The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dog Agility?

So I'm thinking if getting into dog agility with my puppy (who is now seven months old) and was just wondering if anyone here has tried it? I would love to hear anyone's experiences! :-)

I love it! I've been taking a starter class with my older dachshund since early fall, and she has a blast. Because she's older and has health issues, we don't do much--only low-level contacts, jumping a pole on the ground, etc.--but it's such a fun mommy-and-me bonding time. If we get a second dog, I'm definitely planning on doing agility classes with him.

The obedience club where I take classes also does an AgilePups class, which is intro to agility for puppies... basic obedience stuff and intro to the obstacles. It looks like a lot of fun. (:

I love it!! I do it with my ACD and it's really improved our bond and his behavior overall. We've been training now for about a year, and we are gearing up for our first event. It's so much fun to have something we both enjoy that we can do together, and it's good for a laugh when I send him over the jumps in the arena while I'm riding lol.

It's great for dogs who need to think, and it really can give you a good basis of trust and communication to build on for other training, like obedience etc.

Here's a video of our first "schooling show" so to speak

http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q...gal984/Eclipse and Oz/?action=view&current=100_0672.mp4

did for a few year with several dogs great fun and real laugh and the dog learns allsort great way to keep them active and obediant

I think there was an old thread on this...anyway- I do, or did, or am starting again?

I competed with my dog for four years until she was injured. Love it, can't wait to start again hoepfully soon. Sure addicting, I started as a once a week thing to do with my dog and ended up competing every weekend!

If you have any questions let me know- some places to check out-

Cleanrun.com

Max200.com

gosh I know there are others but I can't think right now...

I started agility with my standard poodle and he loves it! Its made our bond deeper and hes so much more obedient...his whole face and manner of expression is elevated when he goes to class...I haven't started my young dog yet, but soon! Love it!
    For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com

I started about 2 years ago with my Aussie and love it! My mare had an injury so it took the place of showing her. I gotta say that I sure like the agility show fees way more than horse show fees!!
    In fact we just did a NADAC show today- Unfortunately this show uses flattened cones for numbering the course and they look like frisbees so my guy says "game on" and proceeds to grab them and run around shaking them and flipping them up in the air-even jumped a jump with one in his mouth. At that point I'm trying not to bust out laughing! Of course we were Eliminated but at least we were entertaining! We then had a session of "leave it" in the warm up and he came back in his last class and was perfect. Judge says to to me "Well that was a big turn around" and I reply- "I just asked dog if he wanted to ride home IN the truck or behind it".
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-Hunter S. Thompson

I did it with the last golden retriever I owned, started after she earned her CD. Really, really fun! The last couple of times I have done basic puppy obedience with our current dogs (JRT and Great Dane)- we played with some of the obstacles a bit. Great Dane puppy in the tunnel is quite a hoot!

I've seen a big Dobie pup in tunnel but Great Dane-
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-Hunter S. Thompson

I have one corgi who is actively competing and titled. Her daughter is in training now. We started both of them with Rally after basic obedience as a fun way to get used to working. We have a blast.

I compete in USDAA and the occasional AKC with my Boston Terriers (yes you read that right). They are athletic and bred for performance. I also have a young aussie that will be great when she's ready.

Here's a cute video of Fenway doing AKC Novice Jumpers with Weaves. I was way too conservative and slow in my handling and she got a little mad about it.
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/v...v=579201738015

Agility is a blast. In fact, so much so that I have frequent thoughts of selling the horse and just doing agility. I definitely wouldn't be the first to do that.
    If riding were all blue ribbons and bright lights, I would have quit long ago.
    ~George Morris
    Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2014

I did agility for several years in my teens with my Sheltie, and we had SO much fun.

I cannot WAIT to finish grad school and get a new doggie to pick up the sport with! Haven't decided yet if it'll be another Sheltie or a GSD yet, though...

I really want to do this with my border collie x. Just have to find a location that does it ( ie classes, equipment et al) that is close enough to home to justify the cost to dh. ( gas cost rising ya know)...

COurse I will have to do this with my BCX's pet puppy as well he refuses to go anywhere with out him..
    Friend of bar .ka

Quote Originally Posted by MissCapitalSplash View Post
    I
    Here's a cute video of Fenway doing AKC Novice Jumpers with Weaves. I was way too conservative and slow in my handling and she got a little mad about it.
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/v...v=579201738015
    I can't see the video- privacy settings- but Fenway sounds so familar, I think we might have seen each other at shows before...

Quote Originally Posted by bumknees View Post
    I really want to do this with my border collie x. Just have to find a location that does it ( ie classes, equipment et al) that is close enough to home to justify the cost to dh. ( gas cost rising ya know)...

COurse I will have to do this with my BCX's pet puppy as well he refuses to go anywhere with out him..
    where are you located? If you look on Cleanrun.com they have a section for training facilities by state- although not a complete list definitely a great place to start...