The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How Do You Do This? (Link To Photo Included)

I have seen this as the finished product a bunch of times. Yet for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get it like this!

Can anyone offer easy to follow,detailed,directions?

http://www.justforponies.com/cottonleadline.aspx

It's a modified hangman's knot aka cavalry knot and while I do know how to tie it, I can't tell you because I am at a loss for the correct words......so here ya go: http://www.realknots.com/knots/noose.htm

To finish like the photo of the lead, you pull the free end through the very reduced loop and pull the working piece of rope
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Rather than try to give directions, I see there are already good explanations on various websites. You want to produce an eye splice. The loop made by the eye will be very small as you just want it big enough to surround the loop in the snap. A suggestion: rather an braid through the snap directly, I use a quick link through the eye of the rope. Then, when the snap breaks (as they inevitably do), I can simply open the quick link, take off the broken snap and replace it with a new snap. The lead ropes last much longer than the snaps in my experience.

Just for a start, the website on The Double Braid Eye Spice of the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary looks good.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

I'm a little confused by the post above mine, but I think what you're asking is how to wrap up a leadrope like the picture you posted, right?

It's simple:

Hold the lead rope by the snap and fold it up so that you've got about a foot long "loop" (so the rope drops for about 12" from the snap and is then folded back up about 12").

Start wrapping from the top of the "loop" so that you wrap the lead rope around and around until you get to the bottom where you'll now how a small loop sticking out of the bottom of the wrapped part.

Stuff the end of the rope through that small loop, and voila.

You have to play around with how much to fold up so that you end up with the right ratio.

Is that what you were asking?

PNWJumper got it right while I was still fumbling around trying to figure out how to tell someone to do it. It is one of those things I could show someone, but never figure out how to effectively tell someone!

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    PNWJumper got it right while I was still fumbling around trying to figure out how to tell someone to do it. It is one of those things I could show someone, but never figure out how to effectively tell someone!
    It's tough when you KNOW how to to something but to write a description is way beyond capablilities!!!LOL
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

If you fish...it's a lot like a fisherman's knot.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    I'm a little confused by the post above mine, but I think what you're asking is how to wrap up a leadrope like the picture you posted, right? Is that what you were asking?
    Yes, exactly!

Thank you for the simple explanation (and to everyone else who offered assistance as well)!

Now to practice . . .