The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can I have a quick pet related rant?

Today I was skimming a writer's forum that I'm a member of and noticed a thread by somebody about their dogs. Said somebody has three dogs - two male and one female. Said somebody cannot afford to have the female spayed (Oh, yeah, and she spelled it "sprayed" enough times to convince me it wasn't an inadvertent typo...) or the one unaltered male neutered. She thought this was okay and that she'd be able to prevent the two from "doing the deed".

No such luck. Female is now pregnant. So now, the person that cannot afford routine and relatively inexpensive vet care on two of the dogs she already has, is all set to bring a litter of unplanned mutts into the world. Awesome.

Can somebody please explain to me why people think it is okay to acquire animals that they cannot actually afford? Please? Because this is making me absolutely crazy.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Because you can't fix stupid. I could go on, but really that's what it boils down to. Like people who say, "But they're brother and sister!!!! How could he DO THAT with his SISTER????" Stupidity is everywhere. Be consoled by the fact that this writer will not be taking any money out of your pocket because she obviously CAN'T WRITE, isn't smart enough to use SPELL-CHECK, or even proof-read. Sorry, that's my rant
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

So true, you can't fix stupid. These are the same people that will go on to do numerous other stupid things, repeatedly. I have a co-worker that was always trying to give me one of her kittens. The cat was always having litters. She even offered to take it to her vet to get it neutered. Hmm, why not take your female there and stop the endless insanity?

It really annoys me how people acquire an animal and can't afford S/N. To me that is a basic element of care, and it's a one time deal. And I guarantee most people with the lack-of-money excuse still manage to buy alcohol, cigs, drugs, eat out, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Can somebody please explain to me why people think it is okay to acquire animals that they cannot actually afford? Please? Because this is making me absolutely crazy.
    For the same reason people have children they can't afford:
    a) poor planning
    b) you can't fix stupid.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

I was at our vet's clinic several months ago and there was a person there with 4 [very expensive and not very common breed] puppies in a box. They were there for their puppy checkups, which is a positive. But the owner had both the parents, registered purebreds, who mated "by accident" and now this litter of expensive purebred puppies.

Dog people are always telling people to go to a good breeder when looking for a puppy or dog, rather than a pet store. Well, here was an example of a breeder of purebreds who could apparently afford both the two purebred parents and proper puppy care--and still couldn't manage to keep the mating from happening.

Sure, accidents happen. But I did wonder.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Most local humane society organizations offer low cost spay/neuter. There is no reason why someone cannot take advantage of this, other than pure laziness or stupidity. (you would think with all the birth control available, we would not have as much teen pregnancies either)...

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    I was at our vet's clinic several months ago and there was a person there with 4 [very expensive and not very common breed] puppies in a box. They were there for their puppy checkups, which is a positive. But the owner had both the parents, registered purebreds, who mated "by accident" and now this litter of expensive purebred puppies.
    Sure, accidents happen. But I did wonder.
    Well, as a breeder, I can tell you I had one "oops" litter many years ago. My standard longhair dachshund bred to my miniature longhair dachshund. The puppy I kept from that litter became the foundation for my breed down program and now I have strictly miniatures. The rest of the litter went to responsible pet owners who were waiting for a purebred longhair dachshund....

It is not so much that the breeder had a mistake litter, it is what does she do with the puppies afterwards? I am sure she has a waiting list for puppies anyway and obviously bringing them in for their wellness exams/shots/etc. appears to me that she is taking responsibility for this "mistake".

Honestly, this is why you should have to have a license to own animals. You should have to pass a test. Same thing with breeding. You should be required by law to spay (or "spray" haha) or neuter your dog if you arent a licensed breeder. If you dont, its a hefty fine.

Its not just the people who think their dog wont get pregnant, so they dont spay. Its educated people too. People who have two pure bred dogs (but not great representatives of the breed) and they want to have a litter because they are cute and they want to give them to good homes and make money.

We have very dear family friends (truly, I've known them since I was in utero, as my dad grew up with their dad) whose cat had. . .

Get ready for it. . .

27 litters of kittens in the time they owned her.

