The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Anyone have any experience with these saddles?

I had found these a while ago while surfing the net and they now have a booth at WEF. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. They look AWESOME!!!

http://en.voltaire-design.com/home.html

There was a thread about this last September:
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=273316

I have nothing to add to their thoughts except to agree that the stuff looks suspiciously like Devoucoux tack--so much so that I wonder if it's a spinoff brand founded by someone who used to work for Devoucoux. The Voltaire Elkton is clearly very close in design to the Devoucoux Ioldy, and the Voltaire Lexington has striking similarities to the Devoucoux Chiberta. They're not the same--even at the schmancy marketing-friendly angles that they've shot the Lexington, for example, I can see some differences in how the seat would ride on the Voltaire--but the flap on the Lexington is VERY reminiscent of the Chiberta.

I dealt with them via Ebay buying a CWD that they got on trade. I was very pleased with their customer service! They shipped the saddle super fast, it was exactly as described and they followed up really well to make sure it was what I wanted. They offered a full refund if the saddle didn't work with me and my horse. I was very impressed with them!

I am utterly unimpressed with them.........they use awesome leather on their DEMO saddles, then use crap quality leather on the one you actually PAY for. I have seen the demos and the ones that my friends have bought........the stitching on them was uneven and absolutely atrocious, it looked like a toddler sewed the flaps. Rather harsh I know, but the company claims to be so much better than Dev, Antares, CWD, etc......I have owned every French saddle in existence and I must say these are the most poorly built and sloppily made saddle yet......with a huge price tag.

Just not worth it IMO. If they paid more attention to detail, used good leather and made the saddle as if they actually CARED about what it looked like, then perhaps. Plus, the handful I have seen "float" in the back of the saddle lifting off the horse's back visibly with every stride. You could not pay me to purchase one.

They are indeed Devoucoux knock-offs. The former US manager for Devoucoux, Brice runs/owns Voltaire. I pass by him on my way to work everyday at Wef. IMHO Stay away. Buy a known brand.... Antares, Butet, CWD, Devoucoux, PJ, Prestige, etc

They look like every other over priced french made saddle with cheap foam panels. $4000 for something that will only wear away in 10 years and cost you thousands in vet bills since your horse will have a sore back.