The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I screwed up...kitten/dog

I adopted one of the barn kittens.

Before he came home, I spent time letting him get to know my dogs. He was also used to living with the barn heeler.

So after keeping the guys apart from each other for a couple of days, I let my male dog meet kitty here at the house. Kitty loved dog, dog loved kitty. Lots of head bumps and wagging tails. My dog loved him, while my two cats hate him.

Here's where I screwed up. While I was brushing my teeth last night, I saw kitten bowed up, going towards my adult female cat..I go over to pick him up with my dog on my heels, Dog got to kitten before I did...Kitten was in high anxiety mode, turned around and popped dog on the nose. Dog reacted like a dog and jumped on kitten. Kitten is okay physically, but now will only growl and hiss if he sees the dog. I know he was traumatized and I understand why he is now afraid. Dog has been very respectful and will not go near him.

My question is....is there any way to turn this around?

Well Crisis seems to be over this AM..he head bumped the dog and no hissing

Should be fine-just watch your dog when kitty is on the crazy-kitty-train...don't allow any approach/chasing. You don't want the dog to indulge his chase instinct. On the other hand, kitty might decide he is BMOC and harrass your dog-just keep eyes open as they learn about each other's habits and boundaries, and enforce mutual respect.

We had two inside cats and a dog. Cats tolerated dog.

Then took in kitten left on our porch. We had to bottle raise this kitten. Our dog a female Toller became kittens mother. Kitten is now young male cat. He beats up on and plays with our dog. Our dog is right in there playing. There's plenty of head bumps and they even sleep together on occasion.

Our dog has even befriended most of the cats of the cat colony we take care of. The cats all come out to greet her and they all head bump. Now if one of them starts to run, it's play time and our dog just has to chase. Even after a good chase the cats come back to head bump.

Great to hear all is back to normal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	earlene-n-pepe.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	32636  

Just had to say, very very cute photo 7HL =)
    "Never let the fear of striking out, keep you from playing the game."

Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    We had two inside cats and a dog. Cats tolerated dog.

Then took in kitten left on our porch. We had to bottle raise this kitten. Our dog a female Toller became kittens mother. Kitten is now young male cat. He beats up on and plays with our dog. Our dog is right in there playing. There's plenty of head bumps and they even sleep together on occasion.

Our dog has even befriended most of the cats of the cat colony we take care of. The cats all come out to greet her and they all head bump. Now if one of them starts to run, it's play time and our dog just has to chase. Even after a good chase the cats come back to head bump.

Great to hear all is back to normal.
    Very cute!!

Kitten is getting along with all three 70 plus pound dogs just fine now (been two and a half days)...he is a very confident little fellow.

We have named him Rupert. He's the little Orange one in the picture

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/d...gekittytwo.jpg

Woke me up at 2am decided he wanted to attack play my hands...after three attempts of tossing him on the floor and Rupert not getting the hint, Rupert spent the night in the bathroom with the door closed.

He's a funny little creature, that's for sure. Went running up to my husband and pulled a hit and run earlier...swiped his foot and then took off.

Now I don't think my cats care for him at all....they want NOTHING to do with him. My male cat is hiding and female just spits at him when she sees him.

dalpal- That may be the cutest picture I've seen in a long time!
    Every one of them had that look of a girl infatuated with horses, the happy, fated look of a passenger setting sail on the Titanic.