The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dog fencing kits (or Kennels) - not wireless

Now that I have a pack of doggies thanks to the last one that showed up a few days ago, I need a real fence.

I'd like wire mesh or something simiar, but I want to fence in my whole yard for the dogs and that is more than 1 acre. I don't want to spend $$$, but need it to look nice.

Any suggestions?

ETA: I already have the petsafe wireless installed which works for one dog but not appropriate for another.
    Last edited by Serigraph; Feb. 20, 2011 at 04:22 PM.

If you don't want to spend $$$$ I think you can do it, but you're going to have to spend $$$. If $$$ is really a problem, a run may be your best option.

We fenced our yard for $$$ with re-used goat wire and polls actually cut down by the neighbour on his own property. Our backyard is a small 1/4 acre or so. Hubby put in a LOT of sweat equity where we couldn't get the tractor and the post-hole digger to go. Everyone has commented it's actually quite nice as it matches a very old house and the rural surroundings .
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

any pics?

I could fence less than the whole yard, but I like to ride in there too.

This has been an issue since we moved in a few years ago, but for the most part our dogs are inside, so that is why I didn't want to bite the big money bullet for the fencing.

I need something for two dogs really that can go in and get some exercise and do their duties.

Does anyone have kennel ideas that are large enough for two dogs to play in? And will the dogs do their business in there?

Pretty puppies not included.

http://i55.tinypic.com/25fmuex.jpg
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Quote Originally Posted by Nes View Post
    If you don't want to spend $$$$ I think you can do it, but you're going to have to spend $$$. If $$$ is really a problem, a run may be your best option.

We fenced our yard for $$$ with re-used goat wire and polls actually cut down by the neighbour on his own property. Our backyard is a small 1/4 acre or so. Hubby put in a LOT of sweat equity where we couldn't get the tractor and the post-hole digger to go. Everyone has commented it's actually quite nice as it matches a very old house and the rural surroundings .
    I was just going to suggest looking into livestock wire or even chicken wire if your dogs aren't going to be trying to gnaw their way out. I made a chicken wire run for my ducks and it looked quite nice, provided I made sure that the wire was tight. The chicken wire is thin, so you're not obstructing any views by staring at a fence.

The 100' roll of 4' high chicken wire I wanna say was around $40? Maybe a little more? (It's hard for me to judge sometimes because I belong to a co-op and therefore get the lower prices..) Soooo....it could get pricey, but not as pricey as putting in a wood or chain link fence.

Default Field fence for larger dogs - Welded wire for smaller dogs

I was also going to suggst the field/farm fence if the dogs are larger. If they are smaller I would use the welded wire (smaller openings like no climb but a whole lot cheaper). I did the sides and back of mine with the field fence and then put the welded wire on wood posts and a wood top rail across the front becuase it looks much nicer.

Field fence here runs about $150 for 330' and the welded wire it about $40 for 100'. You can attach either to t-post (capped please even for dogs in case they jump up) with wood posts about every 50 feet and in the corners. The bonus with the welded wire is you don't have to stretch it like the field fence.

ETA: For the gates I used regular tube gates (drive entrance is 24' wide) and zip tied welded wire over them. Much cheaper than getting the gates with the mesh welded on or chain link gates.
    Last edited by pupakin; Feb. 20, 2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Additional info

We used the welded wire cattle panels as well, with t-posts and a welded wire roof because Rover was climbing on top of the dogloo and getting enough height to go over the 6' chainlink. They come 12' in length and the pen is about 18'x6', DH used four and bent two for the short sides and then made some cover on the top out of whatever bits and pieces. It is just adequate for one dog, he does his duty in one corner. I'm afraid if you want a nice dog proof bigger area you'll have to spend the $$ or get creative with reused items, but field fence with t-posts will work for a bigger dog.

BTW, those are nice looking dogs Nes!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible