The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Pelleted bedding - How to keep fresh in an In and Out stall???

I recently started rough board and are using Pelleted Bedding.

My mare has an In and Out stall, but because of all the snow/rain, she is dragging the wetness in the stall and it looks damp and dark.

I put in a new bag yesterday, (I don't wet them down) and it really didn't make much of a difference.

Any tips to keep it from getting like this? Add shavings?

Thanks!

It gets nasty right quick, doesn't it. And at least in my barn it compacts and then it's a real bear to muck.

Mixing it with shavings seems to work better. You get some loft to it and the air getting to it seems to keep it from weighing down and compacting as much. At my place, anyway.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

My horse goes in and out at will, unless weather determines she stays in. I sometimes use a few bags of pellets under a layer of shavings. I've also found that leaving a few feet inside the doorway bare reduces the amount of bedding dragged out.

Where I board (for only a couple more weeks), they use pelleted bedding that I hate. I have 2 horses in in/out stalls and one in a regular box stall with no in/out. I have to say, the bedding sucks equally in the regular box stall as it does in the in/out.

I use a mix of pelleted bedding and shavings in my horses' stalls. They have box stalls with dutch doors and 24/7 access to their stall or paddock. I like the pellets because they don't get soggy as quickly as shavings do, and they tend to prevent a bit of the drifting from the light shavings.

I don't bed any heavier than necessary, since they are rarely in their stalls and just make the bedding icky anyway from being in & out. If I want to put more bedding in, I bank a lot around the sides and keep the middle thinner. I also sweep back the bedding several feet from the outside door so it takes a little longer for them to drag the bedding out. I sweep back a couple times a day.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

I don't think it matters if you use pellets or shavings, when the horse is in and out and it is yukky outside, the stalls get messier quicker.

I have in/out stalls at home and use pellets, but I'm lucky in that I have a matted overhang just outside the stall (so that keeps some of the muck out), then my paddocks that are attached are now mud-free (hoof-grid and pea gravel). We also put in a kick board -- a 2"x6" as a sill at the bottom of the doorway that has helped somewhat to keep the pellets in and the rock out.

Really, unless you can control the muck that is tracked in, there isn't much you can do. I used to let my horses still have the stalls/overhang/runs when they were out in the pasture too (so they could come in and get away from flies or rain or whatever), but now I don't as they just track the mud from the pasture in and out. Now they go out in the pasture and stay there while turned out, then come in and get legs cleaned up, hooves cleaned, and have the dry paddocks and stalls. More work, but it keeps the muck out, so it is worth it.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I have a similar set-up to Horsepoor. I keep my bedding swept to the center of the stalls, which helps a bit. I also have a bit of a lip between the stall and my overhang, which is partially matted (by each door). I find that keeping the bedding in the center of the stall cuts down on the tracking back and forth. I have no bedding under the buckets in the front or the hay and door in the back of the stall.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Mine are all in and out at will, and the wet certainly makes pellets less bright and fluffy. OTOH, they don't get as dusty when there is a little wetness.

Try mixing with shavings, or just sweep an area in front of the door clean of bedding every day.
    Click here before you buy.

I used to be at a co-op barn like this. We had a 6x6 across the doorways, so that they'd pick UP their feet when going in/out, which prevented a lot of mixing. Made for a pain to clean the runs, though.

Agree with pintosrock...use some sort of kickboard they have to step over a bit. It keeps them from dragging excess wet in and bedding out.

Even better if you can remove all mud and puddles from in front of the stall and add some packed stonedust. Kind of an equine doormat.

You can use a piece of wood or rubber edging bricks. Or they even have rolls of rubber edging that taps into the ground...easy on their feet and stays in place and it's pretty cheap.

Also keep the bedding swept back from the stall doorway.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

In addition to the suggestions above, you might also want to try different brands of pellets, if you can. There seem to be pretty big disparities in quality between brands.
    Proud member of the EDRF

Not all pellet brands are created equal. Some I really, really hate. I use EquineFresh, if I can't get that, I use Southern States brand.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I use pellets and mix in fluffy shavings. Works for the most part, but the right in front of the door is always a bit darker. Doesn't help that it's either mud, ice, or snow. I think it will be quite a while until dryer ground is the norm!

Thanks guys... I'll try putting in a bag of shavings.

She has a kick board in the doorway. It's just the dampness from all the darn snow that she is bringing in on her hooves. Now if I could only teach her to wipe her feet before she comes in, that might be the solution....hmmmm

If you need to keep the stall thickly bedded, you could try a layer of straw over a thin (one inch) layer of pellets (as long as the horse does not eat the straw).

I use straw in run-ins all the time and it does not seem to drag around as easy.

Putting a layer of pellets under straw helps keep the straw cleaner longer.

In cases where the horses are kept in their stalls during part of the day, I'll bank up the stalls while they are going in and out, and pull down the banks when it's time to keep them in.