The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Attaching wire fence to posts

What is the right tool for the job? My posts have cured, and I'm going to get the wire stapled on this weekend. It will be 4 board fence and the boards will help secure the wire as well, but we need to get the dogs secure right away. We'll get the boards up over the next few weeks. In theory, the dogs won't be near the wire, because they require invisible fence and a boundry fence to keep them from hunting.

Thanks!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    \"Let the civilized world go to the devil! Long live nature, forests, and ancient poetry.\" --Theodore Rousseau

They make "fence staples" that, to the best of my knowledge, are the ONLY tool for the job unless I'm misunderstanding your question.

I'm not sure that you can find them at a place like Home Depot/Lowes/etc, but any farmer's supply or even a hardware store in a farm-y area should have them. They look just like big, thick, giant staples, and you hammer them in, "stapling" the fence to the post. They come in different lengths, depending on what exactly you need.

Thanks, headed to TSC. I was hoping it came in air compressed staple versions Dragging out the hammer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    \"Let the civilized world go to the devil! Long live nature, forests, and ancient poetry.\" --Theodore Rousseau

The ones I've seen used look like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Prime-Source-1.../dp/B00467CDXA
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Tom King gave a good tip in a different thread -- take the time to tap the U-shaped staples closer to parallel, so they'll go in straight rather than trying to spread too much.

What kind of wire is it? You may need fencing pliers to unlock the knots and something to stretch it with.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

It's the green vinyl welded wire. Like this
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/fencing...50-ft--3627186
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by sdfarm View Post
    Thanks, headed to TSC. I was hoping it came in air compressed staple versions Dragging out the hammer
    There is ONE pneumatic fence stapler put out by a company in New Zealand, but I can't seem to find it here in the US. Plenty of nailers, of course, but that's not what you need.

Edit to add: It's not that hard to hammer them in, promise. I've hammered staples into both cured oak and black locust, with fairly minimal effort. It IS helpful if you have a partner with you to hold the fence taught while you hammer, however. Otherwise you're there, holding it with a knee/foot combo, staple in one hand, hammer in the other, in a very precarious position!

I've not used one, but it exists. http://www.wirefencestapler.com/