They LAUGHED about it, called her their "slut kitty". I was too young at the time to realize how horrible this was (or to say anything even if I did). Now, they always found homes for the kittens, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona DQ View Post
    Most local humane society organizations offer low cost spay/neuter. There is no reason why someone cannot take advantage of this, other than pure laziness or stupidity. (you would think with all the birth control available, we would not have as much teen pregnancies either)...
    Just to play devil's advocate here, it can be difficult to meet the appropriate criteria for a humane society organization's S/N program. I know when I was looking to have my girl spayed, I was quoted up to $1,000 by local vets. I lucked out and managed to get her spayed through a local vet school program for a reasonable deal

Granted, people should plan for that $500-$1000 to S/N, but I guess I understand people waiting. I could afford it, but $1000 is hard to swallow when you have other expenses and I honestly didn't realise it was that expensive!! I expected something in the $400 range MAX, which is what I had been quoted in the past (and I would have coughed up the $500-$1000, but lucked out with the vet school). Plenty of people also keep their animals intact on purpose, without problem (and weighing any health concerns) - you just have to be extra cautious. When they do it responsibly, I think it's their choice. Furthermore, sometimes you get the puppy and everything necessary and plan on spaying and neutering, but sh!t happens and you put it off.

On the other hand, I do abhor people breeding irresponsibly, or allowing accidents to happen (within reason!). I think a lot of people just don't realize the serious implications allowing their dog or cat to have countless litters (or even one litter), actually has. They don't think about it

As for the purebred breeder noted above? Sounds like the breeder handled it as responsibly as possible given the situation, so I see no issue.

(and for the record, no accident pups, kittens, or what here, lol)
    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

I'd be careful about wishing for Mandatory S/N laws. The only people who would pay attention to them are the people who would get their pet S/N anyway! The ones that are proposed don't make sense and affect the people who show in confirmation. Many people keep one intact dog and show in the breed ring. These people are generally responsible so no law is needed.

When has a law ever fixed "stupid". How is that law going to be inforceable? Is that really what you want your government doing for you?

Upwards of $1000 for a spay ? Never heard of it being that pricy, I guess it could vary depending on where you live but for me $500 would be expensive even at the best of vet clinics.....

Many of the spay/neuter programs are very strict about who qualifies (you have to make under a certain amount of money/year and it is a very low number) but if you really look and ask around there are usually programs that are more open, they're just not as widely advertised/known. It took me some searching but my SPCA has a clinic right next to it that is open to the public and is I think 55 for male dogs and 75 or 80 for female dogs and then cats are somewhere in that ballpark too. You do have to make an appointment a solid 3-4 months+ in advanced thought, but it's worth it.
    "to live is the rarest thing in the world, most people merely exist."

Quote Originally Posted by naturalequus View Post
    Granted, people should plan for that $500-$1000 to S/N, but I guess I understand people waiting. I could afford it, but $1000 is hard to swallow when you have other expenses and I honestly didn't realise it was that expensive!! I expected something in the $400 range MAX, which is what I had been quoted in the past (and I would have coughed up the $500-$1000, but lucked out with the vet school).
    Surely you jest?! I had our 50lb Boxer spayed for $150, including her annual shots, at a regular vet clinic, not even the low-cost... Did your dog have some sort of condition/anomaly? No wonder people don't get it done if $500 - $1,000 is typical in some places...

As to the Original Topic, one of my coworker's wife and daughter have been churning out Chihauhas for years and it drives me insane. Their house is a mess from all the dogs messing in it and they think it's so wonderful and they make money from it! So it must be a good idea! Argh...
    Quarry Rat

My neighbors had a plan to breed border collies. They got two females and were going to send them out for breeding. Thankfully that never came to fruition! The girls fought (bloody) with each other all the time and had to be separated at all times. One would get to stay in teh house with the family and the other would be outside in a kennel. It was really loud.

They also neglected to put any kind of training on the dogs, they couldn't even let them run around on the property because they didn't have any kind of recall. They also would chase their horses and cows and bite them, kill chicken, you get the idea. One day one of the dogs got onto our property and they couldn't catch her. Little CB had to go out and do it for them. I was really nice about it but did tell them in no uncertain terms that if they chased my horses, chances were good that my horses would seriously maim the dog. I have three fearless dog haters.

They have since found a home for one of the dogs but still have not spayed the other. They take her for walks on their property on a leash because they still haven't tried to train her. They have 5 kids at home that are all over the age of 10. You would think someone would take the time. Oh, we heard what sounded like a dog getting struck by a car last week, yesterday we saw them walking the dog down our fence line and it was limping very badly. They are nice people but seriously need to wake up. The dog also has a bad flea allergy but they dont want to spend the money on flea control because its so expensive. They just give her lots of baths instead.

