The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Talk to me about red wine

Ok COTHers this ought to be fun. I don't know anything about red wine but that it can be beneficial if done in moderation, like a glass a day. But I'm not a drinker so I have no clue what I should pick up. My friend and I are going to a wine & cheese festival soon (not sure where or when- she told me that I AM GOING so I guess I'm going) so I know I will learn about it some there but can someone on here tell me some good relatively cheap red wine I should be drinking? The times I have had wine I always preferred sweeter wine but again I don't know anything about wine so please COTHers enlighten me

This is my favorite Red Wine:

http://www.grayfoxfarms.com/redwine.htm

Yellowtail has some really nice blends! I can't remember the mixes but purple and bright blue are my favorites, really easy drinking wines.

Also, love Glenora's Bobsled red, another easy going table wine.

If you don't like dry, I would tend to stay away from Chianti (unless enjoying with fava beans!).

I generally don't care for red wines as like you I prefer my wines a bit on the sweeter side. I found that I enjoy something like the Lambrusco. I also found, when in Napa, that I really liked the much more expensive red wines (like you pay to taste them and the cost was $50/bottle back about 10 years ago. So perhaps (except for the Lambrusco) I have expensive taste?

With white wines I've found I hate the oak taste (most Chardonnay's) but like something light like some of the german wines ($7-$10/bottle at local Supermarket).
    Sandy in Fla.

Depends on your definition of cheap! I like Pinot Noirs best myself, and my faves are Grayson, Firesteed, and Cloudline. All of these are under $20, most around $12-14 usually. Pinot is a very easy to drink red, and a great starting point. If you like a spicier wine, try a shiraz or syrah. Smoking Loon and Rosemount are decent shiraz wines. A red zinfandel is a nice robust wine with an easier finish than a cabernet. Try Cline. Have fun, I love wine!

Quote Originally Posted by Heliodoro View Post
    Yellowtail has some really nice blends! I can't remember the mixes but purple and bright blue are my favorites, really easy drinking wines.
    The purple is a Shiraz Cabernet and the bright blue is a Cabernet Merlot - haven't had the first but like the Cabernet Merlot. I also like that blend from Jacob's Creek.

While I like many of the blends, my favorite red will always be a nice Beaujolais.

I thought this was going to be about the stallion Red Wine. Since it's not, and although I personally prefer a drier wine, I found this on sale in my grocery store for $7: http://www.horseplaywines.com/horse_play_wines.html I'll let you know how it is around 5:05 today

Just to keep it HR, I also like the "Wild Horse" cabernet a lot - haven't tasted their merlot, but I bet it's nice. http://www.wildhorsewinery.com/

Go to wine tastings and try a bunch to find out what you like. Drink what you like; everyone's tastes are different. Many restaurants have wine tastings as do some of the larger stores like Bev Mo or Total Wine (at least in SoCal). Total Wine charges a very nominal fee (like a quarter to try 4 wines).

I prefer reds by a long shot. Had a great bottle of Lang & Reed red last night, it's 100% Cabernet Franc. Even when in Europe, I never had a bottle of French wine that I liked as much as a California wine, or a Chilean wine for that matter. Had a bottle of a red blend with the Decoy label (Duckhorn's second label) that was also excellent a week or so ago.

As far as Pinot Noirs go; My faves are Nyers, Cubanisimo, and St. Innocent.

I've been concentrating on the bubbly lately. Muum Napa makes some very interesting sparkly reds.

First off, no Yellowtail. They have become a major contributor to HSUS and, as such, are on my personal "do not buy" list (along with Levi Strauss, Sara Lee, etc.).

Most of our reds come from Spain. I discovered the Spanish wines during a visit to Barcelona in '71. We had just come from a week in Cannes. The contrast between French and Spanish was stark. The French wines were very good and very expensive. The Spanish wines were very good and very inexpensive. Another one of those "no brainers," what?!?!?!

Some of our favorites (in no particular order):

http://www.wine.com/v6/Marques-de-Ca...ry=608&ct=1925

http://www.marquesderiscal.com/index.php

http://www.leadingbrandsofspain.com/food/sangredetoro/

http://www.bodegasfaustino.com/eng/1024x768.htm

If you've got some discipline (and a basement/cellar) you can buy recent vintages green and put them down for a few years. This can result in a significant savings. We are now drinking from the 2004 shelf. Most of that stuff was bought for under $10/bottle (and some under $5.00). Today they run $20+/bottle. We'll soon be making another run to our favorite wine shop and will be buying mostly '07, '08, and '09. They are low cost right now (world econmic conditions, don't you know).

Consider, too, wines from Portugal. There's more there than just Port. Dao produces a good line of reds. One of our favorite whites is vinho verde. These, too, are generally modestly priced and of excellent quality.

Even domestic reds can be improved with a little tincture of time. Buy the generic magnums from good vinters (like Robert Mondavi), note the month and year bought on the label with a ball point pen, and put it under your bed for 12 months. The improvement in quality will flat astound you.

