The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mattaponi Show this weekend or How to read a premium?

I belong to one doggie forum but it is not as active or large as COTH. Thanks again, Mods, for creating this section.

So all you dog show folks: can someone tell me definitively if the Mattaponi All-breed Show this weekend is indoors or out?

Premium

I have heard one person say it is indoors and one say it is outdoors. Is breed inside and ob/rally outside?

It is on fairgrounds so I assumed it is outside. I tried to search online and found a premium for a breed club hosting a show that Friday in conjuction with this and it states "all judging will be indoors."

O Great COTH; help!

Anyone going? I will be there to watch. Have a friend/mentor competing, folks from the training club competing, and my Pap's breeder has a entries both days.

When I showed at Mattaponi it was indoors.

Just looked on infodog for you. The entire show is indoors. Papillons will be showing Saturday in Ring 4 at around 10:45, ring 4 is in building D.

Now if you go to infodog.com go to show information, go to check by state, click on VA, the list will come up. Choose the Mattiponi show and then on the left you will see the judges program. This will tell you where every breed is showing, what ring and time. If you scroll down there is a hand drawn map of the showgrounds.

Have fun. Remember ring times are approximate. There may be a breed entry ahead that is large so the next class may be a bit late. I always get to the ring 15 minutes before time if I am watching someone else go. Things move quickly ringside.
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

Thanks, guys! A rally person in class last night said she wasn't going because it's outdoors and her dog will lose his brain at an outdoor venue.

I guess she was just mistaken.

It must be a huge building if they are running breed, ob, and rally all indoors.

I am looking forward to it!

Red face

Doh! Someone kindly pointed out the premium states in black and white:

The Following Breeds Will Be Judged Indoors: Cocker Spaniels (All Varieties), Dachshunds
    (All Varieties), Terriers (Except Norwich Terriers), Toys (Except Yorkshire Terriers), Boston
    Terriers & Poodles (Miniature & Standard). All Other Judging Will Be Outdoors.

I am going to need so much hand-holding when I'm actually entering. I can't even read it clearly when I'm going to watch.

Mattaponi is certainly not all indoors, in fact most is outdoors. Read the premium list, and it says right on the first page which breeds are inside; the rest are outside.

Obedience and Rally look to be outside from the map....

Toy breeds are almost always judged indoors in my experience. Who wants to work for hours just to have your Maltese look like a dirty mop by the down-and-back?

I've only shown outdoors once in the classes. Groups are a different story. Luckily, my dog looks better outdoors.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom