The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation Conformation Update 1.5 Years After Original Post!! :)

**Updated after 1.5 years!

So I'm going to try this mare at the end of this week. She is a 16hh, 3 yo OTTB. She was only raced twice and was donated to an adoption farm straight off the track (no neglect or abuse). She is vet certified sound and in good condition. I'd love opinions on her conformation potential as a hunter/jumper since I am in no way an expert on the subject. I'm not necessarily looking for something for high levels, but a capable mount that has jumping potential and the body type for quality movement is important.

http://s1114.photobucket.com/albums/...3DDSC_0003.jpg

Let me know what you think and thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Lesmiz_07; Oct. 31, 2012 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Update after 1.5 years!!
    Lesmiz_07

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

ConFORMation..the other is what Catholics do
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

First off, it's conformation. Sorry, it's a pet peeve.

Second, that's not a good picture to judge conformation. The angle makes her back look 3 miles long and her hindquarters teensy. That said, she looks like quite a nice mare. I like her shoulder a lot, I think her neck is okay (I'm not a good judge of necks... as long as it holds the head on, it's good enough for me), her forearm/cannon/pasterns look to be of appropriate length. She's absolutely worth a try. Overall looks to be a very classy girl.

haha good catch!! Fixed it
    Lesmiz_07

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    First off, it's conformation. Sorry, it's a pet peeve.

Second, that's not a good picture to judge conformation. The angle makes her back look 3 miles long and her hindquarters teensy. That said, she looks like quite a nice mare. I like her shoulder a lot, I think her neck is okay (I'm not a good judge of necks... as long as it holds the head on, it's good enough for me), her forearm/cannon/pasterns look to be of appropriate length. She's absolutely worth a try. Overall looks to be a very classy girl.
    Thanks so much! Yeah, I know it isn't the best picture, but it is all I have until I go see her on Friday. I know that she needs some muscle work, but she is only three and has only had light work since she has been off the track. I just want a fresh set of eyes since I'm excited about her and want objective judgment calls
    Lesmiz_07

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

yep, I quite like her..and thanks for fixing that...it does tend to drive me batty also
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Interesting color and markings! You can't tell a lot from the pics. She looks like she might be long and front-heavy, with a bigger/heavier, slightly downhill front end than rear end structure, and maybe a tendency to get strung out with her long back. I tend to like my horses to be more matched and level, with shorter backs. But that could be the pic angle, just something to look for in person. Sweet, sweet face, what a cutie! Wouldn't mind seeing that face hanging over the stall door in the morning. I don't see anything that would stop me from bringing her home if she was a great mover with a good personality.

Thanks! Yeah I hear tell that she is bursting with personality--playing tag with the current owner this morning during feed time or something like that! I too noticed that her hind end seems smaller, but it is farther away from the camera than her shoulder. I'm hoping that improves when I see her. Thanks for your thoughts !
    Lesmiz_07

I agree - she has a particularly sweet face. I am SUCH a sucker for a chestnut TB; mare or gelding (& have had several mares who were NOT crazy ).

I love her legs; her cannons are a little long (for cosmetic purposes only) but she has a great angle to her pastern & nice knees and feet.

She does appear to be long - even in the neck but not too scrawny.

I don't think I would let conformation affect my decision too much (unless it looks like 3 different horses mashed into one or there's glaring faults) - lots of horses that are almost perfectly put together can't jump a stick & others that are further from the "ideal" have lovely form/movement.

I buy lots of OTTB's - if I like the horse, I like the horse & could care less if he/she has long cannons or a less than perfect slope to the shoulder.

Let us know once you see her what you decide - she's so, so cute!
    \"Don\'t go throwing effort after foolishness\" >>>Spur, Man From Snowy River

Thanks so much everyone . I'm really excited to try her out! I have a feeling that I'm going to come home with her, but of course I'm staying as objective as I can

I'm very pleased with the feedback I've gotten! I'm not too informed on conformation beyond knowing what can be majorly wrong with a horse's body lol so it is good to hear that the feedback is positive. Thanks!
    Lesmiz_07

Kind of like her (and I am notorious for not liking most of these).

Really can't see much about overall length from this angle. Have a suspicion she is still racing fit and that does make them pretty tight in the belly and almost wasp waisted, it can make them look like they almost taper off to the hindquarters from some angles-like this one, unfortunately.

I doubt this one has many problems with back end size when viewed from a proper angle and/or after she loses some of that dead fit tightness and fills out. Looks like she has some size and she is certainly not downhill. Looks like she will have a nice topline as well.

And, you know, she IS pretty. If you are looking to make one a show horse or even just to resell one? Good looks sure don't hurt at all.

Keep us posted.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Thanks! Her looks struck me right away too I'm glad I'm not crazy lol My plans for her would be a year of trail rides (bombproofing and exposure to as many things as I can find since most track horses have seen very little outside of their "world") and letting her brain and body finish developing in a relaxed way. I'll also start her over ground poles/cavalettis as a prelim to jumping. No jumping for a year though, I want to make sure those joints are fused and sound from racing.

In a few years I'd like to make a show horse out of her. She wouldn't be a sell prospect since she is a Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation adoption and they don't allow resell (as much as I presently understand on the topic) but she is supposed to be VERY quiet and may work as a nice lesson horse or lease once she is finished.
    Lesmiz_07

I like her and agree with the above posters in that unless the faults are glaringly obvious in a horse, they are probably not going to be slowed down much; most faults are workable. It depends on the individual horse. This one though is quite nice with nothing unreasonable or glaring based on the photo provided, imo. Temperament and how that clicks with you plays a large role as well. I'd definitely check her out, and depending on her 'tude and how she moved, take her back to my barn (IF I didn't have enough horses already ).

I think your idea of starting her is a good one; hills and poles will also build pushing power and strength, which can then later be developed into carrying power. Just keep in mind this: http://www.equinestudies.org/ranger_..._2008_pdf1.pdf. Her joints will not actually finish fusing until the end of her 5yo year, at least.
    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Yeah, I know that it varies from horse to horse and I haven't done a lot of research on the topic, but I knew that three was too young. I want to take it slow and see what cameos up. I'll probably start cross rails next year because they help the horse with canter transitions and aren't much more stress than a canter departure on joints. It will be several years before we do any serious jumping. Thanks for the input!
    Lesmiz_07

Neck comes out of shoulder ok, typical dip in front of wither but that is often improved with correct riding.
    The shoulder is good, long elbow to shoulder point, should be able to lift front legs well.
    Long forearm and large enough knee, cannons seem clean from what I can see.
    I am not crazy about the angle of her front hooves but I often see this on racers, likely different trimming will help.

She has a long back, her LS joint is set back more than I like, this will predispose her to a weak loin. You can work to strengthen this area but weakness here is often what leads to hunter/jumpers bump.
    She appears to have an overall weaker hind end, she lacks the lower muscling I like to see(even keeping in mind her young age) needed to propel horse and rider over jumps.

That said careful and slow conditioning go a long way to keeping a horse sound.

with her near rear leg ahead it is a bit hard to see the angle of her stifle but it appears fine, her hock may be a bit smallish, she may toe out slightly but I don't fault that as long as the leg, looking from the rear, is aligned.

She appears to have a pleasant expression and is interested without being nervous. Both excellent qualities.

I don't know conformation if it bit me in the behind, but I can tell you that the picture you have is her in racing form. That means little because her shape will change as you train her. Go see her, give her a ride and find out how she does on trails. Some TBs don't find trails relaxing.

Have fun.
    Paula

I have an elderly gelding with much the same shape. He stayed sound racing for 8 years, then stayed sound another 10 years while learning to jump, etc. He had/has a lot of spring at the trot. He is long-backed (which this girl looks to be, judging from where her sacrum appears to be), so I had to be on a regular equine chiropractic schedule. It made him hard to collect, but very scopey. I like her cannon bones--it looks like she's got plenty of bone and clean tendons, from what I can see. I'd want to watch the left front as it looks like she has less heel on hoof. She has a lovely long neck and pretty face, and I like her shoulder. Definitely ride her and see what you think--as long as you're not aiming for the 4 foot, I bet she could be a nice 3 foot horse

Quote Originally Posted by Czar View Post

I buy lots of OTTB's - if I like the horse, I like the horse & could care less if he/she has long cannons or a less than perfect slope to the shoulder.
    My favorite comment yet

That's a terrible picture but it doesn't really matter anyway - see her, try her and then decide. I hope it goes well!

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Some TBs don't find trails relaxing. Paula
    Not picking on you but that is a silly statement. Some horses don't find trails relaxing (I have ridden as many warmbloods and ponies that were bad hacks as thbds).

If I had based my decision to purchase my current thbd on his ability to be a good hack fresh off the track I would never have bought him and that would have been a massive error on my part. He is a great hack now. That is usually an easy fix.

OP, she is cute. Do you know her JC name/pedigree?
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

So I tried yer yesterday and she came home with me! She is beautiful, sweet and you can see talent all over her! Her butt isn't near as scrawny in person and I think with proper muscle building, her top line will be really beautiful. I'll try to get some new pics today.
    Lesmiz_07