The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ft Knox KY Army family needs home for pitbull

IS there anybody that could give a home to a family oriented spayed female blue pitbull ? Dog is located on Ft Knox Army post , daddy just deployed to Afghanistan and apparently the base has new rules regarding no pitbulls allowed on base. Mom and two kids are devastated and don't know what to do .
    Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength

Foster program for deployed military:

http://www.netpets.org/militarypet/foster.php

Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Schnauzers, Boxers, Western, & Polo Ponies

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

The problem with a foster program is that if the family continues to live on post (virtually any post now) the privatized housing companies have insurance rules that prohibit pits. The family will probably have to find a permanent home, and that depends on the geographic area and your insurance company rules, or if you lease and can have pets.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Feel free to list her here: http://www.facebook.com/VAPBAC

We're based in VA, but this is a Pit Bull group I help with. LOTS of fans, so someone may be interested.

Be sure to post any info. you know about her; is she spayed, UTD on shots, good with other dogs or cats, good with kids (I see they have two so I'm assuming she is), etc. Pictures "sell" a dog to people as well. Be sure to post contact info. as well as location, the more info., the better.

http://www.pbrc.net/ may be able to help as well. Here's the direct link for listing a dog: http://www.pbrc.net/submission.html

I'm not sure if there are any breed specific rescues in KY.. I'm in VA so only really know of the ones close to here.

As for the military base thing, yes, for the most part Pit Bull breeds are banned on ALL military bases/housing.
    -Kady

Anyway they can do off base housing?

My brother (Army) finally gave up on trying to take his lovely PB with him through PCSs and gave him to my youngest brother.

Unfortunately, while I do know that PBs can be fabulous family dogs, there is so much stigma attached that even aside from military, most home owners insurance companies, townships, counties, etc don't allow them anymore. They really aren't easy dogs to try to be mobile with. And forget if you PCS overseas. Eeek.

I would have your friend contact local rescues/fosters and/or the military foster program posted above.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...