The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help Needed

Hi All -

One of us, a horse lover, is in need. Her 16 year old daughter has leukemia and the search is on for a bone marrow donor.

Gina Brown has been the foremost horse rescue person in central Vermont for the last 10 years - her rescue is called Spring Hill Horse Rescue (www.springhillrescue.com), and she has always risen to the challenge, e.g. when 110 animals, mostly equines, were seized from an abusive situation in hubbardton year before last. Well, her daughter is in the most need now, and there is a search for a bone marrow donator to help cure her daughter.

If you are able and in the area, there will be a needle-less bone marrow drive in Rutland - 11/13 at the Avanti Salon. However, you could register in your area, and be of help - and if not to Zoey, her daughter, to someone else's.

As expected during a time of great personal need, most of Gina's time is now spent in hospitals with her daughter, so her ability to fundraise for the rescue has been limited. If you don't want to offer your bone marrow, or can't, please consider giving in another way. Springhill is a non-profit.

Hoping you are all well!

Bump

Thanks, Tasia!

This needs to stay at the top!! Strong jingles and prayers to Gina and her daughter.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

I am a bone marrow donor long standing and a cancer pharma researcher. i have never been called but will do at the drop of a hat if needed.

anyone can get on the bone marrow registry via your local blood bank. You do not have to go to a donor drive.

Persons of color/ mixed race are desperately needed inthe data base.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

I haven't done it, but I understand that they can identify bone marrow donors by just a cheek swab or similarly painless procedure nowadays.

My sister has had a bone marrow transplant. In her case, it was autolygous (they used her own stem cells) and sadly she's not healthy enough now to be a candidate for a donor transplant.

Anyway, I know a little bit of how your friend must be feeling. I'll keep her daughter in my prayers.

That's what I meant by needle-less - it's a cheek swab. No pain, lots of gain. As an aside, my mother has leukemia too, but it's chronic, not acute (takes years to become active with chronic). But my Mum's in her 70's - she's had an amazing life! Zoey is only 16... So incredibly unfair.

Paint, so sorry to hear of your sister's plight. I wish you both the best you could possibly have, in your situation.

Health, hopefully, to all -