Spain also has an excellent selection of white wines. Many of the bodegas noted above have fine quality whites at very reasonable prices.

We're not Oenophiles by any streatch of the imagination but we know what we like. Spain and Portugal produce outstanding products at fair prices.

G.

I just had this:

http://www.wine.com/V6/Zuccardi-Q-Ma...38/detail.aspx

and it was delicious.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

We need to make this horse related so how about a nice Marelot or a pinto noir. Sometimes I even like a caber-neigh.

What?! Wine drinking isn't horse related?? Who knew ...
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

For someone new to wine, California Pinot Noirs are generally quite friendly and you can get tasty bottle in the $10-20 range. One of my favorites for a glass in the evening is Mark West's Pinot Noir. Reg price is $12.99 but I can generally find it on sale for $10.

Also check out Shiraz from New Zeeland and Austrailia. Generally very tasty and they range from light, rich, and fruity, to dark and very full-bodied.

Wow everyone thanks for all of the suggestions. Looks like I'll be hitting the ABC store this evening.

Now another question...how do you keep red wine after it's been opened? I prefer cold drinks but I also don't want to have vinegar tomorrow either. I doubt seriously I'll finish a bottle in one night as I am sooooooooo not a drinker and if I do finish a bottle in one night I hearby apologize in advance for any unusual behavior and indiscernible mutterings from the likes of me. Please do not hold me accountable for anything that I might say or do after finishing a bottle of red and please for the love of all that is good and just in this world DO NOT LET ME NEAR THE GIVEAWAYS SECTION or any other free rideable horse section on the internet!

If you're not a drinker, and you are drinking red wine solely for the health benefits... how about a nice glass of welch's grape juice. same stuff, no booze.

My word, what have I said?

try everything. take notes
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

wine tasting.
    Pure and simple.

Also, wine tastes different with food, some they don't go well together, some make for a perfect compliment.

Also, the same grape form a different area can taste totally differen't.

My current staple is a Foxhorn merlot, had a nice Chilean one a little while ago.

But before you go in over your head, start with a small bottle. But you may also have to drink a few bottles to get the taste... (that is a perfectly fine activity for after a show/clinic, provided you have a driver who does not participate)

but mostly: don't let anybody talk you into liking something because that's wat everybody drinks. Find what's good to you.

(caveat, some people don't do well with red wine though...not everybody benefits from it, I pick up their slack though! )
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Quote Originally Posted by onelove View Post
    Wow everyone thanks for all of the suggestions. Looks like I'll be hitting the ABC store this evening.

Now another question...how do you keep red wine after it's been opened? I prefer cold drinks but I also don't want to have vinegar tomorrow either. I doubt seriously I'll finish a bottle in one night as I am sooooooooo not a drinker and if I do finish a bottle in one night I hearby apologize in advance for any unusual behavior and indiscernible mutterings from the likes of me. Please do not hold me accountable for anything that I might say or do after finishing a bottle of red and please for the love of all that is good and just in this world DO NOT LET ME NEAR THE GIVEAWAYS SECTION or any other free rideable horse section on the internet!

Red wine can be consumed either cold or room temp. It used to be the rule it was to be room temp and opened an hour before drinking. If you like it chilled though, try that, too.

I keep mine on the counter, the ever so luxurious screw top fastened, had nothing turn on me yet, even after 8 weeks in a blistering hot kitchen.

it does not turn that quick when you put a cork in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

I do love a good Malbec (Argentine wine) and one of my favorite vineyards is Stags Leap in Napa. Delicious stuff all around, although a little spendy. Worth it though.

And this may be sacriledge...but there is a boxed wine called Black Box or something (just look for the black box lol) that actually ain't bad. The wonderful thing about this wine is its equivalent to like 4 bottles or something and lasts a long time since its vaccum sealed. And its cheap! So since you say you're not a drinker, this might be a good option.

Oh, and the Costco brand alcohols in general are actually pretty good too! So far I've tried their Cab and Tequila. What can I say, I'm a cheap date!

8 weeks!!! Yikes!!!

Technically, recapped or corked and stored in the fridge you have 3 days. It may not be terribly off but will still not be right.

I struggle to finish a bottle during the week as I usually just want one glass with dinner before bed. The solution is box wine. Sounds gross....used to be it was only cheap crap but you can get decent box wine now and it will last much longer.

Good luck!!

ETA....great minds KateKat!!
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    I do love a good Malbec (Argentine wine) and one of my favorite vineyards is Stags Leap in Napa. Delicious stuff all around, although a little spendy. Worth it though.
    Stag's Leap Merlot For the Win....

Despite the sneers of some, I like Ravenswood and have for 20 years or more. If you can find any of their Sangiacomo vineyard merlots, ignore the pricetag and buy it. Not quite as spendy as the Stag's, but a very complex wine with TONS of good flavor.

I've also had several enjoyable bottles of the Ravenswood Sonoma County... which is available at the local Wally... Cheap, tasty, and versatile.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com