The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Will someone please start a hunt in Utah!

I just moved to Utah. Of course I had to move to one of the few states without a recognized hunt, which is unbelievable since there is so much land (not to mention the mountains and scenery is gorgeous!), foxes, coyotes, cooler climate, and I've already had several people show interest.

Anyone want to come out west and get one going...pleeeeeaase?

Hey, I'm behind ya all the way! I can get hounds and have had offers of 400,000 acres for starters. But I have neither the time nor the money to lead the charge!

One less expensive option- huntin' jackrabbits with beagles (or harriers) on horseback- truck on down to Paradise Valley in AZ for a test drive.

Also, again if I ever had the time, several western packs would come and have a 'hunt week' here.

Meanwhile, hey, when I'm going hunting somewhere I will let you know- a number of packs within a day's drive, I like to go when there are several consecutive days of hunting!

FYI closest pack is in Battle Mountain NV, a mere 6 hours away, and they have packs that hunt coyote, bear and lion, so, one stop shopping!

Thanks for the support Beverly! I think a lot of people forget about Utah.

FYI closest pack is in Battle Mountain NV, a mere 6 hours away, and they have packs that hunt coyote, bear and lion, so, one stop shopping!
    I used to think 1.5 hours was a haul to drive to hunt in TX! And now 6 hours?!?! I suppose it's worth it when you've got the bug.

They hunt bear and lion?!

Quote Originally Posted by Zugabe View Post
    They hunt bear and lion?!
    Sure, lots of houndsmen in these parts who use hounds to hunt bear and lion, typically shooting their quarry after a lengthy track and chase (as in, can be as long as 24 hours, when you reach a point where you can go no further on horseback, you tie up your horse and keep going on foot, you'll come back for the horse eventually!).

When there is a rogue bear or lion on public land (as in, has eaten a human), local houndsmen are generally contacted to come in and help find the offending critter.

In fact Lynn Lloyd got her original Walker hounds from local Nevada lion hunters, after her initial pack of English hounds didn't suit her hunting tastes.

Lynn's hounds can, and do, hunt anything. The Battle Mountain folks do guided hunting for bear and lion and have separate packs for each, in addition to their foxhounds. In fact one of the old steady hounds in their foxhound pack when I hunted with them was in fact an older hound from their bear pack upon which they relied as an anchor for the younger hounds. He learned his new quarry and never strayed from hunting coyote. Cool hound, he actually had a bit of airedale in him.

Default McDermitt, NV

Lynn and the Red Rock hounds will be in McDermitt (oregon/NV) border this coming weekend, Nov 6-7. I think they'll hunt fri - sunday. Great country, lots of chase. I'm not hunting this year, but am delivering a horse to a friend there on Sunday...

Anytime you can hunt with RRH is worth it!