The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I had this question half-formed in my head and now, sadly, its answer may become necessary. A filly belonging to my friend and horse partner has been seriously injured and may need to be put to sleep. If you can spare a jingle or two that we do NOT have to face the equine grim reaper, that would be awesome. But my question is a little bit different.

Our vet quoted a price of $250 for euthanasia not including disposal of the body, though she said that (the disposal) would be the costly part. I've heard it quoted around here at $300-500 itself.

Are there any humane options? If it comes to that for this filly, it will be because surgery for her injury will run $5000-7000 on top of what my friend is paying right now to treat it pre-surgery, with no guarantee of success. Financially, that would not be possible. Would it be worth calling other vets to see if anyone would take the filly for free and treat her? Would a vet hospital euthanize her (no experimentation!) to use the body for student work? What about feeding zoo animals? I'd be interested in these options if it were my horse, not only for cost but also because it seems much more holistic and might actually benefit someone or something. Any thoughts on these or other options?

I re-read the above and it sounds pretty cold to me but please believe me it's killing me to even think about it -- the filly may as well be mine, all our horses are family members. It's very hard to think clinically or even logically about this, but since we are trying everything we can afford to keep her alive, it does afford a bit of time to think and plan.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

JoZ is online now Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

I had this question half-formed in my head and now, sadly, its answer may become necessary. A filly belonging to my friend and horse partner has been seriously injured and may need to be put to sleep. If you can spare a jingle or two that we do NOT have to face the equine grim reaper, that would be awesome. But my question is a little bit different.

Our vet quoted a price of $250 for euthanasia not including disposal of the body, though she said that (the disposal) would be the costly part. I've heard it quoted around here at $300-500 itself.

Are there any humane options? If it comes to that for this filly, it will be because surgery for her injury will run $5000-7000 on top of what my friend is paying right now to treat it pre-surgery, with no guarantee of success. Financially, that would not be possible. Would it be worth calling other vets to see if anyone would take the filly for free and treat her? Would a vet hospital euthanize her (no experimentation!) to use the body for student work? What about feeding zoo animals? I'd be interested in these options if it were my horse, not only for cost but also because it seems much more holistic and might actually benefit someone or something. Any thoughts on these or other options?

I re-read the above and it sounds pretty cold to me but please believe me it's killing me to even think about it -- the filly may as well be mine, all our horses are family members. It's very hard to think clinically or even logically about this, but since we are trying everything we can afford to keep her alive, it does afford a bit of time to think and plan.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Unfortunately, there is a lot to think about before euthanizing a horse. The arrangements to be made for disposal of the body can be quite challenging- I am speaking from experience. Long-story but involves an Appaloosa with a fractured leg, a home in sub-division, a refusal from the boarding facility to bury and limited access to land...

Back to the subject at hand...
    Are you located near a veterinary school? You may look into donating the filly. Dependent upon her ailment, they might be able to utilize her for teaching purposes. Rest-assured that she would not suffer through "experimentation". Trial treatments, yes... inhumane, weird-science type suffering-no. She may end up being humanely destroyed, or she might end up at another home (enter my current event horse). My current mount was a vet-school donate. He was used as a blood donor, then underwent arthroscopic surgery in order to allow the resident to practice the procedure. He has suffered no ill effects from his tenure at the college.

I wouldn't look to a private veterinary hospital to take her for free and treat her. There is entirely too much cost involved with little to no benefit to the private practitioner. Unfortunately, veterinary hospitals do have to make a profit...or at least try not to lose money. Bummer, eh?

I hope this discussion is of absolutely no use to you! Meaning... I hope she recovers and you don't have to face the ominous process..
    http://www.stoneridgeeventing.com

I'm not 100% sure, but I *think*, to be used for zoo animal food, she could not be euthanized, because of the drugs.

Jingles for this poor filly, I really hope she pulls through.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ owned & loved by my OTTB Bruster ~

\"You are a great champion. When you ran the ground shook, the sky opened, and mere mortals parted the way to victory\" ~ Dreamer

Jingles for the filly.

My vet charged about $130 to euthanize my dear old Fudgeman this summer. A horse/pet cemetary
    was about 80 miles away and he's resting in a peaceful spot. That was $275 including picking his body up.

When my not-yet-then husband had to put his old horse (the barn's charity case who could no longer be used as a school horse due to seizures)down back in Colorado, the vet was a hunt master at local hunt. We trailered Tex there and left him happily munching some gorgeous alfalfa. The vet was going to put him down and use his remains to feed the hounds. He said he preferred a well-placed gunshot over euthanisa drugs as he thought it was quicker and kinder.

When we got back to the barn, the barn manager
    was appalled Tex was munching alfalfa as he wasn't permitted it. Yoo, we think he can have anything wants at this point. She agreed.

I also paid around $130 for the euthanasia. My lovely old lady is buried in an equine cemetery. It was $250 and that included pick-up burial, grave marker, and a nice little funeral service. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/sadsmile.gif Jingles for the filly.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    *Phenix* 1990 Trakehner Mare
    *Vanderbilt* 2001 OTTB Gelding

Have you checked to see if burying a horse is allowed where she lives? If so if you can find someone who knows how to kill a horse with a .22 caliber rifle its cheap, very effective, and not messy. Then if theres someone with a backhoe you can hire to bury it it won't be so expensive.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

When my retired foxhunter was at the point she needed to be released from her suffering, I also went to the local hunt. Seemed a "circle of life" sort of thing. She'd chased after the hounds for years and had a good life...she was now going to feed the hounds. She was also shot, so no suffering.

Sorry about your youngster.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Prices vary with with location. Your best bet will be the vet school if they will take her to let students practice the surgery on her or a local hunt or zoo. I don't know how much it costs but you can have them rendered. Around here the number is 1 800 DEADCOW.
    If you do have her "put to sleep" try to have the vet tranquelize her first. Some horses, like my old guy, fight it. My next one will be shot.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

$250 is extremely high for euthanasia. The vets in my area generally charge about 50-75 for the drugs plus the regular farm call fee.

Most university's who have veterinary programs will euthanize, necropsy and dispose of the carcass for under $100.00. Equine clinics are generally in the $200.00 range for euthanasia and disposal is included.

Where are you located? I might be able to direct you to someone who can help.
    www.horse-protection.org

No Horses to Slaughter Clique

This may be a more expensive option but even here in Jackson Ms, we have a Pet Crematorium. I have not gotten a price from them but know of one person who had their horse put down at the crematorium to save money on hauling the horse’s body.

I have also heard of universities providing disposal services and I would think your vet would know most of your options in your area.

When I had to put my filly down we called the town road superintendent (in NH) and they volunteered a back hoe so it cost me nothing to bury her. I don't remember what the cost was to have her put down but I remember it was not much, definitely under $100.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Wow, I think it was about $60 + farm call fee when I had my mare put down in June. I'm lucky, we have the equipment and the place for burial at the farm, so no cost there.
    Y'all ain't right!

This is a difficult decision. Be aware that if you donate your horse to the local hunt or zoo (which I think is a great idea), that chemical euthanasia is generally not possible as the "consumers" can easily get affected by the drugs as well.

I have not heard of a Hunt, what is it exactly?

Horses can be humanely destroyed with a well place bullet if you want to use their carcass. It's not a bad option.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LefT * of * CenteR!:
    I'm not 100% sure, but I *think*, to be used for zoo animal food, she could not be euthanized, because of the drugs.

Jingles for this poor filly, I really hope she pulls through. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh you poor dear. Prayers and warmth for all involved.
    As the above say, a bullet is far preferable than an injection. Too many horses try to 'fight' the injection as they feel themselves slipping (?) beyond. The shot is instant. You can be there (which is hard, I know, but soooo important for your friend to be in loving hands) and hand the horse off with a pat and then (if you can't stand it) go around the corner. It doesn't take 2 seconds and its over. Then you can caress and love and coo and cry. Oh, my, I'm sniffling just thinking of this. Horses are so special. Love the ones that are here and remember the ones that are gone with a smile. Gotta go bawl now.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Yes, I would think so. You are kind people. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When we got back to the barn, the barn manager
    was appalled Tex was munching alfalfa as he wasn't permitted it. Yoo, we think he can have anything wants at this point. She agreed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the Los Angeles area, Wildlife Waystation takes donations of horses to feed their big cats. I understand that they normally like to accept a live horse and keep it for a couple of weeks to flush anything out of its system and to also determine if it's a rehab candidate before they put it down.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

another option for disposal if you have patch of land to do so on, euthanasia or shot or whatever method of putting them down... is to burn them.

My thoroughbred was shot and burnt last year. I am very glad he was burnt as the other option was leaving him out for the coyotes (no deadstock removal here, and psycho-trainer-who-lies wouldn't have been willing to help find a backhoe to bury) and the thought of that bothered me more. BUT... I would not have wanted to be out there supervising that burn. (and wasn't.)

But it is an option for disposal if need be.
    And it works, though it does leave charred remnants so perhaps still best if not euthanized chemically.

Hard decision. I, too, hope that things work out so that your filly gets another chance at life.

BC
    *&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
    "Show me the back of a thoroughbred horse, and I will show you my wings."
    &*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

$100 for the euthanasia, $50 for a backhoe (an acquaintance, who probably gave us a deal). We have our own place, and I didn't ask the county what they thought about it. I spoke to her for years everytime I passed by her grave.