The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hello, any Morgan dressage riders/Morgan

sport horse owners in this forum? I am new to the online Chronicle. I'm a dressage rider who owns, shows and breeds a Morgan horse. Seeking same!

I am not a Morgan owner but I love them. I rode at UConn and that's all we had. They have the best brains and try so hard to do what you want. They're hardy and pretty too. Good luck with yours!

Mine's rehabbing from a suspensory surgery and has a mixed prognosis at best, but I am a Morgan fan all the way... I bought her for eventing, but neither she nor I can jump anymore. She's a very intense, smart horse, with a lot of spice, like a lot of Morgans. Not a great choice for a first horse, in retrospect, but I'll be crushed if I have to retire her.

She has schooled Second and competed at First, before I bought her, and is a fiend for lateral work. We'd just done training level before her lameness cropped up, with some, um, adventures along the way. We were actually on a break from dressage when it happened, just over a year ago. She had surgery in March and I've been riding her since October, only walk and trot and we have just started doing turns at the trot, trotting all the way around the indoor etc.

Her name is Mythic Feronia, and she's turning 13 this year. And she's beautiful, and did I say beautiful?

Hollyhobbies: I noted that your mare is a Justawee horse. I looked there, back when I was looking in 2008, and actually found a mare I loved (not bred by J), but she got sold before I had a chance to have my horse-expert friend look at her. I really liked that farm and its people, though.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Trudy Northcott from B.C. rode Beaux Heir to GP (many years ago now), but they can do it.

Pretty mare Ann! How fun is a colored morgan!?

There was a GORGEOUS black morgan stallion doing PSG right now...Coal Magic is his name. I saw him at Dressage at Lex. STUNNING horse.

If I wasn't so darn tall

My horse I grew up with (still have him) is a Morgan. He is going to be 26 this year and is still completely sound and loving life. He was my jumper and if I had all the time and money in the world I would train him more for dressage but instead we just play and I loan him out to others to use whenever I can. (My new guy takes up a lot of time...) I think especially when started off right (meaning not in another discipline) Morgans can be absolutely fabulous dressage horses but....you know...two horse people....three opinions
    My blog:

RAWR

Default 3 year old morgan owner here

I'm currently training my three year old Morgan gelding in dressage. We are hoping to try out for the US Para team in a few years. It should be interesting with a morgan, but we are going to give it our best shot.
    He is a phenomenal horse, my trainer has called him Saint Copper and one in a million. At three, he stands like a statue when I need him for balance and will stop when I'm riding the second he feels me start to lose my balance. His biggest fault is that he can be a bit lazy, but I'd much rather than, then the alternative. We are having a bit of a challenge trying to get a nice, forward, consistent trot, but it is all my problem, not his. He'd rather trot so that I stay upright and comfortable, not the more forward motion my trainer and I are looking for. We'll get it one of these days though. We've just started to canter, and it well makes up for the trot.
    -Kym

i ride for a Morgan breeder in upstate NY, and LOVE them! Most of the kids are old government/lippitt lines, with a bit of brunk thrown in for good measure. Great brains (if anything, TOO smart!), athletic, and try thier little hearts out!!

My all time, bestest horse of my life was a Morgan. Never rode him dressage, but wish I had him now (he died in 1993 at the ripe old age of 29). He was owned by my family for 26 years, ridden by 3 of my 4 sisters and me. Truly a once in a lifetime horse. If I hadn't found my Arab, I would have looked for another Morgan. They are wonderful horses.

Good luck! and post pix when you can!

I have a couple friends who ride and show Kennebec morgans. They are the old school style of Morgans (pardon my non-Morgan world language!) and very cool. One of my friends shows her mare 3rd level dressage and they also dabble in sidesaddle, driving, and eventing (they won their BN division at a USEA event this past summer!). They are great horses. There's currently a yearling at the farm who I want to steal!
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Are you aware of this organization?

http://www.morgandressage.org/

Fairly active bulletin board there, too.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

We have owned 7 Morgans and trained them in dressage. We have 2 now ATMF Supreme Fate (12 years old) and EMR Red Sky (5 years old). Our first 2 Morgans were from the UVM farm and they each lived to be 31 years old. I think we stopped riding them when they were around 26-27 years old. We do quite a bit of trail riding in addition to dressage.

I grew up with Morgans (my grandparents were highly involved with the AMHA) and my parents ended up breeding Morgan/TB sporthorses (one of which was my first upper level event horse). I now ride an OTTB, but will always have a fondness for the Morgan breed. I get my fix now with a client's Morgan who I get to ride several times a week and teach on several more. She is the sweetest thing!

Here she is attempting baby counter canter serpentines (second time ever!)

Hooray for Morgans! Owned and shown them for 30 years (english pleasure, park, western and hunt)! My current one is the first one I have shown dressage--showing first and some second this year! They are the best! Super minds, great work ethic, solid and reliable. Great personalitities and perfect for the amateur. Too bad more people don't realize what a wonderful sport horse the Morgan can be.
    Here's a pic from a year ago

http://chronicleofmyhorse.ning.com/p...1?context=user

My Stinky Pony is a Morgan. He has Lippitt lines. He's the traditional bay. Super sensitive, a bit of a smart ass, personality plus, too cute for his own good, sometimes easily offended, big hearted, and a great little horse. Love him.

Chebeau, you have just described my Amos to a "T!"

Amos is, like my screen name implies, a TB/Morgan cross. I bred him myself, and he's coming 6 this spring. He is a lovely blend of both parents, but as he matures, he looks more and more like a full Morgan. He has been a sheer joy to raise and train! Of course, I would have loved him no matter what, as he's the son of my "heart" horse, but as it turns out, he truly is an especially nice little horse and I'm loving every step of the journey with him!

Here are some pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rivende...ns/5414875121/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rivende...ns/5415485464/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rivende...ns/5415485520/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rivende...ns/5415485570/

Katja

Well I am another one who comes from a family who was heavily involved with morgans (multiple generations and decades). I only have one horse at this time that can claim any morgan heritage and that is my morgan x welsh cob mare. She is definitely a fantastic all- rounder. Her half-passes are to die for and many comment on how fancy she is. Honestly though her best attribute is the fact that I can put anyone on her and not have to worry. She gears up or down to the level and ability of the rider. She's definitely one of those priceless family members.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Hey, Ann, it's Marthe! I started this thread the other day. xoxo

Hi there! Welcome to the forums. Does anyone else feel like it's "Morgan Week?" LOL

Anyway, there are quite a few of us Morgan lovers lurking around here.

I have two Morgans (one a Reserve World Champion); my "farm name" is Gratis Park Sport Morgans. I don't focus on primarily on dressage from a competition standpoint, but I do try to keep my flatwork more dressage-based, rather than the standard hunter-esque "hack." I primarily compete in the jumpers, some hunters (if it is the only thing readily available to me), and will be making a foray into the eventing world with my gelding. He said that he wants to be an event pony. Both my horses are trained to both ride and drive.

One of the best things about Morgans is definitely their brains - they're smart enough to take care of those who need it, and smart enough to know when to do otherwise - teehee! My BF initially learned how to ride on my then-3YO gelding.

I have lots of pics, but they're mostly on FB. I also talk about them a lot in my blog: http://laughingdownthelines.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by pattnic; Feb. 4, 2011 at 04:08 PM.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Thanks so much! Love my Sigi (Statesmans Signature). He's at www.aboutsigi.com if you want to check him out. Are you still riding?