Vet care in my area is really reasonable. It was under 300 to get my dog spayed, vaccinated, and dewormed and that was the first time she had been there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    Surely you jest?! I had our 50lb Boxer spayed for $150, including her annual shots, at a regular vet clinic, not even the low-cost... Did your dog have some sort of condition/anomaly? No wonder people don't get it done if $500 - $1,000 is typical in some places...

As to the Original Topic, one of my coworker's wife and daughter have been churning out Chihauhas for years and it drives me insane. Their house is a mess from all the dogs messing in it and they think it's so wonderful and they make money from it! So it must be a good idea! Argh...
    $150 in these parts is unheard of; $400 or so probably means the vet isn't someone you necessarily want to go to (ie, high risk of infection, etc). My own clinic quoted me upwards of $850, non-negotiable (ie, no options to remove to reduce price). Price increases as weight and age does, and especially if your female has already had a heat (even if it is several weeks after). Laser surgery is even more! My (Rottie x Redbone Coonhound) girl was about 55lbs at the time. This is without any conditions or anomalies, though my girl *did* have hind dew claws I wanted removed (if I could afford it!). But upwards of approx. $500 is still the base (not considering dew claws or what) for a good (reputable) vet, when you factor in pain meds after, taxes, etc. This is local vets within an hour of me; I have no idea what it's like in other provinces or areas and was in fact advised by some to take my dog to the states for a cheaper spay. I checked out a good 15+ clinics and looked HARD for S/N programs in the area but found nothing helpful.

Annual shots are approx. $100 I think it's been, for all the usual, including kennel cough (and they won't let me administer them myself, as I do my horses). For de-worming, my vets insist on having me purchase a 6months pack for $200+. Sorry, but I'll instead look for alternatives!

There's a reason I have pup insured for injury/illness! It costs less to care for my horses than it does the one dog
    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Wow, I feel for you! The vet we use isn't a hack either, just getting older with a very small practice and only takes established clients. I think the other good vets in town were about $200 - $250.
    Quarry Rat

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    Because you can't fix stupid.
    Nail hit firmly on the head here!

Add in a bit of lazy and you have it.

$1000 seems crazy for a spay. Wow. Even for my over priced area of the world.

[QUOTE=paintsrgreat;5559048]I'd be careful about wishing for Mandatory S/N laws. The only people who would pay attention to them are the people who would get their pet S/N anyway! The ones that are proposed don't make sense and affect the people who show in confirmation. Many people keep one intact dog and show in the breed ring. These people are generally responsible so no law is needed.
    QUOTE]

Exactly right! The Animal Rights people are trying to get mandatory Spay/Neuter laws all over! Their goal is to spay and neuter ALL animals. And where would that leave us? One generation and then all companion animals are gone.

Their somewhat innocuous proposals to allow breeders like me to be allowed to keep "5 or 15 intact bitches" sounds pretty reasonable, but once that law is on the books, it is easier to drop the limit time after time...... and that is where they will shut us all down. As far as licensing breeders, that is a great way to keep track of us and regulate us. There are proposed laws now where they want to regulate the type of enclosures my dogs have to be kept in, the amount of exercise they have to have and the type of flooring in each enclosure! All my dogs live in my house and some sleep in bed with me. They have access to 1/4 acre and run and play at will. if this law came into being, my dogs would have to live in a separate building away from me.

Sorry to go on so long, but this is a very scarey time for all breeders and will eventually carry over to the horse industry as well. We all have to work together to stop all of this.

$1000 for a spay??? That's NUTS! $100 bucks will cover it here!!!

It is no joke about the cost to spay an adult female in this area. I recently had my retired show bitch spayed. She is a 60lb dog, it cost me 700 dollars. NO complications, extra anesthesia. It is highway robbery and in my opinion bad vet medicine. I do not want my retired bitch to get pyo, so I did it, but I am still so angry about the price. I give this vet over 3 grand in yearly shots, heartworm etc, and then I have to get gouged on a spay. And don't even get me started on the price of dentals, one of the single most important things you can do to keep your pet healthy. They have priced them so out of proportion to what is actually done, most people now skip it if they can. They harp and harp on the benefits and then price it out of the range of alot of average families. You should not have to be wealthy to own a dog. Makes me sick.