The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spirig Saddles

How popular are they? Do they have resale value? Anyone ride in one?

Funny you should post this. I had never heard of them and then rode in one last weekend. I liked it.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

My upper-level friend has one, loved it until it didn't fit her new horse. It's for sale....
    Wish I could offer more facts about Spirigs. I think they do have high resale value.

Very nice saddles if they work for your horse. The panels are thin- very close contact. There isn't a ton of room to play with flocking, so the shape has to be spot on for it to work.

My friend has one that I borrowed until I got my present saddle. It is not a deep seat but it was a nice saddle to ride in. You have to make sure that you have a saddle fitter who will work with Spirig in close proximity to you, there is not one close-by here so getting it fitted would have been a problem.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

Spirig saddles irrc tend to fit short backed horses well, they usually have short upswept panels.

Also, iirc, there are two Spirigs, brothers (or related somehow) that both have a line of "Spirig" saddles, very similar in appearance too. When I was shopping spirig saddles a few years ago I remember I kept getting confused between the two. To my knowledge, both are very nice saddles, but one commands a higher price point for some reason. I really don't know why. The one that is in a higher price bracket also tends to be brown leather more often than black, again if I recall correctly.

I ended up with a Kieth Bryan Santis instead of a Spirig and I was over the moon with it. One of the nicest saddles ever ever ever, and I kick myself for selling it as I found out the tree is adjustable after I sold it.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

I have 3-
    Dressage used on a 13.0 Cob.
    Jumping 16" to small for me and daughter not there yet but had to buy bc of price.
    An older what would be considered their all-purpose used for both flat/jumping.

They are very nice high end saddles, unfortunately not high resale value in the USA just because of lack of being a well known brand.

Fit most horses in barn Ok, but only 2 out of 12 Great.

Default love my Spirig

Quote Originally Posted by buck22 View Post
    Spirig saddles irrc tend to fit short backed horses well, they usually have short upswept panels.
    this is correct. I have a used Spirig dressage (2002) that I bought from my trainer and have used it on my 1st horse (15hh short backed Haffie, not terribly wide - my 32cm Stubben saddle fit him too) and new horse, Scout the Fab Fjord - 14.3ish, slightly more wither, short back, a bit less round than the Haffie.

Had it fit (minor flock adjustment) each time by Colin Kimball-Davis. Any good saddle fitter can help you assess fit and adjust flocking as needed. They are less deep than many saddles, which I prefer. very well made. Mine is brown, but it is very dark. Would have prefered black, but price was right!
    Last edited by saabski; Mar. 11, 2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: add info - dreassge saddle!