The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2008
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    5,933

    Default Nina Barbour helmet?

    At a vintage store in Jerome, AZ this week, I found an old velvet helmet... it was black (browned out from use) and has a black ribbon around the base (knob on top, no ribbon in the back). It's more of a helmet than a hunt cap--more solid and has a sturdy chin strap with snap closure. The tag inside reads Nina Barbour. I think she's an eventer, right? But I haven't heard of her helmets... anyone know anything about this line of helmets, when they were produced, etc.?

    It fits me perfectly, so I may wear it for occasional schooling shows... I know it's not exactly 100% safe to wear a vintage non-certified helmet, but I must say it also looks 100% better than my regular helmet, so I may weigh the risk every now and then. d;

    ETA: Realized, once I moved the lining around, that the manufacturer seems to be Christy Beaufort/Wycherley Saddlery... but there's still the Nina Barbour tag inside. ?
    Last edited by SarahandSam; Apr. 26, 2011 at 11:50 PM.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr. 2, 2011
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    2,532

    Default

    Really? You're going for a less safe helmet because it *looks* better? Sorry to sound judge-y, it just doesn't sound like the smartest move to me :/



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2008
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    5,933

    Default

    I know, I know, I'm very much a helmet stickler at all times--and I've thrown out helmets after as much as a little ding on the floor. That being said, I would consider it for a flat class on a horse I trust, for example. Accidents can still happen, but I'd occasionally take a risk with it--like riding without a helmet in a costume class, which I've also done a couple of times. I also wear safety peacock stirrups all the time, but switch to fillis for shows, because it's more traditional and looks better... don't want this to turn into a helmet debate, just looking for info on the helmet itself. (:



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr. 2, 2011
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    2,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    I know, I know, I'm very much a helmet stickler at all times--and I've thrown out helmets after as much as a little ding on the floor. That being said, I would consider it for a flat class on a horse I trust, for example. Accidents can still happen, but I'd occasionally take a risk with it--like riding without a helmet in a costume class, which I've also done a couple of times. I also wear safety peacock stirrups all the time, but switch to fillis for shows, because it's more traditional and looks better... don't want this to turn into a helmet debate, just looking for info on the helmet itself. (:
    I do the same with stirrups Good luck finding info on the helmet!



  5. #5
    Join Date
    May. 29, 2007
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    ETA: Realized, once I moved the lining around, that the manufacturer seems to be Christy Beaufort/Wycherley Saddlery... but there's still the Nina Barbour tag inside. ?
    Christy Beaufort is the hat manufacturer. Wycherley Saddlery was an old saddlery shop in Malpas, Cheshire, UK, family run and owned for several generations supporting the local equine community that had roots in mainly hunting. Was my "local" saddler as a child and supplied all my tack, they did make saddles and tack. Following foot and mouth outbreak of 2011 that stopped all country pursuits for a long time, then later the ban on hunting sadly destroyed their business and they shut down.

    Nina Barbour name tag - would have been sewn into the hat by Nina (well her nanny or the housekeeper), she lives locally and is funding Oli T. So no the hat is not a "Nina Barbour" design, just at one time belonged to her. She did not have a range of hats.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2008
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    5,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ceffyl View Post
    Christy Beaufort is the hat manufacturer. Wycherley Saddlery was an old saddlery shop in Malpas, Cheshire, UK, family run and owned for several generations supporting the local equine community that had roots in mainly hunting. Was my "local" saddler as a child and supplied all my tack, they did make saddles and tack. Following foot and mouth outbreak of 2011 that stopped all country pursuits for a long time, then later the ban on hunting sadly destroyed their business and they shut down.

    Nina Barbour name tag - would have been sewn into the hat by Nina (well her nanny or the housekeeper), she lives locally and is funding Oli T. So no the hat is not a "Nina Barbour" design, just at one time belonged to her. She did not have a range of hats.
    Thank you so much! Upon closer inspection, I can actually see that her name tag is hand-stitched on... so that would make sense. Neat to know that I have Nina Barbour's hat! I wonder how it ended up in a little vintage shop in an Arizona ghost town...



  7. #7
    Join Date
    May. 29, 2007
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    I wonder how it ended up in a little vintage shop in an Arizona ghost town...
    I'll ask her next time I see her.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2008
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    5,933

    Default

    Thank you!



Similar Threads

  1. Barbour Jackets??
    By EventingMaff in forum Off Course
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Oct. 11, 2012, 12:32 AM
  2. Crosspost: Nina Barbour helmets?
    By SarahandSam in forum Eventing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Apr. 26, 2011, 11:52 PM
  3. Here she is: Nina
    By InsideLeg2OutsideRein in forum Dressage
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Aug. 24, 2010, 01:14 AM
  4. Barbour repair
    By rivenoak in forum Hunting
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: May. 28, 2010, 10:56 PM
  5. Barbour ruined?? Please advise!
    By Kristin in forum Off Course
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: Nov. 8, 2009, 09:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness