The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Clinton Anderson Signature Horses

COME ON. REALLY?!

I used to really like CA, but this tips me over the edge.

http://www.downunderhorsemanship.com...ure_horses.cfm

Does Pepperoni have anything like this yet? I can only see where this is going.

I'm changing all my sale horses to "ECG Certified horses." Not only do they have good ground manners, stay out of your personal space, they trail ride and do something functional, like eventing. Now, I just need to triple their price tags and get a fancy marking plan.

I'd pay extra NOT to have one of his horses. I can't help but wonder how long his training projects have until they end up with bad hocks or a bum knee. His methods are not kind, and judging by what I saw at his clinic, he can't even tell when a green horse is so out of balance she can't canter the way he demands. He also enjoys mocking horse owners who pay for frivolous things like vet care (when pain may be reason for misbehavior); his seemed to be why pay for a vet if you can force any horse to work.

(sorry I am just not a fan)

Ok so I am NOT NOT NOT a fan of Pepperoni or CA's way of training or this bogus "signature horses" thing, but does anyone else thing CA is kind of cute.....? Maybe it's just the accent thing or maybe I have been studying for exams for far too long.... haha

C linton
    A nderson
    S ignature
    H orses

= CASH

At least he has truth in advertising!

It's called marketing. I can't fault him for this approach. In every breed or discipline there are people who gravitate and value the "name". Doesn't interest me, but that doesn't mean that it won't work very well for someone else.

Free enterprise and all that.

Not all are registered, for what that's worth.

Where he is now is Horse Country. Working horses that do all that 'stuff' and he just gets his assistants to polish it, clean those horses up, and call it macaroni. Would I pay 20K for a trail horse? Of course not. And while it just makes me shake my head right there with ya, at least these folks that are paying that, MAYBE will sit up and listen and learn how it's done. 20K is not small money in anyone's mind...surely?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

I dunno, from the site:

exceptionally well-trained to offer you dependability, safety and the opportunity to accelerate your horsemanship with ease unlike you have ever imagined.
    Is it a horse? Or a sedan? 'Cause I can buy that Cooper Mini I've been coveting for that kind of money and get those same 3 features (well switch out horesmanship for driving skills).

In the video it claims the "Personal Training Session Ranch Ride" is a $2,000 value! Can you imagine!

1 members found this post helpful.

I think I'm going to barf...truly...how gullible can someone be? That is over the top. I was kind of ambivalent on CA until now. Now I rank him right there with Parelli for marketing distastefulness.

FWIW, I have been to a CA clinic and I thought he was pretty rough. He is easy on the eyes and looks good in his jeans but seriously...to pay $20k for one of his "signature" horses? The video was like he was selling a car with certain "features." Yuck, yuck, yuck!

Linda P is probably kicking herself for not thinking of this first.

I've heard that there is a waiting list for these horses...proof that "a fool and his money are soon parted"
    JB-Infinity Farm
    www.infinitehorses.com

*holds the bucket for Day's barf* there there hun it'll be all right as soon as you out to the barn and hug your horse. 20k for a trail horse is just not right and I don't see where any of these horses have any kind of show experience either. He is a damn fine LOOKING cowboy though but he can keep his hands off my horse/pony. I see what him and Pepperoni do to these horses and just shake my head in wonder knowing I've done the same thing with less trauma and a helluva lot more success. (Minus the shanking, that's one practice I've never done even to a most deserving stud.)
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Google LaCense Montana...I think the have NH approved QH's.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Doesn't the Atwood Ranch have the PP trained horses now?

I think LaCense started with PP. When they started, a PP instructor told me she wouldn't pay what they were asking for the horses...
    "And I will be an embarrassment to all
    Who have not found the peace in being free
    to have a horse as a best friend."

Quote Originally Posted by meaty ogre View Post
    C linton
    A nderson
    S ignature
    H orses

= CASH

At least he has truth in advertising!

I will say that almost all those rather commercial trainers sell horses for large prices justified by their extensive training in that particular method... and it's understandable; their target audience is the middle-aged woman slightly timid about horses, and they will pay more for a horse that is literally guaranteed to be safe and broke, and why shouldn't they? If I had money to burn and just wanted a horse to pet and hop on for a trail ride every now and then, I'd pay for the simplicity of it all. Sure, there are plenty of dead quiet, kind, ranch-broke QHs out there going for crazy cheap prices, but if I were totally new to horses and found the shopping process overwhelming, the "guaranteed" horses would be more appealing--you *know* an expert has given the horse the thumbs-up, so you feel like it's a reasonable purchase.

However, I think the *way* he's advertising it is super-creepy... I agree that it sounds way more like a luxury car than a horse!

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    If I had money to burn and just wanted a horse to pet and hop on for a trail ride every now and then, I'd pay for the simplicity of it all. Sure, there are plenty of dead quiet, kind, ranch-broke QHs out there going for crazy cheap prices, but if I were totally new to horses and found the shopping process overwhelming, the "guaranteed" horses would be more appealing--you *know* an expert has given the horse the thumbs-up, so you feel like it's a reasonable purchase

However, I think the *way* he's advertising it is super-creepy... I agree that it sounds way more like a luxury car than a horse!
    Well, yeah, but even so, you can get a good BNT NH-trained, "exchangeable", QH trail horse for less than $10k even here in the PNW (land of the NH obsessed). Why would you pay $20k if that was what you wanted?

