The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Foxhounds

Hi; I have taken on the job of re homing the retired foxhounds from my hunt.
    I would like to start a thread that I can send prospective foster/ adopters where they can see what they may be getting into. Please include age, type, sex, etc.
    Some hounds never get the domestication thing down, but make good farm dogs, others act as if they had lived in a house all of there life.
    I will start with my own...
    First hound (lemon and white, crossbred, female,3yo) has some serious fear issues. Very sweet but very nervous, after 6 months in the house she still wouldn't let my husband touch her. Adapted to the crate very well, easy to house train. Wants to live with a single woman that has a fenced yard.

Second hound (tan, July crossbred, female, 7yo) This hound immediately owned the house. Sleeps in my bed, easy to house train, loves people. neighbors thought she was a lab.
    She is perfect for our farm.
    Now I would like to hear any other stories of adopted hounds good or bad.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I've had a number of retired foxhounds in the past and believe that age is a very good indicator of how they will adapt to pet life. The ones I've had who did well--just hopped on the bed and never wanted to move--were on the upper age end. I've had only two who didn't work out and both were younger. They just weren't ready to quit kennel life and hunting.

It may be a hound thing in general, since it seems that my experience with beagles is the same.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire