The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pelleted bedding used on ice

I accidently dumped a half bag of pelleted bedding and threw it over my icy spots.It's amazing on that thick ice that won't melt! It doesn't melt it but provides total traction when it breaks up.It's been out there for days and is holding up great!Wow!

LOL, that's how I found out that pelleted bedding works great on ice too!

A couple years or so ago I was bringing a bag of it into the barn and slipped on the ice and dropped the bag. It split and went everywhere, I was so pissed!
    However within an hour that ice I slipped on was no longer a problem.
    It does hold up well and lasts a good long time. Plus when the ice melts, the bedding breaks down fast and is gone. I now keep a bag or two in my garage for icy spots around the house. A scoop of dry pellets right on the ice works great.

Another ice trick is to spritz ice with a little water and toss old hay or straw on it. It freezes to the ice and creates a safe surface to walk on. Plus it's funny watching the horses trying to graze on it. (which still leaves enough hay to walk on)
    Or you can spritz the hay with water...one of them has to be damp so hay freezes to the ice.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I kept a bag of it in the trunk of my car all winter/spring when I lived back east. I had slid in slush/mud right off the barn drive and got completely stuck. Since I was by myself I struggled for about an hour trying to get unstuck only- of course- making it worse. So I ran to the barn and grabbed a bag of pellets and split the bag by the front wheels. Got me out right away. I ended up using pellets a couple more times

We also used it by the paddock gates when they got too icy.

Default WHO KNEW ? Thanks for the ice tips ~

Who knew ??

Thanks for the ice tips !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Ditto that - "who knew"? Wow!

We use the Canadian Pine, extra fine shavings. Do not use them on ice - they will turn your slippery ice into super ultra slippery ice! (Ask me how I know ) If we accidently spill any when taking the wheelbarrow out we quickly sweep them up before somebody goes *head over heels* trying to walk on them - they are THAT bad!

We don't use pelleted bedding but I think I'll pick some up tomorrow to use on this crazy thick ice that is everywhere around here. Is there a certain kind that is better than others?

And if I put it on the gravel driveway will it disintegrate eventually or will I be left with a slurppy mess when the ice finally melts and goes away?

I use Woody Pet but for ice control I'd think any pellet would work fine.
    Even on frozen solid ice in below freezing temps...the pellets sitting on top of the ice still suck moisture out of it. Enough to expand a bit *and* freeze itself to the ice. Which leaves a cushiony non-slip surface to walk on. That doesn't ice over on top. It doesn't melt the ice, just draws some moisture out of it.

No, it won't leave a slushy mess in your driveway. At least not for long. Pellets break down and disappear *fast.* I use them for bedding and my manure pile is the same size it was our first year here 7 years ago now. And when I use it on ice...when everything melts it's not long before the pellets just disappear as they break down.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Great thread! I can't wait to try this out on all the icy spots tomorrow.

This weather is the pits.

Thanks for the tip!!!

I was worried about using salt on the grassy areas-now I have the perfect solution!

Great! Thanks for the info. MistyBlue.

I'm getting some pelleted bedding today. DH brought home another 800 lbs. of salt last night - and it's doing *it's thing* but it's still slippery as he!! out there. Plus we don't use salt near any grass areas so the pellets should be perfect. It sure will be nice to be able to walk again .

Again, thanks so much for the tips!

If you are just buying a few bags to throw on the ice you may want to get the Wood pellets for stoves at your local Home Depot or Lowe's. Supposedly the same stuff, but much cheaper. A lot of people use it for bedding too, but there is no guarantee that there isn't Black Walnut in the stuff sold for stoves.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Very timely hint for me!

After getting 2-3" of snow dumped on us last week, & subzero deepfreeze temps this week, the weekend is forecast to hit 40!

All that snow will start ot melt then refreeze....
    Pellets could come in very handy
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Years ago, I would put stall waste on the icy pathways. Unfortunately, in the spring it would turn to a mucky area. That was ok, since it was 'pasture' area.

I have areas that are inorganic, meaning that I have brought in stonedust or bank run to make it less mucky/muddy areas.

I can't help but think if I add wood pellets to this, that these areas would turn to muck/mud as well. I paid dearly and keep these areas, which I call my sacrafice paddocks clean of poop and kept as inorganic as possible, preserving my investment in stone/bank run.

Are you saying that the pellets would disappear and not add organic matter to these areas which I try and keep as dry as possible and free from mud?

currently, I add sand if I need grip in these areas. sand being another source of 'inorganic'. I consider a wood pellet as being organic.
    Just looking for some feedback, although I would be hard pressed to put wood pellets on an area I have tried to maintain as stonedust or in my driveway, which is bank run or crush.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Great idea. Thanks.