The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Agility anyone?

Do you compete your dog (s) in agility? Any fun stories you can tell? Where did you get your equipment or do you have pictures of equipment you've made?

My dog and I have been taking some lessons over the winter and he loves it...went to a trial this weekend and I'm looking forward to competing him soon...his little sister isn't ready yet and I don't think she will be very fast, but I just love the look of eagerness on my dogs face when he starts working!

Dennis and I are going to start in a few weeks, I'm looking forward to it, and hope he does well!!

I tried it and really liked it. Unfortunetly, my dog is a 'hunt horse' not a jumper/dressage horse. He LOVES to jump huge solid jumps, like a 3'x3' hay bale jump, a door turned sideways, etc. Individually he likes all the obstacles, but courses just shut him down.

I competed with my dog until she tore her ACL, now I am trying to decide if I should compete again or retire her. She is just a few classes shy of her C-ATCH-in CPE and has completed her AD in USDAA. We went to CPE nationals for 3 years, so much fun!

Some sites to check out:

Cleanrun.com
    MAX200

I bought jumps off Ebay- they work just fine, I also love the pack and carry jump from Clean run. I don't have contacts, just don't have the space for them. I love agility! Lots of horse folks, and converted horse folks in agility.

I competed in agility with my border collie years ago. We had a blast but I actually had a slow border collie! We got some titles but stopped because I found it too expensive & did more flyball. I also don't think he enjoyed it as much as flyball. I did a class with another border collie but I didn't see us doing it beyond the beginner class. I am now doing it with my youngest border collie. He is a blast at 18 months old. So full of energy & love of working it is amazing. He too does flyball & has the same love of working there. We can't compete yet as I am not sure if I have enough control.
    "Marty, Quarter Horse Extraordinaire, Most Pleasant Packer, Companion To The End. May his suffering be little, his passing be easy and may we find each other again, drawn by love and kindred spirit."

I've been taking an agility class with my dachshund, and she loves it. She's 10 and has some old hip and back problems, so we only do modified, low things... she jumps a pole on the ground or jumps hoops, only does the lowest setting on teeter or A-frame, etc., but she has a blast. She jumps through a hoop as though it's a full-size spread jump. (: We might do some NADAC hoopers or tunnels or touch-and-go sometime, just for fun, even though I highly doubt she'll make time... she has to stop after every other obstacle so that she can bounce up and down, yelling at me for not giving her a treat yet!

Another woman from my barn brings her dachshund to the advanced class, and that dog is a superstar--she goes flying through the course!