I find his advertising style completely creepy. It's like all the horses are interchangeable as opposed to each having their own quirks and personalities. Even the best trained horses I've met are individuals.

[FTR, I wouldn't buy one. I like my trail horses cheap and in need of training/weight/hoof care so I can screw them up myself... ]
    Last edited by UrbanHennery; Nov. 24, 2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: punctuation

Certified pre-owned car....

do they come branded with this signature? I mean, it should be possible to tell what a phenomenal specimen it is even after I done did my n00b stuff with it and undone all training possible...

(well, bless his heart, I think the idea is basically good, but it hinges on his name and thus the price...but you know how people are....the price must make this horse better. I wonder if they go to the auction, by the poor saps and then 'turn them around' and give them the stamp of approval)

and LOL at the 'trained by his certified clinicians' - in plain speak he ain't touching them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I'm not a fan of CA marketing- had free tickets to his 2 day show in Kansas City this past January. I wanted to see more training and less product pimping during the event but I"m smart enough to understand the nature of product endorsement. I also saw him in Topeka a few years back at one of his weekend clinics where folks pay big bucks for 2 or 3 days of training. I am a fan of his training methods and the sequence which are logical for horse and rider, IMO.

I've seen CA tell owners in the kindest words possible "the horse you have now is not suited for you." I admire that in him. FTR, it was clear to me on both occasions that the owner (both were middle aged women) were dangerously overmounted.

I have one friend who is one of those *weekend women riders* who has little talent on horseback. Her horse is awful- was orphaned and raised by her and has every bad characteristic of an adult horse that was orphaned at birth. She went to a CA clinic a couple years back and came back a different rider and yes, she had studied his methods and was prepared to try what she had, only to that point, read about. She isn't a pro, not even a good weekend rider, but she is much better and now able to manage her horse's bad behavior. The ball is in her court- if she wants to ever do fun stuff she'll have to get another horse.

I've never seen a CACH in person but it won't be your average trail horse and it won't need show experience to command it's price. It will side pass, pivot, have three gaits on the buckle, open gates, walk through a herd of cattle, stand tied, accept clipping, ignore machines and autos, ride through the toughest possible terrain and water, ignore barking dogs at it's heels, ingore bicylcles, ATV and hunters on foot with rifles, won't be herd bound, will lead, follow or get out of the way. I *guess* it will be a horse that would be able to sit all week then take out it's owner safely on the weekend ride. It will have every desireable characteristic of a good, safe trail riding horse. Arena riding isn't anything like trail riding.

I guess I would say take your horse out of the arena and on a trail and encounter all the things mentioned above with your horse staying in the gait of your choice on a loose rein. If your horse can do it, you have a $20,000 horse. Better if your horse is good looking. If your horse can't do it, start training it and see how long it takes. When done, figure out your time & expenses and see if you came out ahead.

If you want to see some bat *hit crazy riding go watch a Craig Cameron "Extreme Cowboy Race" in your area. The good people are REALLY good. The bad people are REALLY bad and dangerous, IMO. That whole venue seems to be built on "get 'er done" whatever it takes, cowboy up. I love all the new avenues available for horse owners to enjoy their horses but there is still enough Pony Club in me that a rider must have sound & safe basics before progressing. Those competitions where speed determines the winner can bring out some bad stuff.

Urban Hennery, all his horses are brain-dead and only programmed to do whatever the rider/handler wants and is always on edge waiting for the next command whether it's walk, trot, or canter sideways into a brick wall or off a cliff. Whatever the rider wants, it's all good.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    I've never seen a CACH in person but it won't be your average trail horse and it won't need show experience to command it's price. It will side pass, pivot, have three gaits on the buckle, open gates, walk through a herd of cattle, stand tied, accept clipping, ignore machines and autos, ride through the toughest possible terrain and water, ignore barking dogs at it's heels, ingore bicylcles, ATV and hunters on foot with rifles, won't be herd bound, will lead, follow or get out of the way. I *guess* it will be a horse that would be able to sit all week then take out it's owner safely on the weekend ride. It will have every desireable characteristic of a good, safe trail riding horse. Arena riding isn't anything like trail riding.
    Apparently I've got 2 $20,000 trail horses then. Of course, the most expensive one only cost me $2000 plus another $2000 in trainer time (she coaches me training him). Even better, one of them is trained in reining and cutting (and he was the cheaper of the two) and came with all those skills for the high dollar figure of $1500.

I also know plenty of people that have bought trail horses that meet all that criteria from reputable trainers and none of them have paid more than $5000.

It doesn't take an overpriced expert to make a good trail horse. It just takes a sane horse trained with a consistent hand/style.

[FWIW, I'm a trail rider that dabbles in reining. I expect all of my horses to be able to do those things and so do most of the other "trail riders" I know.]