The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pipe Fence Cost / thoughts?

Need to replace an "L" shaped section of fence at the farm. Looking to do pipe fence because every shared/cross fence is getting destroyed by horses leaning and fighting over the fence. I've tried electric and they actually eventually knock the electric wire down! (jerks)

Anyway.. going to do either 3 rail pipe, pipe and cable, or no climb mesh with a pipe top rail. Which will hold up the best without being ridiculously expensive? Ideas on cost per foot, installed?

Also, feel free to PM me if you have a fence 'guy' to recommend in the North Texas / East of Dallas area!
    Standing Nasiriya - 17h JC registered stallion
    http://www.DonovanFarm.com
    Looking to buy or sell Horse Property? Contact me!
    www.TexasEquestrianProperties.com

the best guy to talk to is this one:
    www.gobobpipe.com

Tamara

Quote Originally Posted by IrishWillow View Post
    Anyway.. going to do either 3 rail pipe, pipe and cable, or no climb mesh with a pipe top rail. Which will hold up the best without being ridiculously expensive? Ideas on cost per foot, installed?

Also, feel free to PM me if you have a fence 'guy' to recommend in the North Texas / East of Dallas area!
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Sent you a pm....
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

You should also get a bid on setting pipe or wood posts and the cheaper but still very good panels up.
    With the panels, you can change that as you need and it is as horse safe as it can be.

Now, no one uses cable around horses, even feedlots that have cheap cable around know cable causes severe injuries to horses, so all horse pens are pipe or panels.

The pipe and v-mesh type fences are the gold standard for breeding farms any place.
    The advantage, you won't only keep your horses in, even with horses across the fence, but other critters like stray dogs out, if you are fenced with it all around.

I would get bids from different fence builders and then decide what you prefer.

Gobobpipe is a good place to ask for referrals for someone in your area.

While I agree with Bluey that cable can and does cause bad injuries in horses, in north Texas there TONS of high dollar horse farms that have it. After experiencing a bad injury with cable, I would definitely go with no climb. Though, the suggestion of investigating panels is a good one as well.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

What is the weather in your area?

I know two people who bought big farms with pipe fencing. Great to keep horses apart and almost indestructible BUT!

THey lost several horses to lightening strikes!! Horse does not need to be touching it either.

One barn had it rotting near pine trees. The acid? Then rotted edges were a big problem as far as a cutting surface.

There is a kind of heavy horse panel that sort of looks like welded wire but is much heavier. Know more than a few people replacing their fences with that.