The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dog De-Barker

I dont know if thats what its actually called, but thats what I call it! Its the little machine that makes a high pitched noise that only dogs can hear when they bark. (Or something along those lines).

Saw one in a store the other day and we got it. I have a WEIRD sleep schedule (dont sleep between 3am-7am but then fall asleep again between 7-10am--ish). SO leaves the house at 7:30, takes the dogs out of the bedroom and I get to sleep in. Problem is--the dogs bark for a few minutes every half hour or so. ("Look--theres a bird in the yard! Ohh, a car went by! Hmm..the wind is blowing!!)

Got the dog de-barker in hopes that we could put it out there with them while im attempting to sleep. We tried it out once while we were with the dogs, and it seemed to work. However, on the instructions, it says when the dog stops barking you have to praise like crazy. Problem is--the dogs rarely bark when we're with them.

I feel like im rambling...but I guess I would like to know what people think of these (are they mean!?) and how important is the praising part if the dogs seem to stop barking when they hear the noise?

I don't think they are mean at all. I ordered the citronella spray one for my barking dog but haven't recieved it yet.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

1) Success through Management; Can you take away the things that the dog barks at. ie if they are sitting by the window barking at the squirrels can you keep them in a room without a window? Crate them? Put sheets over the crates so they can't see out. (this is just for the 7-10 am time period when you are sleeping). Let them sleep in with you? Have the SO give them a hard core walk/run/fetch sesssion before he/she leaves them int he house with you trying to sleep in? Tongue on the Ground can be a good thing. Ie a tired dog is a content dog.

2) Success through training; the praise thing is the training that many people never follow through on. Think of the sonic no barker thing as a training gadget, ie draw reins. it can work if you use is as part of your training toolbox, but might not work if it's all that you use. In other words for some dogs just the sonic noise might be enough to stop the barking permanatly.... but for others you do need to follow up and use training (ie praise when they are quiet) I own a barky breed dog fwiw, and haven't found the perfect solution other than tongue on the ground.

FWIW I think that real De-Barking of a dog is surgically removing the vocal chords.... so you are not technically de-barking your dog. Just pointing that out incase you get someone reading your post and freaking out on you.

We bought the anti-bark machine from Hammacher Schlemmer. Didn't work and YES we followed the instructions. We had exactly the same issues you faced (and oddly enough I had a similar sleep pattern LOL). Making it worse, we were in a rental at the time with 2 more dogs then the landlord thought we had! We should've returned the darn thing, it was like $50 bucks and HS has a very good return policy.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Nope, not mean. There's also the ultrasonic models that you put in a room, the dog barks, the thing squeels (you can't hear it) and the dog theoretically shuts up!

If I had a dog who barked and barked and barked, I'd try all sorts of things to shut him up...including debarking (very simple, doesn't hurt them and takes all of 2 minutes to do (you cut the vocal cords with a uterine biopsy punch under local anethesia).

I taught my boxer to not bark when she was a puppy...took about an hour over 2 days...a worthwhile investment.

Now, my idiot neighbor's bloody hounds who barked forever (lovely at 2:00 AM when their skanky daughter was out on the town and left the dogs outside)...I wanted to cure their barking with a .22!
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Get a basenji :-)

Quote Originally Posted by atlatl View Post
    Get a basenji :-)
    Terminal Yodeling!

The American Indians taught their dogs not to bark. It's not that difficult and not the least bit a punishing technique...for puppies.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

I can usually get my parent's dog not to bark. My mom doesn't really care, but when I'm home I can usually get him to cut it out. You do have to be awake for this though, I give him an "aht" when I see him lock on to something outside, and again when he barks/whines about it. Then praise when he listens. If you have the time to do this during the day, it might carry over to that early morning. Otherwise I'd try NRB's management ideas. How are you with earplugs?
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Kateh, during the day, I do the same thing. Doesnt seem to carry over to when im out of the room though. I may just have to get ear plugs!

I cant keep them in the room with me when im sleeping because they each have little habits that wake me up. One sleeps with her feet up against the wall and (multiple times a night/morning) runs in her sleep and scratches the wall. The other girl gets up and down off of the bed a few times and the boy licks himself A LOT. Each of these things wakes me up each and every time they happen...i'm a VERY light sleeper....aka I dont sleep much!)

SO put out the de barker this morning before he left, but of course this is the one morning I wake up on my own right after he leaves. I've left it on all day since. I went back to check the horses twice and each time ive returned, theyve barked. (well, one dog seems to understand the de barker, one gets it sometimes and the other ("special") dog DOES NOT GET IT. Bless her heart, but shes an idiot.
    Of course they barked at me each time I came home, but the Fed Ex guy came up the driveway (no reaction) and rang the door bell (usually they go crazy for the doorbell). Nothing. No response. hmmph.

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat518 View Post
    Each of these things wakes me up each and every time they happen...i'm a VERY light sleeper....aka I dont sleep much!)
    I'm a lite sleeper and spent the better part of my teens/20's in insomnia land so I can really sympathise with your plight. I do love my Ambian. The 5mg dose is enough. I also use ear plugs on occasion as well.

For those that sleep at odd hours, a white noise machine is your friend

I work mids and sleep during the day , and it really helps drown out the sound from outside (including my dopes barking) and help you get a good night/days sleep.

This is what I have and it is worth every penny. The only drawback to it is that once you get used to sleeping with it on it is hard to sleep without it.

http://www.amazon.com/Marpac-SleepMa.../dp/B000KUHFGM
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

box fan in the summer and a humidifier in the winter are my white noise machines.

Quote Originally Posted by LoriO View Post
    For those that sleep at odd hours, a white noise machine is your friend

I work mids and sleep during the day , and it really helps drown out the sound from outside (including my dopes barking) and help you get a good night/days sleep.

This is what I have and it is worth every penny. The only drawback to it is that once you get used to sleeping with it on it is hard to sleep without it.

http://www.amazon.com/Marpac-SleepMa.../dp/B000KUHFGM
    My SO worked 2nd/3rd shift for years. I bought him one for Xmas about5 years ago and it been used daily ever since. Best $30 I ever spent!

The only other drawback to getting used to the white noise machine is when you lose power. Nothing like the sound of silence to wake you right up
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

I live in Massachusetts and the box fan in my bedroom is on seven nights a week, even in January. I have a little white noise machine that I bring with me if I travel.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

wish i could find something to stop my dog from barking. she's an aussie/chow mix who is the boss of the pack and she gets going whenever someone comes in or out of the house or driveway.

we've tried the citronella colllar, the high pitched squeally thing, spray bottles of water, ignoring barking and praising effusively for quiet, air horn, i can't remember what else.

it makes us nuts, though we love her to pieces.
    we're going to get a trainer at the house for a few sessions, since i really do not wish to de-bark her.
    ugh, never had such a persistant barking problem.

How about a no-bark collar?

We tried "bark-off" and with 6 dogs, it was a good experiment.

One of the JRT's hid for days....the others basically laughed it off.....