The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is There A BB Gun Powerful Enough To

Puncture a horse, and lodge a BB half an inch into the muscle?

Our neighbors horse had a welt, about 3 inches around on her chest, with a bloody hole in the center. She extracted a small metal round object from it.

I would think an air powered pellet gun could do this, but from how she described the object, it sounded like a BB or Buckshot.

Could this happen, and how close would someone have to be to get a BB that deep in a well muscled horses chest?

Anyone have any insight on this?

Thank you
    FMO:OMG I almost put my eye out hunting clique.

shotgun with a wide spray at distance is where I'd put my money. I've been shot closish range by a bbgun and while it left a nasty bruise and welt, it didn't break the skin. I think you'd need more OMPH behind it than compressed air to break skin.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Catersun View Post
    shotgun with a wide spray at distance is where I'd put my money. I've been shot closish range by a bbgun and while it left a nasty bruise and welt, it didn't break the skin. I think you'd need more OMPH behind it than compressed air to break skin.
    Thank you for your answer, this is what I am thinking as well.

I know what it takes to push and 18 gauge needle into a horse. And could not imagine that even an air fired BB gun could do that sort of damage. Maybe with the very first shot, with the gun pressed to the mares chest, but not from a distance.

I am sure there will be other answers, and I hope we can shed some light on this.

Her second horse had a small bloody round mark on his leg, the very next day.

I would like to get to the bottom of this for my very own peace of mind.

Thank you again for taking time out of your day to answer!

Yes....if it is one of those with pump to increase pressure or one that runs on compressed CO2 cannisters. Or it could be a .22 shot.....one of my horses came up with one of these this summer after a drunken neighbor threatened to kill me and animals because a dog barked (from my own yard) at his kid as she ran into my driveway to catch the school bus...no damage, just a bark. Horse showed up with .22 hole in upper leg (missed bone) a week later. HMMMMMM. Couldn't prove it was the neighbor. A .22 can travel a mile or more so could have been a coyote hunter or someone target shooting but.....

Is/was it turkey hunting season? Is 'BB' perfectly round?

A BB gun will not puncture the horse hide from very far away. Get some calipers and measure the size of the 'BB'. I'm too am betting on stray shot from a shotgun.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

but indeed...

May I ask, the size of the hole the .22 made?

And would you please be so kind as to clarify what you mean by.22? A .22 rifle ment to shoot pellets?

Yes an air rifle can shoot far, the very first shot. But a pump Daisy BB, even at close range, getting through hide, with a subcutaneous hematoma of that size, and the object that deep in the horse...

Is it just me.. or does that seem pretty improbable?

If the horse was peppered with shot, it was shot from a distance.

If it had been shot up close with any type of shotgun, you'd know it. Even if the shotgun had no choke, the pattern would have been unmistakable. So would the damage.

If it's small and made out of lead, it could be rat shot. That is (I think) #12 shot? Guess it could be snake shot too.

A .22 round makes a nice neat little hole - but you would extract an expended round, not shot.

A scenario might be some drunk asshat taking a potshot at the horse from the road or fenceline.

Hope the horse is ok.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by 2bee View Post
    Is/was it turkey hunting season? Is 'BB' perfectly round?

A BB gun will not puncture the horse hide from very far away. Get some calipers and measure the size of the 'BB'. I'm too am betting on stray shot from a shotgun.
    I am not sure, it seems to always be idiot season out here.

Please bear with me, I was not there, she retrieved the object by," popping it out like a zit" . She said it was round, and the size of a BB, but had a small flat section.

Her mare is a tank, soild as a rock QH.

I did however see the entry, and it was pretty much perfectly round and the size of a BB.

I have not seen the wound on the other horse.

I told them to walk around their pasture to look for spray, or other shot.

Thanks for your answers. I appreciate your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    If the horse was peppered with shot, it was shot from a distance.

If it had been shot up close with any type of shotgun, you'd know it. Even if the shotgun had no choke, the pattern would have been unmistakable. So would the damage.

If it's small and made out of lead, it could be rat shot. That is (I think) #12 shot? Guess it could be snake shot too.

A .22 round makes a nice neat little hole - but you would extract an expended round, not shot.

A scenario might be some drunk asshat taking a potshot at the horse from the road or fenceline.

Hope the horse is ok.
    Thanks JSwan, they are pretty far off of the road, but someone has be be in the acerage behind their property.

Thank God the mare was not peppered, but plenty of signage and mailboxes around here are. Absoulute agreement about the shotgun.

I will look into both rat and snake shot, thank you for that info!!

