The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My 1st Show in 40+ years, or how Super Horse saved my life

Ok, I'm a 57 yr old rerider. I've been at it for the last 5 years. Well, I'm finally in a position where I've got the horse, the trainer and the will to do this. So, we did our first show this past weekend. Local circuit, but here in S. Florida, you can get stiff competition even at the local level. Wellington is right up the road.

I chose to debut in the 2'6-2'9 jumpers. My horse is a 7 yr old TB, although tattoed, he did not race. However, his former owner did show him at 3'0. He also rode drunk and tended to drive him through the jumps instead of over them, but that's another story.

We did 2 classes. In the first, I pulled a rail. My fault. In the second class, we went clear, and actually place 3rd to my great surprise!

I am more than pleased. I have a super horse, IMHO, bc there were a few times I could really have eaten it. He saved me. I love this horse.

So here are some pictures from that round.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...8512.597869289

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...6&id=597869289

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...7&id=597869289

Sounds like a good day and congratulations You may need to open the pictures up to everyone so they can see them, I couldn't pull them up.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Glad you had a great return to showing!! You sound like you have a wonderful horse. i could not see the pictures on either link.

Didn't work - you need to reset the privacy settings of the album so that "Everyone" can see it. You can click "Edit this album info" at the bottom of the album to make it visible to everyone.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

I can see other albums, but not that one.

From a 58 yr old re-rider with a super OTTB whose only jumping 18" but loving it...WOO HOO! Congratulations and thanks for the inspiration. Can't wait to see those pics!
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

Pics look great. Congratulations! It's such a big step. Continued success!

Congrats!

Wow, that's awesome. My 15 years off pale in comparison! Great job

I love these posts - I turned the dreaded "4-0" this year, and still feel and am surrounded by 25+ year olds in my barn. I hate my age - and feel more close to those so much younger then me, then those around my age.

Just bought a 2 year old tb/clyde cross after spending the last 3 years jumping my full clyde and falling in love with jumping.

I feel like I'm on the second half of my life, my children are almost gone, and I strive for role models around my age that are actually re-riders but are doing amazingly well.

Congratulations, I saw the images and you should be so proud, yep sometimes our horses bail our butts out - and sometimes we ride like we've never ridden before. Can't wait to see more photos and hear more about your adventures! Congratulations on finding that second half and embracing it! You looked amazing!

At least when you get in trouble you don't grab him in the mouth. What a lovely horse... and I'm sure the last picture is more typical of your riding.

That's teriffic! You are an inspiration to me...I just started riding again 3 months ago at age 48, after 30 years off, seeing what you've accomplished gives me hope.

Congratulations! I am an adult re-rider too, and 2'6 - 2'9 is my goal. Sometimes I worry that at 39 yrs. old I am not being realistic, and your story shows me that I can get there!

Keep at it ladies! So glad to hear all of your stories too. With the age comes more aches and pains, but also more patience. I, too, feel mentally much younger, in fact, I really have to struggle to accept myself as 57. I can't change it though. My DD also rides and feels it's selfish of me to have this horse, even though she can come and ride him if she wants, but being 15, she doesn't want mom's horse. Her loss. I figure I only have a limited window of opportunity and she will have the rest of her young life. She does ride other horses so she's not short of a horse to ride.

Thanks for all your support and good luck out there. Let's see more pics!

Congratulations!!! That is so great!!!! I just turned 51, and took a llllllong time off; well, well over 20 years! I'm hoping to do the same - but I am looking foward to trying hunter paces and trials. Never did that in my early days - it was all show, show, show!!! Not against doing that again, but ..... definitely taking a more relaxed attitude about it now and am not in the mood to "chase" points, etc.

Keep us posted! Awesome ...

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

Theres a saying that TB's are kind to children and Drunks, I guess we need to ad Older riders to the saying too. Fabulous post!

Well done!!! I remember my return to the show ring after 10 years, and that was scary enough... I can't imagine a hiatus as long as yours! Your horse looks like a saint, and I absolutely love his expression- it looks like he really enjoys his job. Keep at it!!