The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I'm so ashamed.

I never in a million years thought I would be saying this. It's so embarrassing that I had to create an alter.

I love the Twilight series.

Yes, the stupid books about vampires and werewolves. I started reading an excerpt, just to see what the fuss was about and laugh about how bad it is.

I bought all four books and read them for four days straight. Then I went to the author's website and read the extras and outtakes and the 264 page PDF that is Edward's version of Twilight.

What is wrong with me? Please tell me I am not alone, I can't bear the shame.

Well that all depends on how old you are

I will join in your shame. And I'm much to old to be the desired demographic...

I love them all. And I am not ashamed

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

I have yet to meet a woman who did not become addicted to them. It feeds on many of our adolescent fantasies. It feeds the need to be desired. To be found desireable. To be something many people admire. To being found to have humility and to be able to be soft at times and have that not be weakness, but rather something attractive. Watch it. Don't get addicted! It's not reality!

BTW, I think that if she'd had half a brain she would have stuck with Jacob.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I did the exact same thing... reading to be skeptical and mock it, and then ending up buying all four, reading them all at once, and turning to the PDF of "Midnight Sun" and all the rest of the stuff online. They are kinda addictive.

And I'm an English teacher with an MFA in writing! I'm supposed to be too literary for this...

I read Midnight Sun, too. That was actually kind of fun. It made Edward seem like less of a stalker.

Also seeing the guys perspective is really interesting. I like her idea of seeing the first book, and all it's situations, from both sides.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I read Twilight before most people had ever heard of it and I'm SOOOO happy I did. I hate feeding into the hype (which is why I have yet to pick up a Harry Potter book).

I would have really missed out if I had skipped the Twilight series because of that. I seem to read through the entire series, take a break for a few months and read something else (like Nicholas Sparks), and then start all over again. I just finished Twilight for the nth time, followed immediately by watching the movie, just to pick up on all the more subtle differences. Going to do the same with New Moon and Eclipse, and the Short Second Life of Bree Tanner.

Yes....it is an obsession.

I can't wait for her to finish writting Midnight Sun.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

My roommate is obsessed.

I cannot bring myself to take glittering vampires seriously.
    Yet somehow, I still have seen every single movie. Without the roommate present. Without fail.

Maybe we should start a group. TA. Twilightaholics Anonymous.
    You're trying to do something normal people wouldn't do because they're terrified they might fail. -Boyd Martin

I read it before it became all the hype (well before they became movies) as well and yes I love the series. Not even using an alter to admit it It's just plain good, creative writing. Never knew there was a Midnight Sun though...s'pose I might have to look into that... I'm not obsessed about it though, just plain enjoy it
    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by twalter View Post
    I never in a million years thought I would be saying this. It's so embarrassing that I had to create an alter.

I love the Twilight series.

Yes, the stupid books about vampires and werewolves. I started reading an excerpt, just to see what the fuss was about and laugh about how bad it is.

I bought all four books and read them for four days straight. Then I went to the author's website and read the extras and outtakes and the 264 page PDF that is Edward's version of Twilight.

What is wrong with me? Please tell me I am not alone, I can't bear the shame.
    OH MY GAWD!!!!

/runs and hides, shuddering in terror....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I see nothing wrong with liking Twilight! Of course, I'm barely "legal" so that may have something to do with it.

Some of the writing isn't the best, and sure it's "cheesy" but oh so much fun! I'm Team Jacob...I feel no shame in admiting it either!
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Default No harm enjoying something!

Okay, so it's not intellectually challenging, so what
    I didn't read the books but I loff the movies.

I made it through maybe three chapters of the first book. The worst thing I have ever tried reading. Maybe there is something wrong with me?

I will admit that I really liked all of the books and Midnight Sun. They are just a fun, easy read. I was also in Nursing school when I read them, so I needed some brainless fluff to detox myself : )
    Lapeer ... a small drinking town with a farming problem.
    Proud Closet Canterer!

My daughter started reading them when they were all the rage amongst the tween set. I read them to see if they were appropriate and because I have to do something while she's at dance practice. It's too far to go home. I'm not obsessed but they were ok to pass the time. I admit I wanted to slap Bella in the second book for moping around over Edward so much. But I used that to talk to my daughter about relationships and how it's not healthy to become so obsessed with a boy. We've seen all the movies and IMO, they were way worse than the books. I don't think Robert Pattinson and that girl who plays Bella, Kristen something, can act their way out of a paper bag. But my daughter and her friends enjoyed them.

Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    My daughter started reading them when they were all the rage amongst the tween set. I read them to see if they were appropriate and because I have to do something while she's at dance practice. It's too far to go home. I'm not obsessed but they were ok to pass the time. I admit I wanted to slap Bella in the second book for moping around over Edward so much. But I used that to talk to my daughter about relationships and how it's not healthy to become so obsessed with a boy. We've seen all the movies and IMO, they were way worse than the books. I don't think Robert Pattinson and that girl who plays Bella, Kristen something, can act their way out of a paper bag. But my daughter and her friends enjoyed them.

LOL, you have at least a valid excuse for reading them!
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Agreed. I think the movies are horrible. And acting? What acting?
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Love the "Twalter"!

I, too, am waaay to old to have read those books but I became quickly addicted. She had me right up until that last book, then I kind of went off, I have to admit.

Thought the books were better than the movies. But maybe that's because Kristen Stewart just bugs me.

Quote Originally Posted by JLD View Post
    Love the "Twalter"!

I, too, am waaay to old to have read those books but I became quickly addicted. She had me right up until that last book, then I kind of went off, I have to admit.

Thought the books were better than the movies. But maybe that's because Kristen Stewart just bugs me.
    Books are almost always better.
    (oh snap, the twilight books didn't improve with filing? )