The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Parrots

I'm soooo excited COTH opened this forum!

My first topic is about parrots. I've randomly talked about them in off-topic days.

I used to have an amazon called Sabbath. I re-homed him to a happier home when I moved into a condo that was just too small for him.

After that I bought Coral, my Sun Conure, who I had been wanting for about 10 years. I didn't think it was fair to have more than 1 parrot b/c they really need daily attention devoted to them. Coral is everything I wanted in a Sun Coral, beautiful, personality, and cuddly as can be!!!

Anybody else owned by a winged pet?

P.S. I went to add a photo of each of them but I don't seem to have that option. Boo hoo.

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

Me!! I have a Timneh African Grey parrot named DaVinci! He is only about a year and a half old and I've only had him maybe 4 months. I love him to pieces though

He has assumed my daughter as his primary person, meaning she now looks much like a pirate with the parrot constantly on her shoulder He has a hissy when she leaves his sight and he KNOW's she's home. Although sometimes I think they have bonded too much... caught him on her shoulder talking while she was playing a computer game... well not just talking.. helping.. he kept saying "there's more ammo... there's more ammo... there's more ammo" until DD says I SEE it!! then he laughs

He also has an odd fondness for all things chicken.. and let me tell you it is mildly disturbing to see a parrot with a chicken leg in his foot going to town. He likes eggs too.

They are a lot of work but they are so darned smart I love having a parrot around! I missed my Congo Grey I had years ago but had to rehome when I got divorced. I didn't realize how much I missed parrot chatter until I had it again
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

My daughter has a 3 yo rose crowned conure named Beau. She moved out of town (one hour away), but brings him back home on her days off. The house is so quiet without him... I miss him! He can be a little turd at times and he also screams when he knows she is home but leaves the room.

We are doing renovations at home now and have to schedule our painting days around the bird's visits.

Tazzie, I think I still have the pictures of your sun conure!!! I must admit being a bit intimidated by the macaws, even babies...they are big, heavy and those claws!!!

Cool! I love hearing about silly parrot antics

horse-loverz, mine love chicken too! For the first few years I thought "oh no, my birds are cannibals!" now I just laugh and let the visitors to the house get grossed out

I am owned by an 18 year old female Meyer's parrot named Paco and a 12 year old male Senegal named Precious Roy. Both came "certified pre-owned" and are a bit special... Paco wasn't socialized well, and she can be a total pill. She goes for blood every time she sees the DH Roy is half pirate/half parrot, because he only has one leg. He gets around great though, and is super friendly. I think I've posted links to their pics before on OT day... let me see if I can find them around here somewhere...
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

Big bird lover here too. Have had parrots (blue/gold Macaw; African Grey) but am now owned by a cockatiel and a ring necked parakeet. My ringneck adopted us by flying into our backyard a couple months ago and finding his way INTO my cockatiel's cage. Thus, we figured he was meant to be and got him his own cage. He is not tame but we love him just the same.

Here is Jude:
    http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/g...c/P1100184.jpg

No pics of Perry downloaded. Need to do something about that!
    Become a Posse and help keep kids on horses and off the streets.
    http://www.comptonjrposse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by horse-loverz View Post
    He has assumed my daughter as his primary person, meaning she now looks much like a pirate with the parrot constantly on her shoulder He has a hissy when she leaves his sight and he KNOW's she's home. Although sometimes I think they have bonded too much... caught him on her shoulder talking while she was playing a computer game... well not just talking.. helping.. he kept saying "there's more ammo... there's more ammo... there's more ammo" until DD says I SEE it!! then he laughs
    I don't have any birds, but that is sooo cute and funny!

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Default Great Timing!

Just yesterday I got my second winged pet, another cockatiel! I had one when I was in college and i LOFFED her. She was the sweetest little thing. I went away fro spring break and my parents were watching her for me and they left the window open..they're very susceptible to drafts and she died
    (as a side note..apparently my dad wanted to save her body for me..for what reason I don't know, I guess maybe as evidence that she DID in fact die and he didn't just release her into the wilderness or something..and so he put her in a ziploc bag in our freezer and she remained there for YEARS. Nothing like being presented with your frozen pet when you come back from vacation!)

I don't think anyone who hasn't been around a pet bird gets how remarkably strong they can bond to you. My first 'tiel was like having a little "mini-me." She would sit on my shoulder while I got ready to go anywhere..when I brushed my hair she'd preen her feathers. She loved to sit on the shower bar when I showered. She loved to eat dinner with me, and she always wanted to try what I was eating. As soon as I got home she'd start calling for me. I really liked her.
    So I got another one yesterday. It's unsexed (only 2 months old or so) and it's still a little stand-offish but I had it out this morning before work and it'll chatter at me a little and seemed pretty interested in hanging out with me while I got ready for work. Hopefully it will be very much like Layla, my first one

Someday I will have a bird friend, but that day will have to be when I no longer have a full-time job outside of the house. With all of the travel, I don't think it would be fair to the bird. I remember seeing lots of pictures maybe two OT days ago and I was in love with several fellow COTH-ers' birds!

I'm picturing an out-for-blood African Grey gamer now

Dunno if I qualify for this post as most of my birds are breeders....and as such do NOT care for people that much!

I do plan to keep my first baby Green Wing macaw... if the male can ever figure out how to get them eggs fertile!!

We have a Green Cheeked Conure, who is the rudist, nastiest thing. But he's sweet too, loves to ride on my shoulder, and nibble on my ears. His name is Tequila, and his best trick is to dance when you sing, "Go Tequila, Go!" and repeat it! He can't talk as much as the African Greys or MaCaws do, but I often leave the radio on when we're out of the house, and when we're around, he mutters what sounds like human conversation, but with indistinguishable words, just the sounds and rythms.

We got him from the guy that owns the shoe store where I used to get shoes for my kids. He had him, and since he would bite, they wanted to give him away. They usually have a parrot sitting in the window of the store. So, of course, I said sure, we'll take him, and my son was all into the idea, so its really his bird. Before him, I had 2 Cockatiels, one flew away, and the other was a female that kept laying eggs and squawking so I gave her away. Now we have our little Tequila. He's quite tempermental, but he and the Chihuahua named Tito, that we adopted, have become good friends. Or at least the dog and cat haven't tried to eat him yet. He will call out Tito's name whenever he's around. I think its similar enough to his own that he thinks its his too. On the other hand, if you think about it, from his point of view, we are his flock, so "Go, Tequila, Go" is a call, and "Tito" is just another call.

He does have a strict bedtime, which is right about now, I'm hearing him start to chirp, he wants to shut things down. Time to turn off the tv, the lights, cover the cage, and say "good night Tequila" as I point for him to go into his cage.

Here's a pic with my son http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

This is one of my Coral stories that I posted in a January off-topic thread, I have many cute one!:

I adore this little girl! She is my best friend, but she also loves visitors and strangers. She has a ton of personality and is the most cuddly little thing. She loves it when it's a weekend & I am hanging out on the couch for hours watching tv. She'll get under the blanket and take a nap curled up against me, just like my dog!

She also loves to look outside. Often her and Evan (chihuahua) will sit side by side on a big couch pillow staring out the window, I really need to get a photo of them.

This past Christmas was spent with family taking photos of eachother with Coral sitting happily with them. She loved going from one family member to another to inspect them & say hello. She never tries to bite, though will scream if taken by surprise.

She loves to duck down in the throat of my shirt, turn around & hang out inside my shirt with her head sticking out at my throat.

If she's on my shoulder when a noise scares her, she will LITERALLY run and dive for my shirt to hide.

I could go on & on with stories about her. I really love birds, and want to some day own a bigger bird, but have also wanted a Sun for about 10 years when I finally bought Coral about a year ago, and I just couldn't be happier!

I use to have a Blue Gold Macaw, Ecletus, Africian Gray, Sulfur Cockatoo - until I got my horses. Then I had to find homes for all but the Blue Gold. He was my buddy - I had to find him a home when I went through my divorce, I miss him a lot.

I now have a 3 yr old Double Yellow Headed Amazon. Her name is Toni. She can say pretty bird, I love you, whistle, we are working on some other words. She is noisy at times, but most birds are. She loves people and will cuddle with you. She was hand raised so she is very trusting and sweet.

I would love to have a Macaw again, but boyfriend says no more animals (we have a zoo)!

I recently retired from handfeeding after feeding out babies for over 15 years. I have handfed more than 500 birds in that period and many of them were Day one babies.

I now have 6 Blue crowned conures that carry on interesting conversations along with an Indian ringneck parakeet that has some physical disabilities and a Yellow nape Amazon.
    ~~Some things are true whether you believe them or not~~

*Member of the "I hate the crest release" clique*

DaVinci mugged me last night for my spaghetti and made off with my garlic bread the little thief!!!. He gets so excited seeing us eat he starts dancing and flapping his wings until he gets some. He likes the hamburger in the spaghetti sauce more than the noodles the little carnivore..
    ';;;;;;; clique

I don't have any birds, but I absolutely LOVE them. Some day when I have a bigger house, I WILL have a cockatoo! When I was a vet tech, the birds were my absolute favorite patients, even the grumpy ones. I love seeing everyone's pictures.

';;;;;;; clique

So jealous of your Grey! I grew up with a Timneh and then a Congo, and I love them both. It's hard not to have one in my life. When I'm an established stay-at-home mom, I'm going to get one of my own, but as it is right now, I'm not at home nearly enough.