The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trailer "conversion" for small Living Quarters?

Has anyone done a conversion of the dressing area in their trailer to make it usable to sleep in? I know it would need insulation, A/C, etc. But has anyone had any good luck with this type of conversion? I have a 3-horse slant gooseneck that I'd like to sleep in. I tried it once as is, and even in the middle of summer froze my tail off with the metal on the gooseneck section. Even with an air mattress.

I've seen companies advertised that do this. Does anyone know the approximate cost? I wouldn't be able to fit a bathroom or anything, but would like to sleep compfortably, etc.

we have a super simple conversion from JBJ Conversions out of Conyers, GA. Ours has a 4' short wall so there's a bench seat against the 'front' wall, and that holds a 30 gallon water tank. The long wall is a counter top with cabinets below and some 2 overhead cabinets above and a shelf for a microwave. There's a tiny sink in that tight corner by that slant wall and a cowboy shower in the first stall. The walls and ceiling are insulated and lined with paneling. It has a roof A/C unit and a few plugs and one DC plug. You should check out their website for ideas.

FWIW airmattresses are just dang cold. We use one, but it is topped with a thick eggcrate mattress topper. That may do the trick for you. I have considered a futon mattress but so far I'm happy with my good airmattress so long as I have my eggcrate on it, too.

Ours is a 2004, we bought it new and have made some small changes over time: added reading lights up in the nose, added a 4 outlet plug under the cabinet, to plug in stuff...added some task lighting, and we couldn't do it w/o our awning. I use the walk through door to the first stall a lot- I keep a camp potty in that stall (six bucks, kitty litter, done). and use a rubber maid rectangular 'tub' for a shower pan...not a huge deal to dump that grey water before we leave a camp. I love my tiny trailer. Sometimes I've longed for a sofa to stretch out on, and only I or my DH can get dressed at a time LOL but really, I wouldn't want to haul anything any longer than what I have already.

We have a Featherlite 4H, GN. It came with a finished dressing room and unfinished mid-tack. We had a local shop remove the wall between the DR and tack area, relocate the door to the wall into the horse box, and install a very basic "weekender" package. We have a fridge, microwave, "bar sink," A/C, and hot water. We have an Incinolet (electro-evaporative toilet) and a "cowboy" shower in the horse box. A local matress company made a custom matress for the gooseneck. There's a 40 gal. fresh water tank under the gooseneck. It is insulated and completely adequate for our use. A similar "factory" LQ would have been several thousand more than we invested.

So, yes, it can be done and the cost will be dependant on how plush and posh you want the final product to be!!!

If you have some DIY skill you can do much of the work yourself. That, too, will make a big difference in cost.

If you're really interested then "spec out" the basics and shop the project around to local shops/converters. That will give you real numbers where you live.

Good luck in the project.

G.

go to the horse trailer forum on horsetrailerworld.com

There is a ton of good information. We have started on ours but it has come to a screeching halt until we get our house sold.

Great info, everyone. Thanks. And I'll check out the forum. Good idea.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I 2nd Katarine's suggestion about the foam mattress topper.

I am a wuss, need a warm place to sleep.
    I was totally cozy in my un-insulated GN DR with a foam mattress topper, flannel sheets and a sleeping bag over a vellux blanket in late October.

(P.S. - I also used the COTH "portapotty" suggestion of a 5gal bucket with trashcan liner & kitty litter for that latenight bladder call - TMI?)
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I've used the horsetrailerworld forums for help in insulating, paneling, and putting in cabinets. It has been a big project but I've had fun.

We had our 6' short wall Hart trailer converted (I didn't want a bathroom as I only stay in it during the day to nap and cool down/warm up) with everything except a shower and toilet. We had top-of-the-line everything and it's beautiful, but it cost us $12K all in. To have a bare-bones conversion it will cost you at least $7K to have it done right by a certified establishment. I hope this gives you an idea.