That sounds like a grain of shot. A rifle round would look different and would probably require a vet to dig it out.

Make a police report. If some moron is out there using animals for target practice, maybe there are other reports.

When your friend search the pastures, look for small tubes of colored plastic with a metal cap on one end. That is what is ejected or removed from the shotgun once it has been fired.

Check fencelines, near treelines, alongside the road and ditches.

Just FYI - snake and rat shot are fired from a pistol - not a shotgun.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Does the flat spot on the shot have a little dent in it, or is it absolutely flat?

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    That sounds like a grain of shot. A rifle round would look different and would probably require a vet to dig it out.

Make a police report. If some moron is out there using animals for target practice, maybe there are other reports.

When your friend search the pastures, look for small tubes of colored plastic with a metal cap on one end. That is what is ejected or removed from the shotgun once it has been fired.

Check fencelines, near treelines, alongside the road and ditches.

Just FYI - snake and rat shot are fired from a pistol - not a shotgun.

Great advice.

I shoot enough to know what to look for from a shotgun.

As for a Police report. * deep cleansing breath* She was told an Officer would get back to her with in 48 hours. I went and took some pictures for her .

We are changing over from our local dispatch, to County 911. She said the phone rang a good forty times, and I believe her. Good thing none of us were dying huh!

This was not a rifle wound, it had to be spray. Her husband however is sticking to his notion that this was from a BB gun.

Having shot ( with a needle) horses, and shot guns, I just am not convinced that any BB gun could do that type of damage.

Not from too far away to see.

But, hey, I have been wrong before, it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    Does the flat spot on the shot have a little dent in it, or is it absolutely flat?
    Sorry to say Tom, I do not know.

Poor thing was pretty shook up, and she took care of her horse as soon as she saw this. She said it was round and looked like a BB, but was not bright and shiny. She said it had a small surface that was flat.

Her hands were shaking so hard, and she was bloody, she dropped it , and of course, can not find it.

But, I would deeply appriciate your thoughts on what you believe this could be.

Thank you.

If you hold a bb gun up against the skin or just a few inches away, it can penetrate depending on the exact gun.

Hope you find out who is doing this and soon.

Quote Originally Posted by horsefaerie View Post
    If you hold a bb gun up against the skin or just a few inches away, it can penetrate depending on the exact gun.

Hope you find out who is doing this and soon.

Thank you

A BB is .172 to .173 cal... the newer .177 cal air rifles can reach velocities of up to 1250 FPS (feet per second) ...the .177 may appear to be a BB

We have a Beeman air rifle and its pretty powerful. Its a single pump that can shoot either a BB or a pellet. Not at all like the old Daisy BB-gun.
    http://www.beeman.com/

It doesn't have much range though. Poor horse.

sounds like it could be a pellet from a pellet gun-- they are round with one flat side.
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

Ballistics is a pretty good science, but you have to examine the round to determine what it was.

A round ball might be a BB. It could also be a piece of shot from a shot gun. IIRC BBs are made of a copper colored metal (really don't know what it is) while most buckshot will be lead. This also comes in multiple calibers. Regular shotgun shot can be either lead or steel.

Lots of people also use black powder weapons for sport, re-enactments, etc. The smallest weapon I've ever see was a .22 cal. Pepperbox. They can go as high as .75 cal. (the biggest I've ever seen; there might be bigger ones). The ball would likely be a home cast piece of lead.

If it's not round then it could be anything. The .22 cal. round has a very long travel, but looses energy so there's not much penetration at impact. Heavier cal. rounds have longer effective range, but not such a long travel. There's also a .17 cal. HMR round that's commonly used for hunting varmits due to its very flat trajectory.

Air powered pellet guns can be quite deadly. They are not toys. Neither are BB guns.

Without a knowledgeable examination of the round you really don't know what weapon was used.

G.

I had this same thing happen to a horse I was leasing once! He had a funny bump on his side, andI picked off the scab and I saw something shiny under his skin. I popped it like a zit, and out popped a BB! He was in a pasture with other horses, and no one else had any strange injuries on them. I"m sure it was a BB, as we own one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ware Whip! View Post
    I am not sure, it seems to always be idiot season out here.

Please bear with me, I was not there, she retrieved the object by," popping it out like a zit" . She said it was round, and the size of a BB, but had a small flat section.

Her mare is a tank, soild as a rock QH.

I did however see the entry, and it was pretty much perfectly round and the size of a BB.

I have not seen the wound on the other horse.

I told them to walk around their pasture to look for spray, or other shot.

Thanks for your answers. I appreciate your thoughts.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products