The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Default Spinoff - Mule Jumping. Old timers check in!

I didn't even bother to see how many nay-sayers might be telling the poster (considering to convert a Saddlebred to being a jumper) that the Saddlebred wouldn't do well as a jumper. My response was that if mules could do it, why couldn't a Saddlebred?

Anyone remember back when mules actually did compete in the jumpers but were later outlawed?

Anyone else get a kick out of the mule jumping competitions and the fact that they do it from a standstill? That mule's got room to spare!

Anyone know who this guy is? Must've been a big deal to make it on Life magazine.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

I don't have any answer to the questions in the OP, but I have to say-

I rode for a local horse trader in college, and we would routinely get mules in. I went with him to ride a few through the sale at HC Mules Days in OR, and if you haven't been, you NEED to. It's just sheer delight. These old boys, with SantaClaus-bellies and beards race their mules on the track, with bedrolls and cast iron pans on their saddle and there's no thought of right or wrong, it's just plain FUN.

I'll never forget the mule I rode through the sale-he was a big (16+hh-I could b a r e l y get on him without a leg up) sabino chestnut mule. Gaited, and when we first got him, he pulled like a freight train. He softened up eventually, and we had a ball.
    I am not allowed to look at breeding stock.
    Or babies. Or CANTER, et al.

ESPECIALLY not CANTER, et al.

My trainer told the story of her friend who rode a mule in the hunters and kicked ass (pun kind of intended ) I've seen photos of the mule in question and it was remarkable. She showed the mule until it was outlawed.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

I judged Bishop Mule Days twice and had a great time watching the races . The jumping was a mounted event and although it seems mules find it impossible to do flying changes there were a few that really did the job.

I have a mule.
    er...my Stepdad has a mule therefore I have a mule.

One time, {{at band camp}}I put the mule in my horse's stall with the stall guard up and the he didn't even seem to see it.
    And it broke easily--I don't think he even felt the pressure.

Our paddock gate is completely bent over because the mule plays with the mini donkey over the top of the gate.

He's big (16.1 with oversized head). And dun. And a mule.

I've jumped him. He jumps.

he can be seen on this page. My grey horse is 17h.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/contact.htm
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

What was the reason given so they are now outlawed?

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    What was the reason given so they are now outlawed?
    They are neither a "horse" nor a "pony." They are half-horse.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    They are neither a "horse" nor a "pony." They are half-horse.
    I know but, since they were allowed before, what was the reason given for not allowing them no more? Someone woke up one morning and re-wrote the rules stating only horse and pony were allowed? I thought there might have been some sort of a good reason...

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    I know but, since they were allowed before, what was the reason given for not allowing them no more? Someone woke up one morning and re-wrote the rules stating only horse and pony were allowed? I thought there might have been some sort of a good reason...
    Nope. They weren't explicitly allowed before. The rules had always been written for "horses" and "ponies." No one botherd to make the distinction until people starting to get mad that they were being beaten by mules. So it's not that they re-wrote them, it's that they started enforcing the terminology.

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    I have a mule.
    er...my Stepdad has a mule therefore I have a mule.

One time, {{at band camp}}I put the mule in my horse's stall with the stall guard up and the he didn't even seem to see it.
    And it broke easily--I don't think he even felt the pressure.

Our paddock gate is completely bent over because the mule plays with the mini donkey over the top of the gate.

He's big (16.1 with oversized head). And dun. And a mule.

I've jumped him. He jumps.

he can be seen on this page. My grey horse is 17h.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/contact.htm
    Love the mule. That gray is scrumptious.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

My young mule LOVES to jump.

Look out, world!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHRst4bH0ss
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

While he doesn't jump, there is a trainer here in Oregon who is riding Heart B Porter Creek, and luscious bay mule, at 2nd level, recognized and winning. Was quite the sight at Dressage at Devonwood. Audrey Goldsmith is her name, and that mule ROCKS! Dressage realizes that mules can compete and should compete directly with horses and ponies. Though, they do "upset" the DQs and their mounts on occasion with their vocal stylings.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    My young mule LOVES to jump.

Look out, world!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHRst4bH0ss
    I love your mule's tummy! I wanna 'pank it!

Default mules

Norma and Cindy Talburt of Roseburg, Oregon used to ride and jump lovely mules in the 1970-1980s. Norma is still riding mules, last I heard.
    kenyagirl

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    While he doesn't jump, there is a trainer here in Oregon who is riding Heart B Porter Creek, and luscious bay mule, at 2nd level, recognized and winning. Was quite the sight at Dressage at Devonwood. Audrey Goldsmith is her name, and that mule ROCKS! Dressage realizes that mules can compete and should compete directly with horses and ponies. Though, they do "upset" the DQs and their mounts on occasion with their vocal stylings.
    Love the flapping ears!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=UJu76FhsflU

I once witnessed a mule jumping competition at the state fair. Very cool. They just set up a high single pole with a cloth draped over it. This is to replicate coon hunting where they are out at night, crossing barbed wire fences and stuff. You just throw your coat over the top wire, climb through, and your mule jumps over after you.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Audrey Goldsmith is her name, and that mule ROCKS! Dressage realizes that mules can compete and should compete directly with horses and ponies. Though, they do "upset" the DQs and their mounts on occasion with their vocal stylings.
    I was lucky enough to have spent time with Audrey last year when she was in my area visiting family. She is a delightful woman and the perfect person to be in the spotlight with her wonderful mules. I wanted to send my boy to her for training, but I don't think I want him to be so far away. I love how she is rocking the dressage world. What I find interesting is that mules can compete in dressage up to the FEI level but not in eventing. If any group were going to ban mules, I would think it would be the dressage people!

Quote Originally Posted by Anyplace Farm View Post
    I love your mule's tummy! I wanna 'pank it!
    Lol, you should see it in the winter, his underbelly is all soft and long and fuzzy!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

When were mules outlawed from jumpers? I saw a mule in the 3'0 jumpers a few years ago at Spruce Meadows. So fun to watch! There was a pretty big fan club for the mule. They placed pretty well too, from what I remember.

There was a little mule in the JBN at an event I went to in September, ridden by a little girl. My Quarter Pony was sh*t-scared of him, too :| So we ended up having to drop a couple of numbers so we weren't warming up at the same time!! He did really well... I think they ended up winning the division or top 3! Out of 21. (I placed 5th, just for comparison :P)

Quote Originally Posted by withatwist View Post
    When were mules outlawed from jumpers? I saw a mule in the 3'0 jumpers a few years ago at Spruce Meadows. So fun to watch! There was a pretty big fan club for the mule. They placed pretty well too, from what I remember.
    There were 2 mules that competed on the summer circuit in the 1.10m -1.20m i believe. Kicked some serious butt. Loved watching them go. Also i thought at least one of these mules had a passport from Equine Canada but maybe not.

There is also Team Mule who compete in the Battle of the Breeds in september at the Masters. THey won finally last year or the year before.

When did it become outlawed and for US only or Canada as well??

P.