The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

So it has been 1.5 years since I brought this TB mare home and we had a lot of work to do with muscling and development. I wanted to check back in and see what you all thought now!! I actually just posted this to JudgeMyRide, so I'll link that site, but since you all were part of my decision in getting her--I thought I'd let you know how she is turning out!

http://www.judgemyride.net/conformat...roughbred.html

She has been showing for the last 18 months and her favorite classes are the Mountaineer Hunter Jumper Association (local circuit here in PA) Hunter and Equitation Derbies! She has the scope up to 3'6", but we have only shown over 3' so far. She has incredible guts to fences and such a willing "try to please" attitude. She hasn't been "marish" a day in her life and pushes me with my riding as she is progressing so quickly. We are going to a George Morris clinic in a week in Buffalo! Such a wonderful purchase!
    Lesmiz_07

3 members found this post helpful.

I usually don't comment on these threads but she really looks great. Congratulations to you both for finding each other

she looks really fabulous :-)

Congratulations!
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

She looks awesome!
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

Have to admit, watched your video on Fbook and cried It's a wonderful thing, you did for that mare. If only everyone loved their horses the way you love yours. It's clearly brought joy to both of your lives. So happy for you both!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrownHorse View Post
    she looks really fabulous :-)
    She really does... however, it's a shame the halter is not fitted and you left the tail wrap on... both these things really take away how great she looks! Kudo's to you !!
    Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale

Thanks for the update...so often we never get a follow up. Yeah, take her tail down for pictures...but I LOVE that 2 year old in training sale picture...I'd have that one framed over her stall.

BTW, you might want to work a little on standing her up squarely for her pictures. Get her more square and rock her back a little so she steps up a mite behind there. We know she is a touch long but she can stand up alot better for you with a little practice and show off what she really is.

Good job.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I find it fascinating how much better her hind end angles look in the recent picture because of the change in her posture from your work. It's not the best/most flattering positioning, but you can still tell a difference for the better.

She's a very beautiful girl, and her build screams hunter to me. I could not stay on that jump, so good job to you!

Do you do much dressage work with her? If not, adding some in will help smooth her topline and also improve her gaits/allow her to more easily make distances as you move up in height. As of late December she was somewhat dropped in the chest while moving, which limits ability to reach under, any possible suspension in the gaits, etc.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Congratulations on all your hard work! She looks lovely and you two make a good team! I watched the video as well, you are a nice quiet rider and you guys look as though you were made for each other.
    Every one of them had that look of a girl infatuated with horses, the happy, fated look of a passenger setting sail on the Titanic.

What a nice job! Watched the video also - great editing job! Great training and bringing her along! She is lucky to have you!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    She really does... however, it's a shame the halter is not fitted and you left the tail wrap on... both these things really take away how great she looks! Kudo's to you !!
    The barn was making new stall signs for the winter and I totally forgot to take the tail bag out!! but the picture turned out so well it was hard not to still share.

And the halter is becoming a pet peeve of mine! It used to fit perfectly, but has since stretched out and I've just not yet resigned myself to getting her a new one. It also used to be fancy stitched, but she snapped the crown piece in a 4 year old "moment"...so next time we'll make full presentation
    Lesmiz_07

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    I find it fascinating how much better her hind end angles look in the recent picture because of the change in her posture from your work. It's not the best/most flattering positioning, but you can still tell a difference for the better.

She's a very beautiful girl, and her build screams hunter to me. I could not stay on that jump, so good job to you!

Do you do much dressage work with her? If not, adding some in will help smooth her topline and also improve her gaits/allow her to more easily make distances as you move up in height. As of late December she was somewhat dropped in the chest while moving, which limits ability to reach under, any possible suspension in the gaits, etc.
    We do dressage work and it has been paying off. She has made a word of difference on the flat in the last year. Her trot needed so much work as she would not push off her hind end and stretch with the shoulder, but NOW she can float and she won her first hack class (over quality company) in August. I NEVER thought we'd get something out of the trot, but we did
    Lesmiz_07

Thanks so much for all the love !! Pardon a "mom's pride!"

I'm glad you all enjoyed the video-- I make "video scrapbooks" of fun moments with both my horses and cherish them! I normally keep them as more private as, well, some might consider them cheesy but they are precious to me and I felt this one was a testament to a very classy OTTB

I've always loved the Thoroughbred breed, but I also love doing hunters (and being competitive) which we'll all admit is not an easy thing to do! So I took a long shot on this girl, but she is doing wonderful!

She LOVES being a hunter, is bold and brave and totally honest. She is never "hot" out of her stall and has yet to have a "marish" day. And she will jump from ANY spot your put her too And she's so level headed that we had a Novice rider take her around long-stirrup because her mount was having a bad day. Ali was a pro for her and just a month ago I allowed her to go as a mount for an IHSA show. She was a super star jumping honest and safe for all her riders. She even "saved a few butts" buy not allowing herself to be held to the deadly deep spots.

pround mama!
    Lesmiz_07

Count me in on the "I teared up watching the video" club! What an awesome pair you two make...such a fantastic story.

And how can you not love that face?!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyPony View Post
    In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!

I just wanted to add my congratulations.

You've done a terrific job with her. Except we need lots and lots more recent video and jumping photos What a pretty mare!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Thanks so much everyone! I'll do my best to get around some fresh video and pics Didn't take as many this year, but perhaps I could still come up with something for a video
    Lesmiz_07

What a difference! She is even standing more like a lady. Goodness, those Thoroughbred necks are so scrawny when they're racing/training to race. Her neck is looking so nice, now. And will only continue to look better! Kudos to you on her weight. It appears you have balanced an excellent training program with her food intake. Love this success story. =]

Loved the video. It looks like you have a friend for life there. Nicely done!
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns