The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does the horse HAVE to be recorded to show at A shows?

I suspect I already know the answer, but just checking for sure. I am quite financially unendowed, but would like to show my pretty fancy, homebred hunter at a couple A shows this year, so I need to do it on the ultimate cheap(relatively speaking!). I know you have to pony up and join both the USEF and HJA or pay the non-member fee and since I'd also need an Amateur card, I may as well suck it up and come up with the $ for that, even though year end points are not an issue. It is $75 a year to record the horse. Do I HAVE to do that, as well, even though we are not expecting to accumulate points, so it is another huge waste of money?

For USEF, you can get a Horse ID number for free and use that as long as you are not competing for money. If you are doing $$ classes, the horse has to have a life-membership for $200, or the annual recording.

USHJA, you may as well buck up and pay it. By the time you pay the non-member fee, you are half way there. I thought it was $45? Is it $75 now?

Quote Originally Posted by Lkramer View Post
    If you are doing $$ classes, the horse has to have a life-membership for $200, or the annual recording.
    Is that a recent rule change? Could you please point out where it says that in the rule book?

The two memberships are $55 each. Horse recording is $75. Non-member fees are $30 each ($60) per show and the Amateur card is $30 for non-members.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I don't think horse registrations are free anymore. There is a one time $30 registration fee to get a number:

http://www.ushja.org/content/membership/faq.aspx

From the USHJA site:

Do I need to record my horse with USHJA?

Yes. All horses competing in United States Equestrian Federation non-breed restricted licensed competitions with Hunter, Hunter Breeding, Jumper and Hunter Seat Equitation classes (except those activities enumerated in GR901.9, items 1-9) must be properly identified and must obtain a registration number from USHJA. A registration number for each horse must be entered on all entry forms for USEF licensed competitions. Only one registration number will be issued per horse and must remain with the horse throughout its career.

In order to compete at a USEF licensed hunter, jumper or hunter/jumper competition, every horse must be registered with the USHJA for a one-time fee of $30.00.
    Members will still have the option of recording their horses either annually or with a lifetime recording with the USEF if they are interested in accruing points for HOTY, Zone and Stirrup Cup awards and to accrue points on the USEF Computer Ranking List.
    Each horse will be assigned a USHJA Registration number and anytime you choose to obtain a USEF horse recording, the same number will be used.
    If a horse currently has a USEF Horse ID number, upon payment of the $30 registration fee to USHJA, that number will become their USHJA Horse Registration Number.
    Members who choose to annually record their horses with the USEF will need to obtain a USHJA Registry number, which will be the same as their current horse recording number.
    Exhibitors only competing in USEF Local competitions will be exempt for the Horse Registration Fee, as are the following groups outlined in GR901.9 items 1-9:
    1) leadline; 2) exhibitions; 3) games and races; 4)classes for 4-H members; 5) walk trot and academy classes (academy classes are classes limited to horses used regularly in a lesson program); 6) USDF introductory level tests, pas de deux and quadrille classes; 7) NRHA Endorsed Reining Competitions. 8) Opportunity classes, 9) citizens of other nations who have proof, in English, of current membership in good standing of their own National Federation.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

^That was my understanding. The horse needs the ID number to show, which is no longer free, but that fee is separate from the recording fee you must pay to accrue points. If you're not interested in points, you can just pay the lower one-time fee for the ID number registration.

AT A DESK!!!!!!!!! in the best town in the world - BLACKSBURG!

You have to pay the one time $30 USHJA fee, and if it's the first time the horse as been "registered" with the USEF/USHJA then you automatically get a HID with the USEF. There is no fee to the USEF for the HID. Several years ago, it was $10 for the HID, but that's not the case now.
    "It's not always rainbows and butterflies, it's compromise that moves us along"
    Maroon5

Yes. Basically, $30 one time if you don't care about points, and $75/year or $200/lifetime if you do care about points.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Is that a recent rule change? Could you please point out where it says that in the rule book?
    In the past you needed a recording to show in jumper classes with prize money over a certain amount. Might have been $2000.
    I'm not sure that rule exists anymore. It was expensive for a trainer to need to record most of their jumpers so there was a lot of complaining.
    I do not recall there ever being a requirement for Hunters to record to show in a class with money.