY better than water. Water is an absolute last resort. If you don't have Quik Braid, use a non-flaking, non-aerosol hairspray. Otherwise your braids will be very prone to coming loose and falling out. "

FUNNY - I am pro plain ol water (lot's of it) all the way I have tried Quik Braid on many occasions and it feels too slick for my taste

Other tips - measure out your yarn by looping around from hand to elbow and have your precut yarn bits accessible (If I am only doing one I loop them through my belt loop). I like Caron Simply Soft yarn which is resiliant and STRONG (you should be pulling tight and don't want to risk breakage) and cheap. There are many good yarn options out there.

I use a comb vs a clip to hold back the other portion of the mane that you are not braiding. One less step in the process.

An even bottom line of the braid is very important
    Last edited by sarcam02; May. 19, 2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: multiquoting issues

I agree that Ruthann's Lucky Braids video/DVR is excellent, but if you don't want to spend that much money, there is Braiding Techniques, I think Dover still sells it, its very inexpensive. It is also very good and it also shows you several ways to braid tails, which Lucky Braids does not. And tails are so easy, if you're going to learn to braid you might as well learn to do tails too.

Quote Originally Posted by sarcam02 View Post
    FUNNY - I am pro plain ol water (lot's of it) all the way I have tried Quik Braid on many occasions and it feels too slick for my taste
    Mine always feel too slippery when I just use water! How funny.

Well OP, I guess pick whichever works best for your braids!
    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal