The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Barn Interior: should I paint or varnish?

Looking for suggestions for the place I started leasing. I will need to sand or pressure wash the stall fronts, sand down the metal bars and repaint them (black). Once I do the stall fronts though, should I paint them or stain/varnish them?

I think the boards on the front are oak but whoever re-made the stall doors used pine. I would love to varnish the front but I am concerned about the doors not matching.

Any suggestions?

Photo:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1051037955

Sorry for the poor quality, I took the photo with my phone.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

I would varnish. Paint will chip and horses will eat it off, etc....lots of maintenance.

If you varnish, for the matching problem, try a bit on each wood, then see if you need to add a stained varnish to one or the other wood to get the colors to match.

I think sandblasting would be a problem no matter what you used on the wood, so perhaps don't do that?
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

I would pressure wash and see how it all looks. If it all looks nice, I don't know that I would invest the time and $$$ into a place I was leasing. Nice barn though.

I think you're going to have a big problem trying to match stains/varnish.

When you're testing colors and types, get samples for the opaque deck stains and see if that works. You might have to experiment a little.

That's a nice barn - and awfully cute horses!

Oh - what you might end up doing is going with a 2 color design. It may sound wonky but what I did was paint the barn interior and doors black, and I varnished the aisle walls. I know it sounds awful but it looks great. (the black was to help keep face flies out of the barn - I live in a wetland and there are a lot of cattle around)
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Ah I missed the photo. It looks JUST like my barn inside, except mine is 4 stalls. I don't have mine painted OR varnished. Just natural wood. It's about 12 years old and looks just fine.

For what reason do you want to paint/varnish?
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

I would not put much $$ and effort into a "leased " barn ~ just clean lightly. * Unless the owner is picking up the bills ~ then I would varnish.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Pressure-wash with a bleach dilution (WEAR GOGGLES AND CLOTHES THAT DON'T MIND GETTING BLEACHED) and the right nozzle setting so you strip off the coating but don't wreck the lumber.

You could also rent a sand-blaster, I think.

Whatever you do, WEAR GOGGLES.

Useful hints (google for more):

http://www.logfarmbuilding.com/good-practices.php

No question, varnish. The barn is simple and lovely. Keep it that way. I don't find the two types of wood to be at all distracting. Paint makes a barn look dirty. When I moved into my barn, it was stained. It looked lovely. The owner has since painted everything white. I just don't think it looks nice and it's alway high maintenance keeping it clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Melelio View Post
    For what reason do you want to paint/varnish?
    Yes I am leasing it but hopint this will be a long-term comittment. My last place I leased I was there for 5 years.

I do boarding, lessons and train. I want to spiffy up the place and give it a face-lift to make it look more "high-end" for business purposes.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

I did this when I moved into my place last spring. I used the opaque deck stain that JSwan mentioned. there was nothing wrong with the interior, it was just older grey looking wood, even after being cleaned with bleach. I picked the color called chestnut, just because of the name mainly, but it was also a nice medium brown. If I remember in the morning when I get home to feed I'll snap a picture for you.
    I'm really happy with the way it turned out, and it hides the dust and barn dirt rather well.

Here's the front of my stalls, I used Behr's solid stain in chestnut. Its really runny so it soaks into the wood, and I haven't had a problem with chewing so far.

http://community.webshots.com/album/579257491xUGjZV

Please excuse the grumpy face, he's wondering why theres picture taking going on instead of breakfast.
    Last edited by twomany; Dec. 3, 2010 at 08:49 AM. Reason: added link

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I agree with Melelio - if you don't own why invest the $$$ & labor?

Pressure washing will probably brighten up the place quite a bit, but if you're in a cold climate that won't be the way to go until it warms up a bit.

My place is 6yo and I used unfinished wood (oak) for the stalls (barn is a metal pole building).
    They still look good as new and all I do is occasionally wipe them down with a wet towel.

For the metal bars use Rustoleum paint - lasts 4-EVER!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I agree with doing nothing myself. Especially if you don't own it.

Otherwise, I like Olympic deck stain which I used on my barn and fences. I did the fences with solid Mystic Black and stall doors with Forest green. Looks great IMO.
    Last edited by birdsong; Dec. 3, 2010 at 11:21 AM.
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

They have wood bleaching solutions at like Lowes or Home Depot. Im not sure exactly how they differ from a bleach diluted mixture but I used the premade product.

Put it into a landscape sprayer (like for pesticide and what not on flowers, etc), spray the wood, and then use a pressure washer to spray it off. Not only takes off the dirt but also any mold/mildew/moss/etc.

I then used a deck stain that protects the wood from mildew and fading due to UV rays. I personally used a semi transparent as I wanted a more opaque look but to still see the wood grain. For my doors, I have the X's on the front, so I used the black stain on the X and around the edge of the door
    (http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...88002_0001.jpg)

I used this but obviously whatever you have available (http://www.olympic.com/Stain/Find_Pr...protector.aspx)

I was going to stain or varnish the rest of the wood but never got around to it (lots of work). Plus I like the look of the natural wood. But if I had the time and money, I think a clear varnish would look nice.

If you go with the cleaning and then varnish, do the older oak part first. Maybe with the bleaching/cleaning it will lighten up and then when you apply the varnish, you can see what color it comes to and then try to get close with a stain for the inside parts of the doors?
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

The two different woods in the same space don't need to match! Think about your house...I'm sitting in my kitchen and the oak wood floors look great with my cherry cabinets which look great with light colored wood stools which look great with my wood table! It won't be any different in a barn. In my barn at any given time you see unfinished rough oak, finished tounge and grove oak, and unfinished polar. I'm quite happy with it. (and Martha Stewart liked it too! )

Clean the walls and varnish the doors so they are different. Don't try to match because close-but-not-quite is the worst outcome.

(I've used tung oil in my barn and it was easy to apply and easier to touch up when it gets dinged.)

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    I agree with Melelio - if you don't own why invest the $$$ & labor?
    I can understand this sentiment but I'm in the same situation as the OP...opened a boarding & lesson barn in June.

My feeling is...even though I don't OWN the property it is MY business that people are looking at. Most people don't want to board at a "dump"..."dirty barn"..."old barn"...they don't come on the property and say "oh she's just leasing the place so its ok that the paint is chipped" so spending a little $$ is worth it to me. The barn is a reflection on ME and my BUSINESS.

Paint/stain is the cheapest way to go to give any place a facelift. The barn I lease was previously painted so I chose to go with paint...a pale gray instead of white. If I had the barn the OP has I would clean and STAIN for the facelift.

All this being said...I obviously will spend a little $ on the leased property but I'm not doing something crazy like building an outdoor arena with my $$...so spending some $ on your BUSINESS in my opinion is necessary.

I threw a couple coats of a dark stain on the wood (literally threw it on with a giant paint brush- my perfectionist father in law was appalled that I was not rubbing it on and wiping it off.) It hides a TON of dirt and grime. I spar varnished (rolled on with a roller actually), which you wouldn't have to do. Here are some in-progress pics

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0...D550/ry%3D400/

before varnish- http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9...D550/ry%3D400/

Quote Originally Posted by dmalbone View Post
    I threw a couple coats of a dark stain on the wood (literally threw it on with a giant paint brush- my perfectionist father in law was appalled that I was not rubbing it on and wiping it off.) It hides a TON of dirt and grime. I spar varnished (rolled on with a roller actually), which you wouldn't have to do. Here are some in-progress pics

before varnish- http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9...D550/ry%3D400/
    Lovely!
    Bernard M. Baruch

Quote Originally Posted by thrghbrd View Post
    I can understand this sentiment but I'm in the same situation as the OP...opened a boarding & lesson barn in June.

My feeling is...even though I don't OWN the property it is MY business that people are looking at. Most people don't want to board at a "dump"..."dirty barn"..."old barn"...they don't come on the property and say "oh she's just leasing the place so its ok that the paint is chipped" so spending a little $$ is worth it to me. The barn is a reflection on ME and my BUSINESS.

Paint/stain is the cheapest way to go to give any place a facelift. The barn I lease was previously painted so I chose to go with paint...a pale gray instead of white. If I had the barn the OP has I would clean and STAIN for the facelift.

All this being said...I obviously will spend a little $ on the leased property but I'm not doing something crazy like building an outdoor arena with my $$...so spending some $ on your BUSINESS in my opinion is necessary.

EXACTLY!

There are lots of nice barns in my area and in order for me to attract better boarding prices I have to make the barn more attractive. I am working on "curb appeal" and also need to do some interior beautification.

I figure if I invest a couple of hundred in paint, it will pay of in the long run by allowing me to charge higher boarding prices and be more competetive with the nicer barns in the area.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Default Lovely Barn

Dmalbone - That is what a barn is supposed to look like How nice!