The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Where are you? Disposal in So Cal is about $260. Between that and what the vet is quoting to put her down, your friend will probably still come out ahead, compared to what they are most probably dishing out in vet bills right now.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Here it is around $80 to have a vet euthanize a horse, then from there we have the option of burial (allowed on our land, costs us about $45 for the backhoe), dead stock removal truck which was free prior to BSE, then cost $30, or cremation if you haul the horse to the crematorium 100 miles from here--cost of that is close to $1000. Pet cemetary cost a friend $250 for a foal; I'm not sure if the local one would take a full size horse.

There used to be a couple of places that would pick up animals for pet food; the owners would come out, shoot the horse & then haul it away for a total charge of $30. As upsetting as it is, I too prefer to have them shot (provided the shooter knows what he's doing, & these pet food guys did)--with a well placed bullet I know the horse is dead before he hits the ground. With euthanasia drugs, well, I'm never 100% convinced it is absolutely "instant".

I'm sorry that you have to be making these decisions. It's hard enough with an old horse that's lived a good life; when it's a young horse, it's much much worse.

I know this may not the appropriate place for my ranting here, but really - eating YOUR/MY horse? This reminds me of the time my ex husband's grandmother had conjestive heart failure, and the son was on the phone with the morgue two weeks before she died at Thanksgiving dinner with everyone sitting around the table!!!!

I know some people are gonna get upset at me, and in fact this is a "factual finding" question here, but you know what, at this point, this is really getting quite gross and graphic, if you ask me.

This lady's horse is in trouble here, and people are suggesting that the horse be sent for dog food, or cat food, or zoo food.

You know, to shoot the horse yourself or have a trusted neighbor or friend do it, if unable and THEN call the renderer is one thing, but to have someone come out and shoot the horse, a person you don't know - that is completely different. You don't know these people! I would never be able to forgive myself.

Is this my opinion - sure it is.

And then there was the thing with donating it to the hunts - Doesn't everyone here know that those big game hunts are a terrible thing to begin with? To put them in small areas and to have rich people come out and "hunt" them? That's not hunting, that's not sport, that is a coward's "trophy" and "status symbol". Because he/she doesn't have the gumption to get out there and hunt for real, because he might get his little toes cold.

I really feel for the OP, but some of these suggestions are quite graphic, and disturbing at this point. At least no one has brought up sending the poor horse to - well, I won't go there (yet).

OP, I am certatinly sorry about your horse. At this point, If it were me, I would have the vet do it, or do it myself. I am sure that there is some way to afford to either burn, bury or render the horse. I hope you make the right decision, but I really can't help but to start to get upset about some of this graphic talk. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif

nettiemaria- The OP asked for the options. There is absolutely nothing malicious about what is being said. No one said anything about chasing a horse down in a hunt. They said shot in place and fed to the hounds. I have a friend that is a great shot and I will have her shoot my favorite mare. Others will go to the Un. of Illinois to be put down. Cost is $90 for putting down and disposal.

JoZ is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

As the OP... I'm still fine with everything being discussed and suggested. There might be some things about which I say "not for me" but heck I'll even pass those along to my friend. Everything is a matter of personal taste, "stomach", tolerance, etc.

I don't think anyone suggesting donating to a hunt was anticipating that the filly would be hunted. Ugh. THAT would push me over the edge!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Nettiemaria
    The hunts people are referring to are foxhunt clubs, not big game hunts. You have your horse put down by bullet then they will come and take him away, for free, and feed to the foxhounds. Or zoo animals, or whatever. The horse is dead. It doesn't really care. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. The cycle of life and all that stuff. In hunting circles (fox, not big game) it is considered the only way to go. Non wasteful, humane, something you yourself can control and assist (to a point) and responsible.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Also, putting the horse to sleep sounds peaceful but it is not always that way. My 37 year old horse fought it. Let's just say it was NOT pretty. If I ever have to put a horse down by injection I will ask the vet to trank him into insensibility first and put a fly mask on him.
    If I have a choice they're going to the fox hunts.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

why a fly mask?

I was so fortunate in that Willem went down without a fight. Of course, I'd given him a full tube of Banamine while waiting for the vet, plus we gave him a sedative in the stall before taking him out, and another before we did the Big Shot.

My friend BBer Pinkerdo had her finger on the vein the Big Shot went into, and kept her finger pressed in until three syringes full went in, so it was blissfully quick.

BTW, for those who suggest that it is better to do it with a bullet, remember that by law many of us do not have that option. I am in a public equestrian center in a good-sized city, so it's not like I can whip out a shotgun.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Just thought I would share a few experiences. I worked as a vet tech for 10 plus years for a vet who made house calls. Unfortunately, one of the things we did alot of was euthanize dogs and cats in their homes. So, no last trip to the vet for these animals. I always thought it was a great service. Anyway, as a result I have held off the vein and held numerous critters in my arms in their final moments. The vet I worked for said that the pink stuff went to the brain first,effectively making the animal brain dead, before the heart stopped.
    The vast majority of the time, it was just like they went to sleep. Those last breaths (and sometimes vocalizations) were a reflex after the animal was gone. These were small animals, not horses, but I can't think the process can be any different. At no time did I ever have the feeling that these animals were having a heart attack. Personally I would have a harder time trusting someone with a shotgun to get the job done right than my vet who knows me and my horse.
    JMO...good luck to the OP. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif

You could contact a Veterinary teaching hospital in your area to see if they have a need for the filly. My concern is this- what is the condition which is causing her pain?? IOW, I would be uncomfortable having her kept alive for a period of time with a painful condition.

Crematories are very expensive when you get to the horse weight catagory. Around here it is just under $1000. As some others have stated local hunts will euthanize and dispose of horses. However, in our area it's only for hunt members.

A chemical euthanasia is not a bad way to let an animal go, even a horse though the price you quoted is higher than average. At the clinic we always, always heavily sedate the horse first and let it "rest" for 5-10 minutes before giving the drugs which will arrest it's systems. I guess the comment about the fly mask is to protect the onlookers from a horse which passes on with it's eyes open.

Ummmm, based on talking to my vet about this, it's a .22 not a shotgun. Also, after talking to my vet, I'd trust him with this responsibility.

OTOH, my small animal vet will not come to your house to perform this service. It sounds like sometimes they need to be at their facility (and I chose not to go into details as to why).

We have Rolling Hills Animal Preserve right here in Kansas, about 8 miles from where I board my horses. I've given it great thought, and when the time comes, I'm going to ask them if they could come and send my mare's spirit free and use her body to feed their big cats. Somehow, that just seems right. I'll just take her on a walk in the pasture, a stranger will step up and put a bullet right where it needs to be.

I held my sweet 29yo mare while she was put down by a vet. You could call it a lot of things, but peaceful it was not. She KNEW what was happening, and her last look was into my eyes--I will NEVER forget the terror and sudden understanding I saw there. That absolutely haunts me...

So, BIG bullet right to the sweetspot.

District 89 land of the idiot Representative

This is a tough post........I really recommend you have your vet give a good traq prior. When my mare was euthanized it was very peaceful, she gave a heavy traq, she started to feel very woozy, my vet sat her back on her butt and then gently rolled her down and then gave the shots. I too would fear a bullet, just my preference I would fear jerking at the last minute. None of this is ever easy but I know my vet said in all her years as an equine vet using the method described all went peaceful http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/sadsmile.gif.
    NO HORSES TO SLAUGHTER CLIQUE
    http://www.cafepress.com/maneshirts

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Procella:
    why a fly mask? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I found looking at his open dead eyes heartbreaking.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

For those of you who want to know what to expect during the euthanasia process, there is a video of the process available here..

http://www.saplonline.org/slaughtervhumaneeuth.htm
    www.horse-protection.org

No Horses to Slaughter Clique

When I put my mare down this spring I had her up at Cornell for treatment. I donated her for them to do an autopsy on after she was dead. They still charged me $250.00 to put her down, even with the donation.

Then to add insult to injury, they mailed me back her halter 3 mos. later. That started the waterworks all over again. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/cry.gif

Another word about the open eyes things. Their eyes do not close. If you try and close them, they will open back up.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I believe I paid around $350-500 to my vet--this included dispose fees. A friend too him to the vet clinic. They had a nice stall for him and lots of rich hay and a bag of carrots. He was an OTTB and didn't stress about being in new places. I said my good byes at the farm--I wanted that to be the way I remembered him. My vet and friends STRONGLY recomended not being there. As they said, he will not know it is coming. My friend had held a number of horses being put down and said it was very peaceful. ALL our vets around here tranq. them first. My vet who I trust, took care of everything. I've know several people who have donated to a fox hunt or to a vet school. Those are all good alternatives. For me, I wanted a little more control so I was sure that his last moments were not highly stressful.

Edited to add: I also had him taken to the vet clinic so the kids at the barn didn't have to see any of it either.

I hope that you don't have to make that decision. It was one of the hardest ones I've every had to make but it is part of our responsibility as horse owners to make those hard decisions....even when they hurt. Good luck--I'm dreading having to make the decision for my 12 year old Rottie but I think she will let me know when its time.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

beautifully said Hnters' rest"Love the ones that are here and remember the ones that are gone with a smile. Gotta go bawl now.
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans