The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best horse sneakers for one round hoof and one oval hoof?

Hi, I was wondering if you could help. I ride my semi retiree out on ditch roads that can be rocky and fields one to two times a week. After a good experience with him barefoot last year while I was off for broodmare duties, I pulled his shoes again for this winter.

The ditch road we travel is quite rocky though, so his farrier and I decided it would be best if he got some sneakers for our weekly ride (mostly at the walk.) The problem is that one of his hooves is round and one is an oval (I would only use them on his fronts.) My farrier was concerned about finding a pair that would fit him well based on that. He said he thought he would wear a size 2. (His hooves have always been different since my farrier started shoeing him at 6 and he's 21 and still sound as an ex-racer and eventer, so the different shape feet have never bothered him, but they are markedly different in shape.)

Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

Old Mac's are a good choice. They will work with a rounder hoof, and you can use shims to get a more perfect fit. I use Old Mac's and have been very happy with them.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Keep in mind the possibility of buying one shoe from one brand and the other shoe from another!

Cavallo Simple boots fit a traditional (round) hoof, while their Sport boots fit a more oval shape.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Thanks for your ideas! I'm going to grab the shoes he had on and take them to a few tack shops as a starting point. I've been having trouble finding many brands locally. One shop has Boas and Easyboot Epics, so I guess I will start there. I have a few more to call. I'd love to find Old Macs and Cavallos!

Smile

hoofwings will make the boots to your horse's measurements, so that would work. www.hoofwings.com
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

Be careful of easy boots. We joke about the name and have for years, there is nothing easy about them. Granted, if you find the perfect style and your horse has the right foot, they can be great, but the search is maddening.

It is much easier to fit old macs or simple boots. You can get the measurements off the web and order them, it will be worth it. They are easier to put on and they stay on!

Quote Originally Posted by baylady7 View Post
    hoofwings will make the boots to your horse's measurements, so that would work. www.hoofwings.com
    Ditto.. when you have such differences in hoof shape, tis best to go custom with Hoofwings...
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Ditto.. when you have such differences in hoof shape, tis best to go custom with Hoofwings...
    I agree with this...costs more but probably worth it.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."