The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any hunter/jumper barns around Iowa City, Iowa

One that offers lessons for riders without horses, but are at an intermediate-advanced level?
    Thanks so much.

Leamanach Farms with Lisa Marie Andrews Bishop - eventing barn, but does everything - within 10 min of IC

Winds Reach Farm with Bill Coester or Susan Coester Daufeldt - also eventing barn. - within 15 min of IC - ditto

In Marion IA (40 min drive north) at Crystal Creek - Katie Wills of Wills Way LLC (she may have client horses that need exercise) - hunter/jumper

Hunters Pointe in Cedar Rapids with Annie Jones. eventing/hunter/jumper

Local magazine is Apples'N'Oats (they have web site).

PM if you need more information. Des Moines has a high concentration of hunter/jumper barns.
    pace, path, balance, impulsion and ??

Don't panic! Ralph Leroy Hill

Wolf Ridge Farm with Sarah Hauschild, Eventing Barn
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

Thanks so much for the information. I so greatly appreciate it.
    Although eventing is amazing, I only have experience in the hunter/jumper arena and was more curious about barns veered towards that area.

I just moved up to this area from Florida last August, and being from the hunter/jumper world as well, I looked and looked for a barn that veered toward that. Never found one. I have my horses at Andria Pooley Advanced Performance horses now and am quite happy there. This is definitly an eventing area.

Agree with Stoney447, this is definitely an eventing area. Wait until you lay your eyes on Catalpa Corners in Solon, right outside IC. Gorgeous property. Love to volunteer out there and jump judge. Got a lot of respect for people who gallop to solid obstacles after navigating a small stream going uphill.

GrayCat hit the nail on the head with the barns out there. Andria Pooley is an eventer too, and theres also Wyndtree which I dont recommend. Let me know if you need anymore information as well.

It also depends on if you really just want to ride hunters or jumpers or dont care. Only hunters really there are 2 options. Jumpers - take your pick.

I know this is a little further than around Iowa City, but does anyone know of anything about Maffitt Lake Farms near the Desmoine area?

Maffit recently redid all of their show facilities - beautiful place. I've taken lessons with their professional Kyle Muckler - fantastic hunter rider and trainer. He knows his stuff. Dont know much about the owner, Melinda. If you're in the Des Moines area I recommend the place.

Have heard fantastic things about Maffitt Lake

Love their show facilities. Located back of their lesson/boarding facility. One grand prix ring, 3 hunter rings, show grounds improve every year. Very professional.. AA shows and schooling shows, plus some dressage weekends! In DM you have Valley Park, and in Ames Canterbury.

http://www.maffittlakefarms.com/hors...g_lessons.shtm

sounds awesome! does anyone know if they have lesson horses available, or if you must have your own horse?

I started my riding/showing career with Maffitt Lake, keep in mind though that this was about 17 years ago, when I was 5 years old. At the time, there were no lesson horses. I'm not aware as to whether or not there are now.

Melinda is who trained me, she is fantastic! I was the only child under the age of 13 in the barn and she was great with me. Her daughter runs the place now. I haven't been there for about 12 years as I've been in Indiana, but I have had many friends go there for shows and they LOVE it as a show facility. It's so exciting that it turned out well, they used to just have schooling h/j and dressage shows there. Definitely a GREAT place to ride and train; really quality professionals. I'm not aware as to whether or not Melinda is still training, she's probably in her 70's by now.

I would add that they probably do have lesson horses now that they say they are offering beginner lessons. When I was there, I was really the only "beginner".

While not quite into her 70's yet, I'm sure Melinda will get a kick out of hearing that...LOL! She did become a grandmother. Melinda has turned over most of the day to day operations to Kyle Muckler. Her daughter Libby and her husband Tim Hott are busy developing their shows and Melinda is involved in the exhibitors party aspect of that as well. It is a lovely facility, but quite the hike from Iowa City as it is past Des Moines a bit. It never was just a lesson barn and I'm not sure if there are lesson horses there or not.

Well, since Mason City is a 3.5 hr drive north, I'll take a 2 hr drive to just south of Des Moines in a heartbeat! The only downside is that unlike Mason City you have to purchase a ticket to school over the jumps. At Mason City, they open the ring (at least the baby ring) in the afternoons so you can school over the jumps you'll do on Sat and Sun - free of charge.

Ohh I really enjoy the Mason City shows. Such an easy going atmosphere.