The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Nonstop itching--allergies?

My two year old ACD started itching like cuhhh-razy yesterday. She was wormed three weeks ago and had her Frontline put on when she went to get her shots. No reactions after any of that. Yesterday, the temps dropped down to the low 60s for the first time in about 2 weeks, and she has not stopped itching all day. She's been shedding somewhat for awhile, but now she's got hair following her in little grey clouds when she walks around. I gave her a flea bath today hoping that would help, and I made sure I rinsed her really well, but there's been no change.

Any spring allergies out there that might be causing this, or should I take her back to the vet? I don't want her tearing herself up, and I feel bad for her. I'm in Central PA.
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

Spring allergies ARE possible but it's best to go to the vet to get skin scrapings to rule out mites and cytology as well since skin infections can make a dog itchy as well. Some dogs are also allergic to flea bites so badly that one bite can set off a horrible allergic reaction. In addition, Frontline may need to be applied every 3 weeks for maximum coverage. There *are* better flea products out there too (Comfortis! and now Trifexis with heartworm protection included!).

In the mean time, you can give her Benadryl to help with some of the itching. Technically it's best you call your vet for a dose as I'm not your veterinarian, but generally dosing is around 1 mg per pound of body weight every 8-12 hours. A bath with COOL water can also provide relief. It IS best to call your vet though, and have your dog seen to make sure there aren't any skin issues that are under the fur.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
    Spring allergies ARE possible but it's best to go to the vet to get skin scrapings to rule out mites and cytology as well since skin infections can make a dog itchy as well. Some dogs are also allergic to flea bites so badly that one bite can set off a horrible allergic reaction. In addition, Frontline may need to be applied every 3 weeks for maximum coverage. There *are* better flea products out there too (Comfortis! and now Trifexis with heartworm protection included!).

In the mean time, you can give her Benadryl to help with some of the itching. Technically it's best you call your vet for a dose as I'm not your veterinarian, but generally dosing is around 1 mg per pound of body weight every 8-12 hours. A bath with COOL water can also provide relief. It IS best to call your vet though, and have your dog seen to make sure there aren't any skin issues that are under the fur.
    This!

Take her to a veterinary dermatologist. Where are you in Central PA? The closest to you you may be Baltimore (Catonsville) or Malvern (right near Devon).

www.acvd.org

Get it done right the first time.

Lisa

It took a year to diagnose this in our dogs and cats. It was mange from the fox residents. A vet friend suggested treating their symptoms with ivermectin and explained the dosage and it took care of a problem that had become severe in all of the kids. If you decide that this is a possiblity, be sure to discuss the dosage protocols with your vet and some breeds don't tolerate it at all, especially white footed ones. Good luck!

Last year, my corgi mix got SUPER itchy in the middle of the summer. He was on Vectra (Frontline didn't work for our dogs), and we bathed him with a flea shampoo regularly. We tried all kinds of topicals to get him some comfort, but we could NOT get him to stop itching.

We went to the vet, and she went over him with a fine toothed comb for about 30 minutes, trying to find a tick or any kind of thing on him. She found ONE flea, and said "that's it". Apparently, some dogs are extremely, extremely sensitive to fleas, and can break out in flea dermatitis before the topical treatment even has a chance to kill the little b*stards. She gave him a serious flea dip that day, and we got sent home with instructions to bathe him every day, and bomb our house. We did all of those things, and his skin cleared up within a week.

Our other dog never had fleas or itched during this time, so we know we didn't have an infestation. We never saw a flea on him except for at the vet, and never saw any in the bathwater when we bathed him before that. But since he got better so quickly, I am sold on the theory that even a tiny number of fleas will cause a big problem for sensitive dogs. Our boy was literally scratching himself bloody before we got a handle on it.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

Just got back from the vet. I waited a day longer to get her to I could talk to the vet I trust (there are three at this clinic). Vet went over her and found a tick. No fleas, no dry skin, or scabs. We did the lymes test which fortunately came back negative. Vet said Emily might have had a mild allergic reaction to the tick bite. She actually hasn't itched all morning. We got more Frontline--vet said she thought it worked just fine for my girls since there was no fleas. Vet said she'd prescribe something for the itching if it started again, but she didn't want to give her anything she didn't need since she seems fine now.

I also talked to her about increase in ticks. We just moved down to PA (Danville--about 40 min southeast of Williamsport) last September so this is our first spring down here. Vet said the ticks have just gone crazy the past three years, and advised against our daily gamelands walks. Guess we'll just stick to the neighborhood from now on.

FWIW the bugs in this area have become immune to Frontline and Advantage works better. Advantage does not help with ticks though....only fleas...for ticks you need Advantix.

Was the tick engorged? Frontline is also a tick preventative, so if you found a tick that was in any stage of engorgement, I would start questioning whether the Frontline was indeed working... it's still a little early in many areas for fleas...

That's "good" that you were able to find something to explain the itchiness.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by camohn View Post
    FWIW the bugs in this area have become immune to Frontline and Advantage works better. Advantage does not help with ticks though....only fleas...for ticks you need Advantix.
    Thanks for the info! I'll get Advantix next time. I might douse myself in it, too. I seem to attrack ticks more than the dogs do. ::gag::

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

the fleas drink Frontline down here...and ask for more!!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm