The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Just Outside of Dallas - California to be exact

Thumbs up A Boy, A Horse in Need, A Christmas Success Story!!

While attending the Ridge Riders 11th Annual Horse Show/TIER benefit in early December, we were approached about a mare that was currently participating in the show who needed to find a home. Her name is Petra (still trying to find out her registered name. Tattoo seems to have a "Q" at the end? No spring chicken). She had been abandoned at a stable by her owner who had moved out of state. Since there wasn't anyone paying to board Petra, she was getting minimum care in the way of feed, farrier, etc.

We watched as Petra & her rider exhibited the required movements and jumps at the show. This sweet mare did everything she was asked without hesitation and with total willingness. She stood quietly when asked and performed her tasks when asked. We really thought this might be a good match for Alex.

TIER & TIER VolunTIERS (Suzy & Alex)began networking to try to help. Volunteers Suzy and her son Alex had come to help with our booth at the show. (TIER knew that Alex has been taking riding and horsemanship lessons and thought that Petra and Alex might be a good match. We were hoping that Suzy would get the idea!!) We introduced both Alex and mom to Petra and asked them to talk to their trainer to see if she might have room in her lesson barn for this lovely mare. (At this point, I was keeping my fingers crossed that the lesson barn might have an opening, BUT I was really hoping that Alex & Petra would become a twosome. What a nailbiter situation!)

Suzy contacted her trainer who then contacted the person who was trying to find Petra a home. Petra was brought to the new barn and Suzy made plans to surprise Alex with his First Horse for Christmas.

Petra was in need of a few more groceries suited to her age, some dental work, and farrier work. Suzy & Alex have already had her feet done, scheduled the dentist and are providing a more nutritious feeding program for this lovely girl.

Networking with others, caring people and a horse that needed her very own boy came together for a wonderful Christmas Success Story.

Check out the pictures of this beautiful TB mare and the update from Suzy about the Christmas morning surprise!

http://www.tierrescue.org/Petra.htm

We hope everyone had a great Christmas. We are keeping our fingers crossed for a wonderful new year for horses in need and for the people who CARE about them!
    Be kind to the animals for they are the True Innocents!
    True Innocents Equine Rescue: www.tierrescue.org
    Join us on Facebook!

That's awesome!

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

Awww. That's wonderful.

LIKE!
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Threads like this just make me BEAM.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

What a wonderful post. I hope Petra and Alex have many happy years together.
    Proud mother to Matt, a 18 year-old TB gelding.

FOREVER

Moms like Suzy, kids like Alex and horses like Petra coming together make me BEAM.

On the downside....now that they have their very own horsie they won't have has much time to volunteer! HA! These two are some of our most industrious, committed volunteers. They are awesome!

On the upside..........truthfully, as much as we need volunteers like this, I am ecstatic that they stepped up to help Petra and to be able to receive the wonderfulness of their very own horse!

It may be a loss of some of their volunteer time to TIER. The reality is that TIER was able to help another horse, another family. LOVE IT!

Petra's story could have ended much more sadly. Instead, she and her new family have some time together. WIN, WIN, WIN!!
    Join us on Facebook!

Fantastic. Happy Holidays.

I adopted a rescue mare (from a different organization near me) two months ago, and she is just a delight! She's great to ride, and very agreeable and curious about everything! I call her my "thousand pound monkey". She's always making toys out of funny things, and loves hugs, scritches, and being brushed. Rescue IS the way to go, IMHO. I love those success stories!!!!

I was so frustrated about this situation because TIER is just not in a position to take any horses in at this time. Especially after the wet weather (MUD up to your eyeballs!) we have had.

It is difficult to find homes for the elderly horses who have given so much. It takes that special someone to step up for that special horse. The outcome of this situation is just the bestest!

Alex had his second ride on Petra the other day. His first ride was when his instructor sent him over to where Petra was located to "test drive" her for the instructor. It was really to see if they were compatible as Alex had no idea that he would be getting Petra for Xmas if it was a good match!

So, as Alex was lunging her the instructor said "So, are you going to ride her or what??!" Nuff said. It's awesome that Petra has the knowledge and Alex has the 'learnability".
    Join us on Facebook!