The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I love this show.
    The fox hunting, well, the hounds were sort of on hound walk. None of the hounds had their noses to the gound or were really on anything and the huntsman was in *front* of the hounds. The "big drop" jump that the daughter and the turk did was not that big at all. I was wondering why they didn't lay a drag or something, but having seen films being made I suppose that this would have been too much - they have to do things over and over again. The turn out looked great and you can easily tell who the real riders were. Loved the horses!

Actually, just to clarify, the actors were supposed to be on a big, exciting run. Hounds would not have had theor noses down and searching, but would have been very focused and running hard (scent ideally being chest high), all would have been together almost like a flock of birds. Those hounds in that scene were looking around, very happy, looking at the huntsman - they simply were not actually being hunted. Very understandable, and I hope that the hunt that they used got a fat check for doing it, because it sure looked like a real pack and huntsman to me.
    Last edited by xeroxchick; Jan. 25, 2011 at 11:21 PM. Reason: clarification

I like the way it gives me an insight into my grandparents' lives.

My mother's parents were "in service" (under-cook and chauffer) and her maternal grandparents were too ("head" cook, and home farmer) at Burghley.

In the late 20s, her parents left service, and her father became a London (double decker) bus driver

On the other side, my father's father was an Egyptologist who worked on translating some of the inscriptions in Tutankhamun's tomb. So there is a reasonable chance that he visited Highclere as a guest.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kewpalace View Post
    No - Prince Charles owns Highgrove part of the Duchy of Cornwall

Highclere has been inhabited by the Earl of Carnarvon for 331 years, it is now on its 8th Earl. The family has lived there since 1679. Although this Earl doesn't live in the castle because it is falling apart, they live in a cottage on the grounds. The first floor and second floor are the only ones in any fit state to be seen. There are 11 bedrooms on the first floor and 40 - 50 bedrooms on the next floors which are not able to be used. They have a 12 million pound repair bill to keep it from falling apart. They open it to the paying public, let it out for weddings, let it out for filming.

Lord Andrew Lloyd-Weber has tried to buy it but they won't sell.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/...pair-bill.html

http://www.highclerecastle.co.uk/

Absolutely LOVE the series, and I'm sad it's ending next week. Dragon happily grazing on the side of the road cracked me up. I'm very happy to hear there will be a second season.

Oh no, ending next week?? When does the second season start? I wanted this to last all winter.

Quote Originally Posted by SEPowell View Post
    Oh no, ending next week?? When does the second season start? I wanted this to last all winter.
    Well, if you live in the UK the second season will be showing on ITV in late Fall 2011 . There is also supposedly going to be a Christmas Special for season II, which the Brits all love, ha ha.

I am unsure when the second season will make it stateside...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Coth's Resident Deatheater~

Quote Originally Posted by one_Haflinger View Post
    The UK version aired in seven episodes, but ours is just 4 episodes.
    I'm loving the series as well. It's actually the same amount of programming, just divided differently.
    Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    I like the way it gives me an insight into my grandparents' lives.

My mother's parents were "in service" (under-cook and chauffer) and her maternal grandparents were too ("head" cook, and home farmer) at Burghley.

In the late 20s, her parents left service, and her father became a London (double decker) bus driver

On the other side, my father's father was an Egyptologist who worked on translating some of the inscriptions in Tutankhamun's tomb. So there is a reasonable chance that he visited Highclere as a guest.
    How cool! I recently watched an episode of Who do you think you are? (BBC) with Annie Lennox. Her grandfather and grandmother (or greats?) met while in service at Balmoral. Sadly her g-g-grandmother had a very sad childhood which ended in cancer in her 30s.

... _. ._ .._. .._

Does anybody have a cheat sheet for which episodes have significant hunting?

I'm not sure I want to watch from the start, but I'd watch those episodes.